Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A Scanner Darkly (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4160)

Heroic Dose 07.15.2006 01:11 AM

A Scanner Darkly

I've seen so much mention about this movie I figured I'd start a thread. Haven't seen it yet but plan to very soon!!! It looks and sounds great and I dig Linklater too....read a nice interview with him in the Austin Chronicle last week...you could probably find it online pretty easily if yer interested.

kingcoffee 07.15.2006 01:15 AM

This movie aught to be fucking amazing. I love the cast and I love the advances in the rotoscoping technology. I saw Waking Life and loved it!!! Now A Scanner Darkly is even better looking!!! Philip K. Dick was a genius writer and I can only imagine that Linklater will do him justice.

skiesfalling 07.15.2006 01:22 AM

I went and found the interview. He mentions some cool stuff about the animation similar to Waking Life but adapted for A Scanner Darkly.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...s_feature.html

Pax Americana 07.15.2006 01:29 AM

Philip K Dick was pretty awesome. I've head that this is the best adaptation of one his books to a movie yet.

contort:myself 07.15.2006 01:45 AM

I'm pysched for this movie.

Actually I'm planning on going to the movies alot in the coming weeks. I think i'll also be checking out the new clerks thing and the anchorman in a racecar also with ali g movie. they could all suck, but whatever. at least i'm going out to the movies. I haven't done that since i lived near the Kendall Square theater. No indie theaters out here in the sticks of the northeast.

acousticrock87 07.15.2006 02:14 AM

I thought that came out a long time ago. I saw previews for it, musta been two years ago or something? But I really want to see it, too. I contemplated reading it first, but decided to get Neuromancer instead. I'll have to pick that up now.

EyeballGrowth 07.15.2006 04:08 AM

sorry dudes, can't share the same enthusiasm. I'm a fucking huge Phillip K. Dick fan and A Scanner Darkly is my favorite book by him. I think they REALLY fucked themselves over making this movie. I loved Blade runner because it really captivated the atmosphere of Do Androids dream of electronic sheep, a large part of why it was so good was cause it fit the atmosphere of the book SO well. WHY THE FUCK did they have to do the STUPID pretentious cel shading effect?? It's gonna KILL the atmosphere, I guess they're doing movies now too and not just videogames. Fucking bullshit. I was SOOOO pissed when I heard the whole thing had the animation done over it.

I really hope they release a non animated dvd version of it

krastian 07.15.2006 04:12 AM

There are no good writers making thoughtful screenplays nowadays. That's the problem.....everything seems to be recycled. I should do this. Would you pay to see a good movie about human misery?

jon boy 07.15.2006 04:40 AM

quite interested in this film it does promise to be quite good. maybe thats just because i am a linkleter fan i dont know.

Lurker 07.15.2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
There are no good writers making thoughtful screenplays nowadays. That's the problem.....everything seems to be recycled. I should do this. Would you pay to see a good movie about human misery?

Fuck yeah.

People don't right thoughtful screenplays anymore because it doesn't usually make big money.

Alex's Trip 07.15.2006 11:05 AM

I can't say anything about the movie itself, but the way it looks, the animation, bugs the hell out of me.

Heroic Dose 07.15.2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
sorry dudes, can't share the same enthusiasm. I'm a fucking huge Phillip K. Dick fan and A Scanner Darkly is my favorite book by him. I think they REALLY fucked themselves over making this movie. I loved Blade runner because it really captivated the atmosphere of Do Androids dream of electronic sheep, a large part of why it was so good was cause it fit the atmosphere of the book SO well. WHY THE FUCK did they have to do the STUPID pretentious cel shading effect?? It's gonna KILL the atmosphere, I guess they're doing movies now too and not just videogames. Fucking bullshit. I was SOOOO pissed when I heard the whole thing had the animation done over it.

I really hope they release a non animated dvd version of it

I hear you man but don't you think you should see it first? Linklater is great and I have faith that it'll be great! You're kinda setting yourself up to not like the movie.

Style 07.15.2006 02:58 PM

I agree that linklater is great. I'm a huge fan, so I'll definitely be seeing this film. I've already seen slacker, before sunrise, waking life, and before sunset.

krastian 07.15.2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

I don't remember writing this post last night/early morning and I have to say there ARE some people writing interesting screenplays even though for the most part everything sucks ass.....yyyyyeah.

EyeballGrowth 07.15.2006 04:31 PM

I've heard awesome things about it and that they executed the story perfectly and everything, it's just that godforsaken animation. I cannot deal with it. There's no way I'll be able to take it seriously

acousticrock87 07.15.2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

I don't remember writing this post last night/early morning and I have to say there ARE some people writing interesting screenplays even though for the most part everything sucks ass.....yyyyyeah.

Hahaha. I almost responded to that. Nice save.

Secret Boys 07.15.2006 04:54 PM

who knows the philip k dick<--->sy link>?

acousticrock87 07.15.2006 05:12 PM

Schizophrenia and a couple other songs on that CD are based on his stuff.

umjammer atomsk 07.15.2006 06:39 PM

I love PK Dick and Linklater. This should be pretty good.

Bastian 07.15.2006 06:47 PM

As my avatar suggests, I`m very much into PKD`s novels, and I also like some movie adaptions of them. Minority Report and Blade Runner are amazing movies.

Not sure what to think about ASD so far, though. The trailer wasn`t that convincing. I guess I`ll check it out when it comes out, and judge then.