Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the official i miss sleater-kinney thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35416)

notyourfiend 10.22.2009 02:11 PM

the official i miss sleater-kinney thread

i know that users on this board have mixed feelings about them as a band and that's perfectly fine. however, this is not a thread to debate sleater-kinney's worth. rather, it's a place where those of us who were fans can express our grievances/share our memories etc.

okay, so it's been three plus years since they decided to call it quits and i still find myself tearing up when i listen to their music. i find the song "#1 must have" is especially poignant, especially when corin starts screaming "now is the time to invent." seriously, why did you ladies have to go? sometimes i get angry because i feel as though i was back stabed - i really wanted to believe that corin was not going to let the tention between work and motherhood get to her, that carrie wouldn't be be resorting to blogs to channel her creative energy. they all really need to start playing in new bands, quickly. :(:(:(

Rob Instigator 10.22.2009 02:18 PM

I am with ya. Sleater Kinney always brought out the RAWK, and they are missed but all good things must come to an end sometime, and carrie found out she likes Phish in her blog. ha ha

notyourfiend 10.22.2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am with ya. Sleater Kinney always brought out the RAWK, and they are missed but all good things must come to an end sometime, and carrie found out she likes Phish in her blog. ha ha

she really likes phish? that's totally LOLZ worthy. i like how carrie's current stuff is able to express her really unique sense of humor. she always makes me chuckle. it saddens me that she doesn't seem to be playing much music though. by the end of their run as a band, she had become an awesome guitarist!!!!! i feel like she had finally proven DIY's worth.

loubarret 10.22.2009 02:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnSBTI4Pbvk

jennthebenn 10.22.2009 03:31 PM

Music is 64% more suck without them.

But I'd rather they never reunite then do some Pavement/Pixies "hey look
we're not gonna do any new music and try to add anything vital but
we can go through the motions real good" thing.

Rob Instigator 10.22.2009 03:43 PM

true

jenns got the wisdom but not the fantasy football luck.

jennthebenn 10.22.2009 03:52 PM

I love putting up 100 plus points and LOSING. It just makes me want to
shit happy faces! Well...at least I can rest on past glories and aim for .500.

Sigh.

Vikes are 6-0 though. This makes up for it.

notyourfiend 10.22.2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Music is 64% more suck without them.

But I'd rather they never reunite then do some Pavement/Pixies "hey look
we're not gonna do any new music and try to add anything vital but
we can go through the motions real good" thing.

I agree, even though it still upsets me that they are gone. I'd be better able to deal carrie, corin and janet formed new bands.

Rob Instigator 10.22.2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
I love putting up 100 plus points and LOSING. It just makes me want to
shit happy faces! Well...at least I can rest on past glories and aim for .500.

Sigh.

Vikes are 6-0 though. This makes up for it.

last year's championship did you in. I saw your scorees and you lost 3 games in which you scored more than 94 pts. OUCH. happy face shitting indeed.

the Vikes are ROLLIN', though does it suck a little bit seeing your old hated nemesis become a mercenary and join up with you?

I say, better a teammate than an opponent!

I hope the Texans win two games in a row sometime this yhear.

jennthebenn 10.22.2009 04:23 PM

It's not the Favre show, which makes it better...I mean that's what the
media makes it out to be, but anyone who actually watches the games
(thus eliminating much of said media) knows that there's AP, Percy Harvin,
Sidney Rice, Jared Allen...it's an undefeated TEAM.

And part of me is just waiting for that old hick to fuck up like he did with
the Jets. I will never fully stop hating him unless Minny wins the Super
Bowl.

jennthebenn 10.22.2009 04:24 PM

Also: Carrie Brownstein mentioned Brett Favre in a Monitor Mix blog entry.
Relevance to topic.

Rob Instigator 10.22.2009 04:37 PM

always on point

evollove 10.22.2009 05:35 PM

I'm gonna name drop here.

SK was one of my favorite bands for awhile. In a little club, Corin was selling t-shirts at a stand so I took upon myself to fall at her feet and lavish her with the love and devotion she deserves. She couldn't have been nicer. An underrated guitarist.

Later, met Carrie, who was an awful, awful person. Ever since then, I've felt she plays like Johnny Marr with a broken hand.

Never met Janet, so she's still one of my favorite drummers.

They have a few bland tunes in their catalogue, but I often crank up their best songs and I'm still blown away. The riffs, the passion, the playing, the sheer liberation I feel when I listen to them...they make me feel like I could take over the world in the name of a good cause...the perfect soundtrack for a revolution.

atsonicpark 10.22.2009 06:31 PM

While I'm not a fan so I won't be posting anything else in this thread, the song "Combat Rock" is fucking badass (especially the guitar interplay).

knox 10.22.2009 07:07 PM

I fucking love sleater-kinney, and this is how it goes:

1- All hands on the bad one
2- Call the doctor
3- Dig me out
4 - Sleater-kinney
5 - One beat

Toilet & Bowels 10.22.2009 07:58 PM

i'm surprised that none of them have started new bands (although is quasi still going?), the spells should do another record.
i used to really love sleater kinney, but these days the only thing of theirs i still like is the hot rock, which i think is a totally great record, it's a real shame they kind of went backwards after making that.

noisereductions 10.22.2009 08:06 PM

it's weird. I loved -- no, I still Love ALL HANDS ON THE BAD ONE. But all their other albums were just okay to me.

jennthebenn 10.22.2009 08:38 PM

"All Hands" is still my favorite of theirs, and a top 25 record of all time for
me. Some of the catchiest passive-aggressive behavior ever put to tape.

noisereductions 10.22.2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm surprised that none of them have started new bands (although is quasi still going?), the spells should do another record.
i used to really love sleater kinney, but these days the only thing of theirs i still like is the hot rock, which i think is a totally great record, it's a real shame they kind of went backwards after making that.

I think Quasi is still happening. But nothing is as awesome as FEATURING BIRDS.

notyourfiend 10.22.2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Later, met Carrie, who was an awful, awful person.

My gf has a funny story about complementing Carrie and her saying some really snobb.y comment Her ex got all up in Carrie's face after that and she (Carrie) apparently got really defensive and appologetic.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm their only loyal fan who absolutely loved The Woods. But seriously, their talent (and Janet Weiss' drumming) on that record blew me away. Let's call it love? Yes, please!