Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   People Who Do Noise DVD (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29178)

blunderbuss 01.29.2009 05:03 PM

People Who Do Noise DVD

Not my tasse de thé, but I'm sure some of you'll like it:

"People Who Do Noise is a film about the experimental music of Portland, Oregon. Extensive interviews and intimate performance footage provide an intense portrait of the motivations, emotions, and ideas that go into this uncompromising, sometimes brutal musical form. Unwavering in its focus, the film brings to light an art form unfathomable to many, with only the words of the musicians themselves providing any explanation for the pulsating sonic chaos they create.

The film takes a very personal approach, capturing the musicians working alone with no interference from a live audience. What often took place in crowded basements or dark smoky venues was stripped bare for the cameras, providing an unprecedented glimpse of the many different instruments and methods used.

Covering a wide range of artists and styles, the film features everything from the absurdist free-improvisations of genre-pioneers Smegma, to the harsh-noise assaults of Oscillating Innards and everything in between. Many of the artists in the film, such as Yellow Swans and Daniel Menche, have performed and sold records all over the world. In spite of such successes, noise music remains one of the least understood and most inaccessible of genres.

With an unflinching cinematic style, the film defies any trend-setting or commercial representation, opting instead for a stark portrayal of a musical underground at its most genuine and vital. For the subjects of the film, noise music is a way of life; a life in opposition to the tidy, orderly, and vacuous pop-culture experience." - Cold Hands.

http://www.peoplewhodonoise.com/

afterthefact 01.29.2009 05:07 PM

I'm not a HUGE noise fan, but I'd probably watch it. I'm always up for a good music DVD, and they can be hard to find at times. Now if you want a live AC/DC or Pearl Jam DVD, you are in luck; they are EVERYWHERE.

Glice 01.29.2009 05:08 PM

I think noise is probably the best understood genre. It's mostly shit and there's too much of it. Everyone knows that.

afterthefact 01.29.2009 05:11 PM

Yes, you know it, but do you understand it? Yeah..............

sarramkrop 01.29.2009 05:16 PM

I made it my new year resolution to stop listening to anything that has dubious motivations for existing.

Dubious motivations according to sarramkrop:

1 - An infantile desire to shock

2 -Saying shit, just louder

3 - Purposely trying to drive people off your music, rather than spreading the good/evil and all inbetween vibes

4 - Imagining that notes are really a substitute for your 'plague'

5 - Imagining that lack of talent is easily hidden by aural ineptitude

Good riddance.

Rob Instigator 01.29.2009 05:17 PM

that's like a guideline for music in the new millenium

greedrex 01.29.2009 05:18 PM

@Porkypork^^ oh my, you use language in such a precise way, i'm not joking. I like reading your stuff, it's eductaional.

afterthefact 01.29.2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I made it my new year resolution to stop listening to anything that has dubious motivations for existing.

3 - Purposely trying to drive people off your music, rather than spreading the good/evil and all inbetween vibes

Good riddance.

Soooo.... you aren't going to listen to music anymore?

sarramkrop 01.29.2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Soooo.... you aren't going to listen to music anymore?

why you ask?

atsonicpark 01.29.2009 05:40 PM

Had this at the top of my netflix queue for months but it's never been sent. Always Availability: Short wait.

Toilet & Bowels 01.29.2009 06:17 PM

so who is actually featured in the thing?

atsonicpark 01.29.2009 06:18 PM

yellow swans and some other bands and some hot chick.

Dead-Air 01.29.2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Good riddance.

All fair. From what I understand about this movie, it shouldn't be overly like that. Of course when you document a bunch of people, somebody is likely to go that direction, but I have to say my experience of the Portland "noise" scene is that it's mostly people who take making music seriously in the right ways. I don't think Yellow Swans or Soup Purse are even "noise" by the cliches of the genre, but it seems to be an effective way to get a certain level of acceptance in Portland to say you play "noise" that you will never get saying you play "electro-acoustic" or "experimental music". It's kind of like the days when bands like Flipper and Sun City Girls were considered part of the "hardcore" scene because that was the scene they arose from rather than sounded like.

Dead-Air 01.29.2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
and some hot chick.

Would that be badlands?

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 12:20 AM

I believe so. I'd never heard of her before.

friendcatcher 01.30.2009 12:24 AM

One of my good friends made this documentary, so needless to say i recommend it. it features Smegma as well.

nobye-noaloha 01.30.2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I think noise is probably the best understood genre. It's mostly shit and there's too much of it. Everyone knows that.

i didn't know but there are really too much assholes on this forum....
do you know this word : tolerance....
i think you're a big fat mo'fo...

Everyneurotic 01.30.2009 12:22 PM

i make noise purely for shocking purposes and to say offensive things louder.

i obviously don't have any talent at all.

afterthefact 01.30.2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

why you ask?

Just kidding, seeing as how these rules, although very good rules to go by, cancel out a lot of music.

Glice 01.30.2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobye-noaloha
i didn't know but there are really too much assholes on this forum....
do you know this word : tolerance....
i think you're a big fat mo'fo...

Noise is antithetical to the notion of tolerance. The founding edict of noise is prurience (cf the etymology of 'cacophony', viz 'shit'). I don't think there's any point in pretending that noise is anything other than masturbatory bollocks at this point in time, although I'd like to be surprised.

I am a cunt but I assure you I'm a slight one.