Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   he guy who made Washing Machine sound so great (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19142)

Moshe 01.22.2008 02:34 PM

The guy who made Washing Machine sound so great

is Stuart Sikes . Or was it John?
anyway it is the best sounding sy record imo.

the ikara cult 01.22.2008 05:42 PM

Shame about the songs though

k-krack 01.22.2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult

Amen.

RanaldoNecro 01.22.2008 08:24 PM

John Siket

barnaclelapse 01.23.2008 12:06 AM

See, learn something new everyday.

Bal 01.23.2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

true! that is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult

no! its one of their greatest record. i really love it. it has such a bluesy vibe!

GrungeMonkey 01.23.2008 05:19 AM

great record, its odd because i don't think its very consistent (too many crappy songs like panty lies and little trouble girl) but the other songs diamond sea, skip tracer, washing machine, saucerlike) are so good that it doesn't matter...

soapbars 01.23.2008 05:52 AM

i love every song on washing machine, its my favourite sonic youth album,

atsonicpark 01.23.2008 07:14 AM

Production wise, I'm not sure, it's always sounded a bit too bright and the bass sounds rubbery in places. I prefer the production on A Thousand Leaves.

Song-wise, Washing Machine is half a really great record, maybe a bit more than half.

Bal 01.23.2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapbars
i love every song on washing machine, its my favourite sonic youth album,

i second that (altho sister and evol are a tiny little bit better!)

PAULYBEE2656 01.23.2008 08:32 AM

Washing Machine Rules. Its An Amazing Album Minus Maybe 2 Songs Maximum, One Being Little Trouble Girl

echocanyon 01.23.2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
John Siket

later immortalized by Phish's 'Siket Disk'.

fluxequalsrad 01.23.2008 03:24 PM

Panty Lies is great... alot of people don't like it..

I love the drum beat break down and harmonix, really creepy vibe. The drumming on this entire song is amazing actually...

As for Little Trouble Girl, such a good song - the one piano note hit over the whole song, soft guitar... one of the great rare SY ballads.

Rob Instigator 01.23.2008 03:33 PM

what is the sound of a kim D and Kim G 69?

Chris Lawrence 01.23.2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
Panty Lies is great... alot of people don't like it..

I love the drum beat break down and harmonix, really creepy vibe. The drumming on this entire song is amazing actually...

As for Little Trouble Girl, such a good song - the one piano note hit over the whole song, soft guitar... one of the great rare SY ballads.

Hear/Hear---(here?)

These were the two songs that turned me off for a while, but I really dig "Panty Lies" now for pretty much the reasons you stated, Lee's great guitar sounds and the overall creepiness.

"Trouble Girl", well -- it's unlike anything SY ever did before or after, and I sincerely question its choice as a follow-up single to "Diamond Sea", but it's a very spooky centerpiece to that album.

As for the production, it is near perfect. Just great sounds all around. Wish they hadn't mixed the fucking drums into one speaker for the first part of the title track, and I'm always confused when I hear Kim's guitar panned hard left w/ Lee down the middle, but I really do love the sound of this record. Unlike "Thousand Leaves" where the vocals are twice as loud as the music.

Torn Curtain 01.24.2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Production wise, I'm not sure, it's always sounded a bit too bright and the bass sounds rubbery in places. I prefer the production on A Thousand Leaves.

Ditto.

noisereductions 01.24.2008 12:52 PM

Didn't we have this tug-o-war a couple months ago when the thread was called "re-evaluating Washing Machine?"

fluxequalsrad 01.24.2008 01:18 PM

I love the tape hiss at the end of the title track...

Every album recorded at Easley Studios around that time (94-96) sounds fucking amazing,

Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Washing Machine
Silver Jews - Starlite Walker.

to name a few....didn't wilco record their around then too?

forkimified 01.24.2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Well, I think you can guess my opinion of the album:

Although Little Trouble Girl sounds somewhat out-of-place, it's still an A+ collection of songs.

fluxequalsrad 01.24.2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forkimified
Well, I think you can guess my opinion of the album:

Although Little Trouble Girl sounds somewhat out-of-place, it's still an A+ collection of songs.

do people think Little Trouble Girl sounds that bad? I mean it goes with the flow great to me, perfect balancing out of the album.

I think songs like Plastic Sun and Mariah Carey sound more out of place to me,.. but both are still great songs and good breaks from the 7+minute guitar sprawls.