Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Love them or Hate them? The Smashing Pumpkins (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11565)

GrungeMonkey 03.24.2007 11:29 AM

I knew there would be some akward people saying "ooh, I think they're ok" and "I don't love them or hate them"... Maybe I should have said like them or don't like them...

EyeballGrowth 03.24.2007 02:22 PM

Yo fluxequalsrad. What about Starla and Obscured. I'd definately put those in the catergory of epic.

[sigh] why did someone even make this thread? Your just egging on all the indie snobs on this board who we've heard from time after time after time after time, who are too cool for the Smashing Pumpkins.

pantophobia 03.24.2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
I knew there would be some akward people saying "ooh, I think they're ok" and "I don't love them or hate them"... Maybe I should have said like them or don't like them...

well even that can be subjective too, it's because they are a very divisive band that there is strong arguments on both sides of the spectrum then you have alot of people like me in the gray area who enjoyed one album, and only a couple songs from another album,

so i can't actually say i like them or dislike them, it more like "they did some good stuff 10 years ago, and the new stuff is likely gonna rehash his stuff that made they successful in the first place"

LittlePuppetBoy 03.24.2007 02:31 PM

Love. Basically the first badn I ever loved.

Washing Machine 03.25.2007 08:25 AM

I'm happy to see that more people love them than hate them...just listened to Adore yesterday...so beautiful

aaronalive 03.25.2007 01:18 PM

One of my all time favorite bands

Bal 03.25.2007 01:40 PM

GrungeMonkey 03.25.2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
well even that can be subjective too, it's because they are a very divisive band that there is strong arguments on both sides of the spectrum then you have alot of people like me in the gray area who enjoyed one album, and only a couple songs from another album,

so i can't actually say i like them or dislike them, it more like "they did some good stuff 10 years ago, and the new stuff is likely gonna rehash his stuff that made they successful in the first place"

Now youre just being akward on purpose.:rolleyes:

EyeballGrowth 03.25.2007 10:32 PM

Coming from someone who was a total Pumpkins freak since Gish, I don't think anything they did after Mellon Collie was any good. It just didn't sound like Smashing Pumpkins, it sounded like Billy Corgan.

I want to be optimistic but I doubt their new album will be any good. Only way I'm going to see them is if James Billy and Jimmy are all in the band

EyeballGrowth 03.26.2007 01:12 AM

Jarlsberg is a damn good cheese btw

Silent Dan Speaks 03.26.2007 09:05 PM

I love them and I don't think Billy Corgan is as bad as everyone says he is.

afterthefact 03.26.2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
I love them and I don't think Billy Corgan is as bad as everyone says he is.

On what basis do you support this? I mean, just go to his website and you can see what egotistic prick he is.

noumenal 03.26.2007 09:16 PM

I've never listened to them.

afterthefact 03.26.2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
I've never listened to them.

Well then what are you waiting for?!? Listen to them for God's sake and tell us what you think!! We can't wait forever!!!!

noumenal 03.26.2007 09:32 PM

Well, I've heard them before. I used to see them on MTV when I was in middle school and high school. A friend told me that he could have written all of the songs on Melancolie and the Infinite Sadness in the time it takes to while have a good shit. I believed him, so I never bought their albums. I didn't like what I had heard anyway. I didn't listen to rock music back then anyway.

Silent Dan Speaks 03.27.2007 02:36 PM

I don't think he's as bad as everyone says he is because the band continually ran into problems (breakups, drugs, things of that nature) so he had to take charge and make things get done. Otherwise, they would've gone nowhere.

gmku 03.27.2007 02:48 PM

Hasn't this come up before?

Anyway, I love Gish, sort of like Siamese Dream, hate the rest.

Gish is sort of like Spiderland, only not. Like a Pumpkins version of Slint. Then after that, starting with S.D., Pumpkins got increasingly gooey pop overproduced.

Rob Instigator 03.27.2007 04:49 PM

I FUCKING HATE THEM!!!!

aaronalive 03.27.2007 08:41 PM

I cant wait for the new record. Thinking about it gets my dick wet.

afterthefact 03.27.2007 08:49 PM

You've got to be kidding. After machina, or whatever it was called, you really look forward to their next step into the descent of pure unadulterated electro-crap?