Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   That riff... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=95929)

Chris Lawrence 07.29.2013 11:43 PM

That riff...

SY had a recurring lick they'd reference in the final melting down seconds of a few standard tuning songs circa '89. It's been a good 15 years I've wondered about this, and it appears I just needed to take a closer listen to an album that's not exactly unheard of...

Computer Age

Burning Farm

Blowjob? (Mildred Pierce)

(sorry, couldn't find a link for the demo version of MP!)

I always wondered if they'd lifted it from somewhere...and I happened to catch the end of "Police Story":

Police Story

Case closed, or..?

_tunic_ 07.30.2013 11:29 AM

here it is:
Blowjob? (Mildred Pierce)

never realized this, always thought the opening riffs of the Neil Young cover were their own interpretation of the original.

halgreen 07.30.2013 02:43 PM

Nice research Chris.

jlnpgt 07.31.2013 06:21 AM

that's definitely a Black Flag reference... I was looking for the BF song in question until I realized you posted Police Story

Beautiful Plateau 08.01.2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I happened to catch the end of "Police Story"

Chris, I wonder if there's a story behind this. I don't want to be confusing; where and how did you catch it?

(I doubt this happened "online", but I might be wishful thinking...)

Chris Lawrence 08.02.2013 03:15 AM

I had a crappy tape dub of Damaged and never bothered upgrading, as it's not an album I listen to often. I randomly bought it on vinyl and noticed the riff at the end of "Police Story" the first time I played it!

chrome noise tape 08.02.2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlnpgt
that's definitely a Black Flag reference... I was looking for the BF song in question until I realized you posted Police Story

ericengle 08.02.2013 06:44 PM

Hey what's the story behind that photo of Thurston? Can't say I've ever noticed him playing bass before. Looks like he's at the Metro in Chicago.

Chris Lawrence 08.02.2013 07:51 PM

Looks like an '88/89 era pic, so he's probably playing "I Wanna Be Yr Dog". He plays bass on a lot of early SY songs and a few others throughout their career.

ericengle 08.03.2013 08:41 AM

Thanks Chris. I bet that's from the Daydream tour then. I searched your concert chronology and saw that Thurston talks about rockin' a bass solo at the Metro show. Cool.

chrome noise tape 08.03.2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericengle
Hey what's the story behind that photo of Thurston? Can't say I've ever noticed him playing bass before. Looks like he's at the Metro in Chicago.

maybe it is chicago the pic it's great, his shirt it's a homage to BF influence in those days, he's wearing a "kira shirt" a bass legend from BF, and coincidence or not someone took that photo when he played the bass.