Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

gmku 06.27.2015 09:34 AM

Actually, my complexion can get a little dark in the sunny months, even using sunscreen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it doesn't work. at all, ha ha ha. but don't worry about it-- it's all bogus. listen to this prog rock album instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzSp5MABl4

"but it's not prog!"

a lot of it sounds to me like prog motifs recombined after minimalism



oh man. when i was 10 i was the prisoner of shit radio hits. music was whatever played on the radio. and then-- blam!

i wish i still had my old records but migration requires light packing.


!@#$%! 06.27.2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Actually, my complexion can get a little dark in the sunny months, even using sunscreen.


i never took you for an albino!

 
 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
They played quite good music in the radio in Finland in the eighties. But I think it was only few hours maybe two times a week. Radio was always open then & I recorded many songs to the cassette.

BTW I am listening Crimson Discipline. This is lot better album than I remembered! I am missing the warmth of Crimson seventies records, but anyway great music!


here's the one that gets me every time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvz8jtZ3f5s

i should think about what to listen today. will check out those lnks you posted yesterday.

Mortte Jousimo 06.27.2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
here's the one that gets me every time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvz8jtZ3f5s

i should think about what to listen today. will check out those lnks you posted yesterday.

YES! Really the greatest Crimson-song! Red & In the court are my fav albums.

evollove 06.27.2015 10:59 AM

"I Talk to the Wind" - King C

Wow. How is this prog rock? Anyway, it's gorgeous.

EDIT: Ha! Yes's entire CLOSE TO THE EDGE album popped up next.

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
In Union live there are both, Bruford & White in drums. Even Bruford mostly take care of percussion works and White drums, I think itīs the best Yes live and specially drums are just dynamite! I think this is the best version of yours is no disgrace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9jyNjyu7UA


okay, so i gave this a first listen. i can hear some of what you say but i also see & hear some horrible things.

first, truly bruford is fantastic, but he's on one of those weird plastic drumsets yes? still very good.

then, i think steve howe was great in the guitar (most of the time)

problems: too many. i'll try to be kind.

first, there were some horrible-sounding keyboards. don't know who was guilty because there were 20 fingers playing them. sounded a mess.

second, jon anderson's voice completely shot. shrill. that sort of pitch requires young flesh to sound like a full voice and not a whistle. and it was hard to unsee him dancing around on stage and doing interpretive dance to his lyrics. really ouch.

third-- i couldn't hear the bass! not in the great place that it always had. it was buried. what is yes without chris squire's bass leading.

fourth-- the guitar noodler in black. who is he? he plays a solo after steve howe. yes, he moves his fingers fast and al but that music is completely pedestrian. this was not what yes was about. it's more like hair bands.

fifth- howe's solo not quite on this one. he played great otherwise but his solo.. it was like he was trying to jump a fence but had to climb it instead (sorry for the metaphors)

so what i end up getting is this whole mess where i agree there are some great parts, but the whole is LESS than the sum of the parts.

and this is what hurts me about listening to old bands trying to recapture the past--all kinds of old bands, not just this one. the past can't be recaptured. the time is gone and instead of letting it go they keep going after and looking more desperate. what was done then was done then. and it should be left to stand.

so it was great to hear bruford with his plastic drums but it made me sad to watch this video. not trying to be cynical or anything! it was just... i don't know. it was like watching modern egyptians trying to build the pyramids with legos. or something.

evollove 06.27.2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so yes (ha), i had to really listen to really get it, but over the years i've learned each note by heart so that it no longer strains me.


Yeah, I figured one had to concentrate and absorb it before it made sense in the background. If that's a requirement, there's a bunch of classical that I want to get to first.

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah, I figured one had to concentrate and absorb it before it made sense in the background. If that's a requirement, there's a bunch of classical that I want to get to first.


it's really a different sort of energy-- although beethoven had more rocknroll than most

the big quasar 06.27.2015 12:05 PM

Fibre Book Troll - The Fall

"I get strawberries off a person
I want a fucking Facebook troll..."

funny basterd

Severian 06.27.2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it doesn't work. at all, ha ha ha. but don't worry about it-- it's all bogus. listen to this prog rock album instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzSp5MABl4

"but it's not prog!"

a lot of it sounds to me like prog motifs recombined after minimalism




Oh, man, you just recommended one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, period, and you did it by just posting a freaking link!!!

That's WAY worse than posting an album cover without including any identifying information... Well, I guess it's not worse, because if you want to know what it is, you just click the link, while the unidentified cover art thing can be pretty frustrating if you want to know what the album is and don't know how to us Google images or any of the other countless identification services out there....

But still, it's kinda weird, 'cause you hate it when people just post the artwork (usually to some bizarre electronic import, or super-eusive underground punk record that inevitably has awesome artwork).

Blah, blah... Bottom line: when talking about American Don, it's should be a freaking commandment that you include that awesome, iconic cover image!!

Ya hear?

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 12:39 PM

 

you like prog rock

Mortte Jousimo 06.27.2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
okay, so i gave this a first listen. i can hear some of what you say but i also see & hear some horrible things.

first, truly bruford is fantastic, but he's on one of those weird plastic drumsets yes? still very good.

then, i think steve howe was great in the guitar (most of the time)

problems: too many. i'll try to be kind.

first, there were some horrible-sounding keyboards. don't know who was guilty because there were 20 fingers playing them. sounded a mess.

second, jon anderson's voice completely shot. shrill. that sort of pitch requires young flesh to sound like a full voice and not a whistle. and it was hard to unsee him dancing around on stage and doing interpretive dance to his lyrics. really ouch.

third-- i couldn't hear the bass! not in the great place that it always had. it was buried. what is yes without chris squire's bass leading.

fourth-- the guitar noodler in black. who is he? he plays a solo after steve howe. yes, he moves his fingers fast and al but that music is completely pedestrian. this was not what yes was about. it's more like hair bands.

fifth- howe's solo not quite on this one. he played great otherwise but his solo.. it was like he was trying to jump a fence but had to climb it instead (sorry for the metaphors)

so what i end up getting is this whole mess where i agree there are some great parts, but the whole is LESS than the sum of the parts.

and this is what hurts me about listening to old bands trying to recapture the past--all kinds of old bands, not just this one. the past can't be recaptured. the time is gone and instead of letting it go they keep going after and looking more desperate. what was done then was done then. and it should be left to stand.

so it was great to hear bruford with his plastic drums but it made me sad to watch this video. not trying to be cynical or anything! it was just... i don't know. it was like watching modewrong in Howeīs solos.rn egyptians trying to build the pyramids with legos. or something.



I understand you in some parts and some parts not.

First, Keyboard players are Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye. I think the most quilty is Wakeman, because according to Yes-book I read some time ago Tony Kaye really didnīt play that time. He had lost his skills. I agree about that I rather also heard Hammond than those modern keyboards. But they donīt sound me as bad as you. Rick Wakeman has always wanted to do everything with the most modern keyboards. I think he was his best with Hammond, moog, mellotron etc.

Second, I think Jon Anderson had problems with his voice in that concert. He had sung lot better some other, newer lives. I think you havenīt seen Yes live before, because I think thatīs the way he acts always in live. Just because heīs Jon Anderson with his spiritual new age life. In the seventies he got strong spiritual awakening, I think it was the time when they made Topographic. So in the concerts in that time he also wanted to tell the audience about his wakening and others were little embarrassed. Also he would have wanted to make Topographic in the country and the whole band would have slept outside. Others donīt want that, so manager made a little joke and bring to the studio cardboard cows and haystacks. There are lots of Spinal Tap in Yes, I think itīs also just great!

Third, I hear the bass, so maybe itīs about your equipments? Of course itīs not as top as for example studio version.

Fourth, the other guitarist is Trevor Rabin, the one who came into Yes in 90125. The one who has composed Owner of the Lonely Heart. I agree with you that his solo is more the show of skills. And also little bit long.

Fifth, I donīt hear anything wrong in Howeīs solos.

The reason why I think this is the best version is those strong drums. All the versions I have heard are quite great. Some reason I have never liked Yessongs version a lot, I think the main reason is Whiteīs drumplaying. I think the studio version is the best, just for that reason there are those great hammonds.

I understand your opinion about old bands, but I think Yes is not one of those. Yeah, they play mostly the old songs, but I think they play them great way. Yes music is timeless, that Union live version doesnīt sound me something from the past that has already gone. They always play some songs from their recent albums, but I think people want to hear those old classics. So do I, if I someday will see them.

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
"I Talk to the Wind" - King C

Wow. How is this prog rock? Anyway, it's gorgeous.


because some of the roots of prog rock are actually in folk/pastoral shit as much as psychedelic

and you like folk shit

you prolly wanna listen to early genesis then-- not their first beegees-sounding one but the nextses... whatsiscalled... hm... trespass, nursery cryme, foxtrot

ps- if you don't like close to the edge, knowing your folk preferences, maybe listen to the first 2 yes albums-- yes (not "the yes album"---confusing, i know), and then "time and a word"

Mortte Jousimo 06.27.2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
"I Talk to the Wind" - King C

Wow. How is this prog rock? Anyway, it's gorgeous.

EDIT: Ha! Yes's entire CLOSE TO THE EDGE album popped up next.

There are lots of same kind of beautiful songs that is called prog rock. Specially in the beginning of seventies. For example Genesis, Jehtro Tull, Family, Wigwam, Traffic has made them.

Here are few other Crimson ballads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZqSg6U53E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQ6aRwFGRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L49V1E3LNBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjxcir4Hfjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TYpQGt6Dwc

Mortte Jousimo 06.27.2015 01:09 PM

Hereīs one great genesis ballad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlzkC0KdVA

Talking about lyrics I think Peter Gabriel made quite good lyrics, one of the best in progbands.

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 01:19 PM

eta (@ evollove) and since you're a gringo anglophile, try SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

i never understood the lyrics (you might) but i always liked the music-- very "quiet"

evollove 06.27.2015 01:37 PM

-Damn you guys are good. I was going to ask about Genesis. I always enjoyed "I Know What I Like" and the title track to Lamb, but that's all I know. Seems like they have a sense of humor at least.

-These King ballads are great, but they can also do something so fucking heavy like 21st Century Skitz Man? I might end up really liking this band.

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 02:09 PM

just remember to listen to whole albums. this was the golden era of the concept album and there's often a theme or thread to the whole thing. genesis particularly had "stories" going on, i understand.

plus, there will be buried gems that you'll never ever hear among classic rock radio "hits" from hell.

ps- you realize before phil collins became a cheesy pop icon he was actually a damn good drummer?

Mortte Jousimo 06.27.2015 02:17 PM

Here are also some "murder" stuff of King Crimson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMd4GnjYQg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbaxtQuzzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4Aw_ECa44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=css7sfgRTns

Severian 06.27.2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
 


"but it's not prog!"


It is most definitely prog. To be sure, it's prog as viewed through the bespectacled eyes of hardcore and post-punk, but still... prog it is.

Is Don Caballero II prog? Eh.. no. Is For Respect prog? hrmememrrrmm.... no. What about What Burns Never Returns? At times, possibly. How about Singles Breaking Up? A-fuck no, plays more like a hardcore punk album played by a bunch of ultra proficient Thrash nerds.

But American Don was most definitely progged the fuck out.

I really wish they'd retired the Don Cab name after releasing it, though.

!@#$%! 06.27.2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
IFor Respect prog? hrmememrrrmm.... no.


of course it is. sounds like rush, and rush (sucky as they were in many ways) were one of the last gasps of prog before it was chucked out of the window by punk.

the ONLY reason people say "math" and "mathy" is because they're ashamed to say prog. it's just fucking hipster posturing. but it is what it is.

look, punk couldn't last forever. the ramones did something great but they were also very fucking boring because all the songs sounded the same. after punk, people wanted to play music again. more than 2 chords. but hey, they just had been making fun of this complex shit you couldn't dance to! so, they waited, then cleaned up the excesses and threw out the elves and the costumes and the hippie hair and called it "math".

math is... prog by gen-xers

enjoy your sons-of-rush album dude.

i'm going to go listen to some prog-punk deerhoof now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth