Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lee Wishes There Was More Silence in New York (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39461)

Moshe 04.17.2010 01:31 AM

Lee Wishes There Was More Silence in New York

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/04...naldo_wis.html

_slavo_ 04.17.2010 01:44 AM

very nice, thanks Moshe

ann ashtray 04.17.2010 01:50 AM

Best SY related interview I've read in a long time. Loved the unconventional questions as we already know how Lee feels about being on an indie label these days.

Thanks for posting this.

Silence really is a great thing. Some might even argue that it's a form of music within itself. It can be just as inspirational and thought provoking as any recorded music by any artist, if only one allows it to be. Thankfully I live in a place that allows silence (sometimes...). I'd go crazy without my healthy doses of it.

chrome noise tape 04.17.2010 03:14 AM

i wish more nature noise than the silence of the city.

automatic bzooty 04.17.2010 09:53 AM

man that comment section suuuuuure is douche-y.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.17.2010 11:44 AM

Frankie's is a good joint.

SonicBebs 04.17.2010 03:32 PM

my dads a cyclist too.

cagedbird 04.17.2010 04:38 PM

it's easy to be alone in the city. great line.i was feeling lonely today. now more in awe of things like sculpture, dj's and this thread.

re the article (and comments) i want to say, it is interesting that no one asked lee about hometown sports...is music the cool guy's sport, like my favorite san franciscan said to me?

lee is free!

logicalharm 04.17.2010 11:18 PM

I loved what he said about having alone time anywhere in the city - NYC is certainly an introvert's paradise in a somewhat paradoxical way.

Nice article! :)

greenlight 04.18.2010 06:08 AM

cheers for the interview. comments are great..

jnic 04.19.2010 12:44 PM

Thx for posting this. Yes, the people who commented after the article are the biggest douches.
Lee is one of the nicest rock stars I've ever met. I hung out with him in the "smoking pen' outside of Irving Plaza during set break of a Ray Davies show a few years ago. As I went back inside, I just said "Thank You" He replied, "For what?" I said, "For your music" ....I know, kind of cheesey, but he smilied and then I went back inside to rock out to Ray.

Rob Instigator 04.19.2010 01:31 PM

thnx!

Rob Instigator 04.19.2010 01:35 PM

i cannot see the comments

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.19.2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnic
Thx for posting this. Yes, the people who commented after the article are the biggest douches.
Lee is one of the nicest rock stars I've ever met. I hung out with him in the "smoking pen' outside of Irving Plaza during set break of a Ray Davies show a few years ago. As I went back inside, I just said "Thank You" He replied, "For what?" I said, "For your music" ....I know, kind of cheesey, but he smilied and then I went back inside to rock out to Ray.

agreed. I like lee, we were chatting it up about the Dead for like 20 minutes back at the Filter party gig in the Warehouse district, when was that, 2006? Steve is the greatest guy in the band, if not in the world, however drummers are almost universally cool people, except when they get all Phil Collins.. I heard Dave Grohl drummin with the Crooked Vultures I believe, damn good shit, he is one of the best drummers ever, I hated it when he jumped on guitar, he's not bad there either, but truly his art is the drum (sorry for the tangent, I'm rather baked this morning)

jnic 04.19.2010 02:15 PM

"agreed. I like lee, we were chatting it up about the Dead for like 20 minutes back at the Filter party gig in the Warehouse district,"

Yeah, most people would shudder to think that Lee is a fan of the Grateful Dead. Just like most SY fans I've talked to shudder when I admit I like Phish (I hate hippies and the scene that follows them), but I would like to know Lee's opinion about Phish.......

Rob Instigator 04.19.2010 02:20 PM

<--loves Phish

seen em 8 times

jnic 04.19.2010 02:25 PM

Nice Rob Instigator!
72 times here, SY I've seen about a dozen times.
2 best bands to see live.

the ikara cult 04.19.2010 02:30 PM

"noise musician" !!!
Lee Ranaldo is so much more than that

Rob Instigator 04.19.2010 03:01 PM

lee is a skronk GOD

Rob Instigator 04.19.2010 03:19 PM

I remember thurston saying that a Phish/SY show would draw on people who both love to watch a guitar go OFF into the stratosphere I agree