Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nick Cave Solo Career (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11029)

dazedcola 03.05.2007 01:13 PM

Nick Cave Solo Career

I loved him in the birthday party but never really bothered to check out his solo albums. I've heard good things and i know hes a very good songwriter, so whats a good record to jump into?

luxinterior 03.05.2007 02:29 PM

I wouldn't consider the Bad Seeds as being Nick solo at all...but anyway, my favorite record is The First Born is Dead.

Pookie 03.05.2007 03:56 PM

Try The Boatman's Call if you want Nick Cave's finest moment.

terminal pharmacy 03.05.2007 04:36 PM

firts born is brilliant, no more shall we part my current favourite also brilliant

Florya 03.06.2007 04:17 AM

If you want Nick Cave's solo work, I suggest you read his books.

As far as I'm aware he's never been a solo musical artist.

My favourite non-Birthday Party album - From her to Eternity. Mainly for 'A Box for Black Paul' and 'Saint Huck'

sun city girl 03.06.2007 04:23 AM

tender prey hasn't been mentioned yet so i'll vote for that.

oh, and your funeral, my trial too.

but now i remembered: the best is definitely kicking against the pricks, a wonderful album of cover versions. yeah i know, that sort of records generally suck but this is the exception.

sonicl 03.06.2007 04:31 AM

Get the "Best Of" and work outwards from there.

terminal pharmacy 03.06.2007 04:54 AM

i say don't get nocturna first, because it is his worst outing but still good

Pookie 03.06.2007 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl

"Best of..."? What are you, a girl?

sonicl 03.06.2007 08:16 AM

Yes.

luxinterior 03.06.2007 11:52 AM

Or get that videos collection they put out on DVD a while ago. Which is basically the "best of" album only with visual accompaniment, and that's a positive thing with this group as they are tremendously good-looking.

sonicl 03.06.2007 12:00 PM

Have you seen the Abbatoir Blues live DVD, Lux? It has a few videos as well as live footage, and the vid for Bring It On is hilarious.

Pookie 03.06.2007 12:29 PM

It's worth getting the videos collection for the between video interviews. It's clear from these, and from the videos themselves, just how much they hate making them. They tend to be the group looking really bored, in a variety of settings.

Norma J 03.07.2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Or get that videos collection they put out on DVD a while ago. Which is basically the "best of" album only with visual accompaniment, and that's a positive thing with this group as they are tremendously good-looking.

I agree. Do it this way. That way the songs you particularly like from this DVD, you can go and seek them albums out. Plus, it's fine viewing.

And I agree with whoever said his work with the Bad Seeds isn't his solo work.

luxinterior 03.07.2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

Have you seen the Abbatoir Blues live DVD, Lux? It has a few videos as well as live footage, and the vid for Bring It On is hilarious.

Nah, must have missed that. Will be keeping my eyes open for it though...I do have some live album from that tour or something, which is pretty good.

Anyway, the person who started this thread could also go on Youtube and watch pretty much any Bad Seeds video they want.

Dead-Air 03.07.2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Why the fuck do people always reccomend "Best Of"s for artists who's truly best work isn't a bunch of singles and concessions to pop charts? Anybody who gets into the Birthday Party is going to have a hard time swallowing shite like "Deanna", and the Bad Seeds have so much better to offer than the "might get on 120 Minutes" fare on that damn "Best Of"!

Start with From Her to Eternity which is a fucking killer album that picks up where the Birthday Party left of (but with Blixa on guitar for Crissakes!) (for an amazing piece of live footage from those days check out the Wim Wenders masterpiece Wings of Desire) and keep getting them in order at least through Your Funeral My Trial.

Tender Prey he starts to veer into, "Maybe I can really make it if I just try a couple crap songs" territory, but it does have "The Mercy Seat", which is a total classic, so that's a harder call.

More recent albums have Blixa out of the picture and Nick trying way too hard to sound like Leonard Cohen. I love Leonard Cohen, but who the hell wants an imitation?

Norma J 03.07.2007 02:33 AM

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are one of them bands whose singles are fucking great aswell as the rest of their material though. There's not many bands like that.

Quote:

More recent albums have Blixa out of the picture and Nick trying way too hard to sound like Leonard Cohen. I love Leonard Cohen, but who the hell wants an imitation?

Do you own their latest release?

I don't hear any Cohen in any of their catalogue.

terminal pharmacy 03.07.2007 02:47 AM

abatoir blues sounds about as much like cohen as pantera

Norma J 03.07.2007 02:52 AM

HAHA. Too true.

sonicl 03.07.2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Why the fuck do people always reccomend "Best Of"s for artists who's truly best work isn't a bunch of singles and concessions to pop charts? Anybody who gets into the Birthday Party is going to have a hard time swallowing shite like "Deanna", and the Bad Seeds have so much better to offer than the "might get on 120 Minutes" fare on that damn "Best Of"!

This particular person suggests the "Best Of" to someone who wants to know where to begin because it offers a good cross-section of Nick Cave's early work, and provides a good starting point. I didn't say, "buy the best of and stop there", did I?

And if the person who asked the question wanted more Birthday Party material, suely he would have asked "are there any more bands like the Birthday Party out there".

Stop acting like an elitist twat.