Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   If you had no hair, what would you do? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3476)

gmku 06.27.2006 10:24 AM

If you had no hair, what would you do?

Not all of us over 40 can keep our hair like Thurston. And though you young-uns have plenty now, time has a way of changing these things. From my teens through my late 20s, I had hair like Jim Morrison. In recent years, the front part of my doo has thinned considerably. In fact, though I can see hair in the mirror, when I look at pics of myself, it's like there's no hair there at all!

So for a while now I've been going with a buzz haircut. But every once in a while, I feel compelled to go as shaggy as I can go, and inevitably I start looking like an old fart trying to grow a comb-over.

What do you young uns think is cooler--shaggy and uncut but considerably bald up front, or buzzed all over?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.27.2006 10:28 AM

go with the buzzcut.
Some day Ill do the same, but my hair doesnt look to good short. And of course no one can resist long locks.

Glice 06.27.2006 10:29 AM

Depends on the person. And the age. 30-something with thinning hair, leather jacket and inadvisable wife is a big no no. 60 something with a mane of grey hair, proper full-on beard and general smart/casual dress is ace.

I'm quite looking forward to replacing hair with beard, proportional to my inevitable hair loss... although, luckily, my family have freakish anti-receding genes.

fishmonkey 06.27.2006 10:31 AM

just wear it whatever way makes you comfortable, i'm 28 and i dont really have this problem, i did have long hair for years and years, just shoulder length all the way round but just got so sick of the maintenance i said to myself one day..."fuck this" got a blade 3 all over and havent looked back since. I suppose i just reaced the point where the hair cut i had didnt really matter anymore, i just wanted the most plain boring haircut ever with the least amopunt of maintenance. Dont fret though man - my friend is in the same boat as you and he looks good... in fact there are loadsa men out there that look good bald.

Glice 06.27.2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnine
But I'm a girl. I'm not going bald. Ever.

One could read that in more than one way...

gmku 06.27.2006 10:33 AM

Yeah, I'm plagued with the old receding gene, unfortunately. I don't think I'll ever be able to sport the "mane of grey hair" look. Anyway, I've seen too many old men with that bald down to the ears but shoulder length below that. It's just weird. I wanna walk up with a scissors and sheer it all off.

The buzz is a comfortable style. Low maintenance, cool in the summer. And not unhip. Not hip either, but not unhip, if you know what I mean. Sort of a "non-haircut."

Onani Nic 06.27.2006 10:34 AM

if I was going bald I would get some sweet wigs like Keiji Haino. See going bald doesn't have to be boring

Tokolosh 06.27.2006 10:34 AM

I would get a cow to lick my head three times a day for a whole year till my hair grows back again.

Danny Himself 06.27.2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Seeing as how I like to dye my hair pretty colors, I would freak out.

But I'm a girl. I'm not going bald. Ever.

What about Gail Porter? She went bald and then everyone realised she had a really fat head.

Ahh!

fishmonkey 06.27.2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I would get a cow to lick my head three times a day for a whole year till my hair grows back again.

ha ha! priceless!

gmku 06.27.2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh

yeah, been there, done that. Didn't work.

Got a year's free supply of milk, though.

porkmarras 06.27.2006 10:49 AM

I'd put my bald head to very good use,that's all i'm saying.......

Glice 06.27.2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
if I was going bald I would get some sweet wigs like Keiji Haino. See going bald doesn't have to be boring

I'm pretty sure that's his real hair y'know.

And Saturnine, are you coming on to me? Because I'd have to report you to my Abbot if you are.

shentov 06.27.2006 10:53 AM

if my hair ever goes off i would definately buzz it short skinhead type. i am lucky enough to have nice skull shape. btw i look like that now.

m^a(t)h 06.27.2006 11:15 AM

ill be dead before 30, so im good...

luxinterior 06.27.2006 11:28 AM

Shaggy hair usually looks really stupid. Every single guy in my high school had hair like that. It made me think that none of them had the balls to either cut it really short (or bald altogether) or grow it out really long and risk getting called a fag.

If my hair started to thin, then I don't know. Contrary to popular belief on this board, I am in fact a girl. I wouldn't mind being bald, but I don't think it would suit me. My hair is really thick, and a few months ago it was about two feet longer than it is right now. I am comfortable with how it is now, medium-length or something. I've never dyed it, so I'm not sure if I would even bother with that if it started turning grey.

DemonBox 06.27.2006 11:52 AM

Wear a wig:p
nah, just kidding, do as you please man,as long as you feel good.

acousticrock87 06.27.2006 12:08 PM

If you're married, do what your wife wants. You will be better off for it.

Everyneurotic 06.27.2006 12:19 PM

i'd go skinhead and paint a black stripe in the middle of my skull.

wait, are we talking "head" hair or "body" hair?

gmku 06.27.2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
If you're married, do what your wife wants. You will be better off for it.

Yeah, she wants me buzzed. So that works.