Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   mark e smith slags off sonic youth (again) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17617)

Toilet & Bowels 11.08.2007 03:08 PM

mark e smith slags off sonic youth (again)

go here http://www.vbs.tv/ then choose soft focus from the browse shows menu, then choose the mark e smith interview.
he slags them off twice, the old coot!

atsonicpark 11.08.2007 03:15 PM

Maybe because he knows his band is better?

Toilet & Bowels 11.08.2007 03:25 PM

rather ripped might be better forgotten but the fall fell off way worse than SY ever did, their music and has been totally bog standard for years. it all started to go downhill when brix joined.

finding nobody 11.08.2007 03:29 PM

He also called Jack Black a twat many-a-times
what video part is the slagging on?

Toilet & Bowels 11.08.2007 03:32 PM

part 4 is the main bit, and then either 2 or 3 has the other bit.

finding nobody 11.08.2007 03:34 PM

Thank you kindly.
I once read an interview where Thurston said something like "Some people think we're complete wanks, like Mark E Smith for example."

tesla69 11.08.2007 03:41 PM

I still don't quite believe Thurston when he claims they'd never listened to the Fall before their Peel session. He had a ticket to see Joy Division in NYC, of course he'd heard of the Fall.

atsonicpark 11.08.2007 03:50 PM

Yeah, that whole peel session thing was pretty dumb.

Rob Instigator 11.08.2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
I still don't quite believe Thurston when he claims they'd never listened to the Fall before their Peel session. He had a ticket to see Joy Division in NYC, of course he'd heard of the Fall.

why is that hard to believe?
I have never heard the Fall, and I liste to a LOT of music. don;t feel the need to listen to the Fall. Maye thurston felt this way?

maybe he was busy listening to actually grouindbreaking underground avant garde music? not some crank from the UK with cockrot teeth?

maybe mark E smith is a stupid fucking twat? maybe the Fall were just slightly better than the Jam or The Psychedelic Furs?

A Thousand Threads 11.08.2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
rather ripped might be better forgotten but the fall fell off way worse than SY ever did, their music and has been totally bog standard for years. it all started to go downhill when brix joined.

Do you mean when she joined the first time?

What is Mark E. Smith saying? I can't load the videos.

Bal 11.08.2007 05:50 PM

yeah i cant be bothered to watch all those vids
what is he saying?

the ikara cult 11.08.2007 06:22 PM

Ah that was very funny, he is good value.

SonikJesus 11.08.2007 06:46 PM

Yeah, I haven't heard the Fall yet either. I'm watching these vids rigth now and I seriously cannot tell what the fuck he is saying 90% of the time.

Danny Himself 11.08.2007 07:07 PM

The ugly old manc bastard. He's just jealous because Thurston gets to shag Kim and be a demi-God.

atsonicpark 11.08.2007 10:36 PM

Wait, people have opinions?

Everyneurotic 11.08.2007 11:13 PM

i can't believe people are slagging off the fall!!!

pbradley 11.08.2007 11:25 PM

lol at Mark E.. Smith saying that Jack Black is a twat

Dead-Air 11.08.2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
why is that hard to believe?
I have never heard the Fall, and I liste to a LOT of music. don;t feel the need to listen to the Fall. Maye thurston felt this way?

maybe he was busy listening to actually grouindbreaking underground avant garde music? not some crank from the UK with cockrot teeth?

maybe mark E smith is a stupid fucking twat? maybe the Fall were just slightly better than the Jam or The Psychedelic Furs?

Smith says and does many stupid things when he's drunk, which is of course, a whole lot of the time. And the one time I saw them live it was a disgrace.

However, you are seriously missing out if you truly never heard the Fall. They've been pretty hit and miss for decades, but early stuff like Live at the Witch Trials, Hex Enduction Hour, and the Wonderful and Frightenting World of... are every bit the "groundbreaking underground avant garde music" you speak of and have nothing in common with the pop new wave bands you mention. Instead they mined the middle ground somewhere between No Wave and Kraut Rock in an entirely individualist regional manner that made for some of the most challenging rock of it's day.

Seriously Rob, if you haven't ever heard them, you should do yourself a favor. Listening to Mark E. Smith's pissed prattling today, no, nobody should have to do that, but that has nothing to do with the Fall's recorded legacy (and their later output is still often significantly better than that by, say, the Butthole Surfers or Bob Mould).

I'm sure Thurston was B.S.ing when he said they hadn't heard the Fall when they covered those songs in '88. We are talking about one of the world's all time biggest record collectors and a legendary band here. I'm sure if any of us had Thurston's deadpan monotone voice and every two-bit indie-wanker journalist in the world asking us stupid questions, we'd tell some whoppers to see what they'd believe too.

atsonicpark 11.08.2007 11:53 PM

The Fall have more great albums than Sonic Youth. Of course, The fall have like 50 albums, so...

sarramkrop 11.09.2007 04:29 AM

Oh, it's that old English band thing of having, erm, strong opinions about other bands. Yawn.

pbradley 11.09.2007 04:30 AM

Somebody, quick, ask John Lydon what he thinks about The Fall.

ZEROpumpkins 11.09.2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Ditto

PAULYBEE2656 11.09.2007 07:44 AM

for all of you slagging off the fall and never having ebven heard of them and yet claim to be into music.... go out and buy a couple of fall albums, they are dirtcheap at this stage of life and ignorance isnt an excuse....... the fall are probably one of the most important "post" punk bands to emerge from either europe or anywhere. remember, pavement ripped off the fall admittedly by accident but thn accepted it!

as for mark slagging off the youth, ha fucking ha! so what, we all know he hates them as much as he hates most music made since 1950. its mark e smith for gods sake, take him seriously at your peril!

now go off and listen to some quality music and listen to the mighty fall......
i am amazed at the amount of slagging the fall have got on this thread. talk about touchy!

rather ripped is poor by sy stndards but o say that the fall went down since brix rejoined is partly true, she hasnt been in the band for 5 years now at least and 2 of the last 3 albums are probably the falls best work, fall heads roll and country on the click, admittedly the new one reformation post tlc is poor!

PAULYBEE2656 11.09.2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

because he is so in tune with music these days and isnt a tv celebrity in any shape or form. john lydon does deserve recognition but not idolisation due to the many reforming of that second rate pub band called the sex pistols!

pbradley 11.09.2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
because he is so in tune with music these days and isnt a tv celebrity in any shape or form. john lydon does deserve recognition but not idolisation due to the many reforming of that second rate pub band called the sex pistols!

Yeah, I was just bring up Lydon's kind of "everything but me is irrelevant attitude" from PiL and comparing it to Mark E. Smith.

the ikara cult 11.09.2007 09:58 AM

I think i read a quote by MES one time where he says "People take The Fall too seriously sometimes".

But its true if youve never even tried listening to them
1. Its a pain knowing which album to go for - the ones Dead Air Mentioned are fine together with Perverted By Language, if you like pink album covers.
2. Why base yr opinions of a rock band on the singer not liking one of the bands you like? Cmon now. And that Talking Heads reference must be about Franz Bleedin Ferdinand who went all guns blazing telling everyone how they loved The Fall, but i kept thinking... nope, youre ripping off Talking Heads you poor old Scottish Men.

Rob Instigator 11.09.2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The Fall have more great albums than Sonic Youth. Of course, The fall have like 50 albums, so...

that is a ridiculous statement.

Rob Instigator 11.09.2007 10:31 AM

I will check these out. Thanks for the recommendation

Live at the Witch Trials, Hex Enduction Hour, and the Wonderful and Frightenting World of...

Everyneurotic 11.09.2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

hahahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I think i read a quote by MES one time where he says "People take The Fall too seriously sometimes".

damn straight.

so, am i the only one who enjoyed post reformation tlc? sure, it's not their best work but it's far from their worse.

Rob Instigator 11.09.2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
hahahaha

damn straight.

so, am i the only one who enjoyed post reformation tlc? sure, it's not their best work but it's far from their worse.

left eye? fuck that R&B bullshit.

Everyneurotic 11.09.2007 11:16 AM

that's the name of their last album. post reformation tlc

and well, tlc, the one you're talking about had some really great songs, by the way. (and two out of the three were very hot).

Rob Instigator 11.09.2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

and well, tlc, the one you're talking about had some really great songs, by the way. (and two out of the three were very hot).

no me digas tus ridiculeses.

tesla69 11.09.2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

I will check these out. Thanks for the recommendation

Live at the Witch Trials, Hex Enduction Hour, and the Wonderful and Frightenting World of...

Rob, add Grotesque After the Gramme to your list, please.

Pretty please...

Rob Instigator 11.09.2007 12:29 PM

what's a Gramme?

Bal 11.09.2007 12:38 PM

oddly enouff sonic youths myspace site says 'we love the fall'

Danny Himself 11.09.2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

what's a Gramme?

Thats the British Empire spelling of 'Gram'. Like the weight. Or Gram Parsons.

SynthethicalY 11.09.2007 01:10 PM

I stopped watching I could not understand anything.

badgercorn 11.09.2007 01:52 PM

I'm sure Thurston has mentioned that The Fall were an influence on Sonic Youth. The Fall were releasing records for about 5 years before SY formed, correct me if i'm wrong. Also an image of Mark E Smith appears in the Teenage Riot video.

Smith only listens to dance music, reggae, and Krautrock, apparently. I wouldn't expect him to like any of his peers or any younger bands, or admit to it anyway.

noisereductions 11.09.2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

I thought it was good. Certainly not great. The problem was that the good songs were really good, and the bad songs were really bad... so you ended up with just a middle of the road record when you thought about it as a whole. But I still look forward to their next.

atsonicpark 11.09.2007 03:46 PM

Rob, explain to me how my statement is ridiculous, yet you haven't even heard the Fall.

It's not an opinion, a FACT: The Fall have more GREAT albums than sonic youth. They happen to have more albums, period, this is true -- but they have a wide, wide group of albums that are consistently amazing.