Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 11.06.2021 01:54 PM

This is pretty close to a perfect EP. Fun, inspired arrangements and heckload of atmosphere. It achieves everything it needs to achieve in its short running time.

The final song "Min Trampolin" is a beautifully odd blend of Pavement, Duster (before Duster) and Nirvana. It's about a guy wanting to go back to the innocent days of his childhood - when there was juice in his glass and even mundane things like his uncle singing seemed fascinating. Culminating in the wistful remark "My trampoline: Now you're my only hope!"

I mean, how can a song be so wonderfully ridiculous and satirical, yet also so moving and genuine? It's a mystery.

The Soup Nazi 11.08.2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
This is pretty close to a perfect EP.

For YEARS I've thought of starting a "Your Favorite EPs" thread. Intrusive thoughts get in the way...

_tunic_ 11.13.2021 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
For YEARS I've thought of starting a "Your Favorite EPs" thread. Intrusive thoughts get in the way...

my vote, at least the first one that popped into my head would be The Breeder's Safari EP. But also Low & Dirty Three's In The Fishtank collab (not sure if it is an EP actually though) perhaps it's too long), And one or two of the SYR releases, and and and and etc etc etc ;-)

Anyway, I'm now listening to this:
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 'The Jam' (One More Time With Feeling)

which is very cool and much better (sorry) than the last few Nick Cave releases.

Also listened to these two yesterday on their day of release:

Oud Zeer by Jan Swerts

It's music inspired by graveyards, wonderful neo-classical minimal piano music and some drones

In Virus Times by Lee Ranaldo

it's sweet. Very curious how the physical edition will look like as well. It doesn't ship until next month though .... bummer

And during the last week(s), I've been on a diet of Dirty Three and Silver Mt Zion live shows, listening to them on my commute to work and back.

Up the queue for today:
a Gaelynn Lee album that I got for free :)
The Living Room Sessions - Gaelynn Lea LIVE [2020 Album] by Gaelynn Lea

The Soup Nazi 11.14.2021 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
[...] not sure if it is an EP actually though perhaps it's too long [...]

Right, first we'd have to define what constitutes an EP. In the good ole days of this board, that part alone would take up two pages of the thread, a flame war and all kinds of name-calling. :D

Quote:

In Virus Times by Lee Ranaldo

it's sweet. Very curious how the physical edition will look like as well. It doesn't ship until next month though .... bummer

Really? That is a bummer indeed. My contact in the U to the S to the A received it a coupla days ago.

_tunic_ 11.14.2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

Really? That is a bummer indeed. My contact in the U to the S to the A received it a coupla days ago.

that's weird, Bandcamp page says December 6 as shipping date. Maybe he got it elsewhere which ships differently? Oh well, it will arrive someday anyway

Now playing:

I still love this album after hearing it so many times!

The Soup Nazi 11.14.2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

that's weird, Bandcamp page says December 6 as shipping date. Maybe he got it elsewhere which ships differently?

No dude, full Bandcamp operation. Here's the explanation:

Quote:

**Orders placed after 11/12 will ship out by 12/6**

He ordered In Virus Times and Body/Dilloway/Head on October 22 (he already received the latter as well). By the way, as I type this, there are only seven copies of IVT left...

The Soup Nazi 11.15.2021 12:07 AM

Death Grips - The Money Store

The Soup Nazi 11.15.2021 12:39 AM

Quote:

Incidentally, I feel that any day now "lockdown albums" will equal "breakup albums" in both quantity and mediocrity - for every Blood On The Tracks there are hundreds of sorry-ass turds, and the same is happening with pandemic records. Fortunately, Lee made a very focused, beautiful yet gently disquieting concise suite. Love it.

Quote:

Up the queue for today:
a Gaelynn Lee album that I got for free :)
The Living Room Sessions - Gaelynn Lea LIVE [2020 Album] by Gaelynn Lea

Got it too - she was very generous with us fanboys. :)

Antagon 11.16.2021 02:43 PM

Death's Dynamic Shroud - Faith In Persona

The Soup Nazi 11.17.2021 07:36 PM

_tunic_ 11.18.2021 03:43 AM

]

The album that's spinning in my head today. I am a living jukebox
Perhaps I will actually play it lateron as well ... but I'm doing online training right now. A training how to work from home ;)

Severian 11.18.2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Hmm…

!@#$%! 11.18.2021 08:34 PM

had a long intense good day and need to slow down to read, so...

this old reliable plus a dark room really get it done

Antagon 11.19.2021 05:43 PM

Good old Soma FM

_tunic_ 11.20.2021 07:17 AM

Phosphenes by Jessica Moss

The Soup Nazi 11.21.2021 12:26 AM

Love it. LOVE. IT. Sounds a bit like Dilloway remixing Kim & Nace, but that's probably an oversimplification of what they did and the studio and will do in concert - I hope a/some live recording(s) surface!

!@#$%! 11.22.2021 11:17 AM

i'd be ok with the eternal return right now. which in a way it is because i never stay away for too long from this.

Severian 11.22.2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Love it. LOVE. IT. Sounds a bit like Dilloway remixing Kim & Nace, but that's probably an oversimplification of what they did and the studio and will do in concert - I hope a/some live recording(s) surface!

Yeah it’s good stuff

dirty bunny 11.25.2021 02:12 AM

Korean rain.

The Soup Nazi 11.26.2021 02:27 AM

Quote:

I'm doing online training right now. A training how to work from home ;)