Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who is your favourite fashion desinger? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13677)

sonicl 06.06.2007 03:25 AM

Who is your favourite fashion desinger?

A thread especially for Nefeli.

I'm a fan of Paul Smith. Elegant and yet understated.

!@#$%! 06.06.2007 03:36 AM

my favorite fashion singer is milla jovovich

not much of a singer but still fashionable, yes?

sonicl 06.06.2007 03:44 AM

^
Yeah, that helps me too. I'm okay with a small logo, but I don't want to be a human advertising board.

I used to buy quite a lot of stuff at Gap when they were just doing simple basics, but went off them when they started plastering their name all over all the clothes.

sonicl 06.06.2007 03:52 AM

I always wonder how the likes of Calvin Klein must feel about the fact that their once-exclusive label is now worn by every Tom, Dick and Harry whilst being ignored by their original target audience. I guess that their bank balances are swelling nicely, so they probably have no problem at all with it.

!@#$%! 06.06.2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I always wonder how the likes of Calvin Klein must feel about the fact that their once-exclusive label is now worn by every Tom, Dick and Harry whilst being ignored by their original target audience.

mega-rich?

----

ps my favorite fashion designer is FEMA

demonrail666 06.06.2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I always wonder how the likes of Calvin Klein must feel about the fact that their once-exclusive label is now worn by every Tom, Dick and Harry whilst being ignored by their original target audience.

Timberland apparantly had similar issues when Rap stars started to buy their boots, alienating their traditional market.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 05:11 AM

Burberry had similar problems with with all the chavs wearing cheap market stall imitations, as well as Danielle Westbrook doing the 'baby and mum head to toe'. The head designer (can't remember his name) said that he had no problems with it, it's just that the Primrose Hill fashion mafia started thinking that it's not a cool label like it used to be.

pantophobia 06.06.2007 10:03 AM

i like Marc Jacobs, John Galliano and Christian Lacroix

but i can't really find any particular designer for men that i like out side of the standard mold

i am a sucker for the Williamsburg/American Apparel couture

pokkeherrie 06.06.2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Timberland apparantly had similar issues when Rap stars started to buy their boots, alienating their traditional market.

That makes me wonder... Is Lonsdale being heavily associated with extreme right-wing youth in the UK or elsewhere in Europe as well or is that phenomenon just limited to holland/belgium/germany? Because you hardly see anyone else wearing that anymore since they've adopted it as their fashion. I know that at least one dutch school (and maybe more) even decided to ban their students from wearing Lonsdale clothes in classes. Also the media used to speak frequently about "Lonsdale-youth", much to the dismay of the company.

I don't have a favourite fashion designer but I like to spend as little on clothes as possible if I can buy records/books/etc from the same money.

Prisstina 06.06.2007 10:41 AM

myself.

_slavo_ 06.06.2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
That makes me wonder... Is Lonsdale being heavily associated with extreme right-wing youth in the UK or elsewhere in Europe as well or is that phenomenon just limited to holland/belgium/germany? Because you hardly see anyone else wearing that anymore since they've adopted it as their fashion. I know that at least one dutch school (and maybe more) even decided to ban their students from wearing Lonsdale clothes in classes. Also the media used to speak frequently about "Lonsdale-youth", much to the dismay of the company.

nazis here used to wear a lot of Lonsdale in the past but in the recent times I've noticed a swich - they're more into Thor Steinar clothing now.

Check this (only in German thouh):

http://www.turnitdown.de/166.html

atari 2600 06.06.2007 11:31 AM

I think were supposed to say Marc Jacobs here because
the band stays at his place whenever they are in Paris.

My favorite designers (like I would know haha) are probably Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, and Calvin Klein, but hey, I just buy off-the-rack what doesn't look horrible.

ALIEN ANAL 06.06.2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisstina
myself.

yeh me to:D

king_buzzo 06.06.2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
my favorite fashion singer is milla jovovich

not much of a singer but still fashionable, yes?

I see nipple! She's not much of an actrice though

king_buzzo 06.06.2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
yeh me to:D

me three.

floatingslowly 06.06.2007 12:22 PM

as a borderline sociopath, the concept of fashion eludes me.

I'm constantly told "you don't match" and constantly respond "I don't care". this alone puts me at a disadvantage on the topic, so I'll just borrow from !@#$%!'s playbook and say NASA.

NASA > FEMA

I mean, come on.....name another designer who allows you the freedom to void yourself where you stand.

Washing Machine 06.06.2007 12:33 PM

Im proud to wallow in my own ignorance on this one. I buy whatever I think looks good (usually black jumpers and jeans). There are few things I loathe more than Fashion. Much rather spend my money on beer, books and rock 'n roll.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.06.2007 12:35 PM

not really a designer but I like the Obey brand.
I do like fuct clothing as well.

sonicl 06.06.2007 01:41 PM

^
Bryan Ferry lost an advertising contract with Marks and Spencer for saying that kind of thing, you know.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6653447.stm

Washing Machine 06.06.2007 02:01 PM

The way people treated Bryan Ferry over those remarks about nazi imagery being beautiful just goes to show there is something fundamentally wrong with the way people think in this society. Some elements of Nazi archtecture are absolutely beautiful. Riefenstahl's films also have a lot of interesting ideas. Does this mean i'm a Nazi, a fasist? I'm about as much of a card carrying liberal as you will find. I really wish the british public and media could get there heads out their arses sometimes.

You can't just write off periods of History and Art because you dont agree with its message. And I agree those horrible Nazis were snappy dressers.