Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café III (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104665)

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
new Future album in April! yess.

Pluto is one of my fav rap albums of the decade.

Hated the first few singles off the new one, but I've been bumping 'Move That Dope' so much that my girlfriend has threatened to move out if it doesn't stop.

P.S.
HI GUISE
I've Returned...

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
humble? Lulz. Great ass music yes. But humble?

Um... the last thing he did that even comes close to great is Carter IV
His last few mixtapes have been tiresome, and let's all just pretend IANMHB II isn't a thing.

noisereductions 03.23.2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
Um... the last thing he did that even comes close to great is Carter IV
His last few mixtapes have been tiresome, and let's all just pretend IANMHB II isn't a thing.

Carter IV is awesome.

IANAHMB2 would be great if it was half as long.

Dedication 5 is pretty good.

But yeah. Carter IV. Solid.

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Carter IV is awesome.

Dedication 5 is pretty good.

But yeah. Carter IV. Solid.

Dedication V was enjoyable if predictable. For that little inspiration I could have done with maybe half the length. There were just too many tracks where I felt like Wayne didn't even try to compete with/outdo the originals, which was what made the early Dedication tapes so remarkable.

noisereductions 03.23.2014 06:43 PM

^agreed. I found his take on "New Slaves" cringe-worthy for one. But, "You Song" was unbelievably inspired. I think Wayne has long been his own worst enemy, when what he really needs is an editor. Someone to say "just use these songs, ditch THESE songs"

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 07:01 PM

Somehow, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe bummed me out the most.
I felt like he could have totally skated on that beat but the whole thing felt obligatory.
I'm looking forward to Carter V, but ultimately I'm glad he has the sense to bow out now.

On an unrelated note, have you listened to My Krazy Life by YG yet?

noisereductions 03.23.2014 08:44 PM

nah, YG I'm not sold on... yet. Should I be?

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 08:52 PM

I wasn't sold on YG either, but for some reason I felt compelled to check out his album... this turned out to be a good instinct.

Imagine if one of the less 'conscious' side characters in Good Kidd Maad City made an album, this would be it. Essentially, its "bad kidd maad city".

Nothing special lyrically, or even in the flow, but the album actually manages to carry a theme and a concept better than most and the production knocks all the way through: bay-area slaps and updated left coast gangsta vibes.
Added bonus: the deluxe has one of the best Weezy verses in a minute.

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
his album is alright.

i would rather you buy the Freddie Gibbs & Madlib album. :p

I copped both when they came out and can't stop alternating between the two. They both satisfy different aspects of my hip hop cravings perfectly, both classics in their own rite.

noisereductions 03.23.2014 09:29 PM

cool man thx for the heads up, might check that YG then. It's been a dry year for good hip hop so far.

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 09:39 PM

^What about Clivia Demo, Oxymoron, and about half of Mastermind?

louder 03.24.2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

"Curtains", man!! i love Curtains.

Quote:

Nothing special lyrically, or even in the flow

exactly, and some of the beats are too similar sounding. it's still an enjoyable listen though.

Quote:

^What about Clivia Demo, Oxymoron, and about half of Mastermind?

Oxymoron is just pretty good to me. however, Clivia Demo is fantastic.

"now can we fall in love while Southernplayalistic banging through the night?" :)

Quote:

cool man thx for the heads up, might check that YG then. It's been a dry year for good hip hop so far.

i'm sure you'll dig Clivia Demo. Isaiah grew up on OutKast and Lil Wayne, and you can tell.

his music is really chill and even somewhat spacey, and he's a good lyricist.

he's really talented. of course TDE wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't.

noisereductions 03.24.2014 06:58 AM

my first impression of Oxymoron was that it should be a better album than it seems to be. :\

I do need to check that Isaiah still.

an evening with viewtiful 03.24.2014 08:14 PM

Oxymoron let me down on my first listen, but it grew to be a strong disc in my mind. The bonus tracks are all ass tho

louder 03.25.2014 07:00 AM

new CunninLynguists album out for stream at http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/

noisereductions 03.25.2014 11:26 AM

this Jay Elle Music mixtape featured on datpiff seems kind of alright. First track is a cover of Lana's "Radio," and it ends w/ a version of "Swimming Pools." Never heard of Jay Elle.

New Pixies album announced for April. Guess what? It's EP1, 2 and 3 combined. Shocker.

louder 03.25.2014 05:31 PM

i fucking love 6 Foot 7 Foot. both Weezy and Cory Gunz killed it. i thought Cory Gunz had a future after this song haha, he should've capitalized on his hype and dropped a great single.

an evening with viewtiful 03.25.2014 06:04 PM

^right??
I used to know every single word to that song, it was more or less the party anthem of my freshman year of college.
As for Gunz... I think he just lacked any interesting artistic vision. Being on YM probably didn't help (they like to jam up a lot of their artists), but I really don't think he had enough interesting things to say to compete in the hip hop landscape that was forming around then.

noisereductions 03.25.2014 06:08 PM

"6 Foot 7" is better than "A Milli" IMO.

"mind so sharp I fuck around and cut my head off" kills it.

an evening with viewtiful 03.25.2014 06:18 PM

"Real G's move in silence like lasagna" kills me every damn time.