Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Could you love someone who didn't love Sonic Youth? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19756)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.16.2008 02:38 AM

Could you love someone who didn't love Sonic Youth?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

✌➬ 02.16.2008 02:40 AM

Yeah, I am with someone right now who despises them. But I don't care about that, I despise Bono, so we are even.

ZEROpumpkins 02.16.2008 02:46 AM

Nah. Poll?

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.16.2008 02:53 AM

No poll, polls don't provoke discussion.

✌➬ 02.16.2008 02:53 AM

How about you spectral can you be with someone who didn't like Sonic Youth?

ZEROpumpkins 02.16.2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
No poll, polls don't provoke discussion.

I'll provoke you!

✌➬ 02.16.2008 03:00 AM

I think you can have different taste in music and still fall for each other. I never got that whole I like everything you like, don't get me wrong it is nice to have some music in common. But for me music is my thing not the other, if they don't like it that is fine. With my boyfriend, his thing is movies, while my thing is music and we are just fine like that. So what i am trying to say, is that I don't need to have anything in common with someone to be able to fall in love with.

SYRFox 02.16.2008 03:16 AM

I could someone in love with someone you don't love Sonic Youth, but music is my life, so I think I couldn't fall in love with someone that would have really different musical tastes. For instance, the last girl I fell in love with listened to Jeff Buckley, Eels, and loved the bands I made her discover (Redjetson, Boards Of Canada, Slowdive...).

ZEROpumpkins 02.16.2008 03:17 AM

I think because music is such an important part of my life, it'd be important to me to have someone who had similar taste. I think people's taste reveals a lot about their personality.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.16.2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
How about you spectral can you be with someone who didn't like Sonic Youth?

I've tried and it hasn't worked. How can I love someone who doesn't love wailing blasts of guitar noise and energy, and intense melodic and dissonant contrasts? That's who I am as a person. To me that is like trying to love a republican or a scientologist. They just see the world and beauty in a completely different way than I do.

How can you relate to someone without some shared perspectives?

pbradley 02.16.2008 03:22 AM

Yes, I could. I don't believe in the whole "music is my life" philosophy. Reminds me of elitist hipster types that diss people behind their back for liking some band. I never advocate insulatory thinking. Hell, my brother was never much of a Sonic Youth fan apart from Daydream Nation even though he was the one that turned me on to them. It hasn't been until now that I've began to start bringing him over with Trees Outside and Sonic Nurse from his cynical opinion of the youth.

ZEROpumpkins 02.16.2008 03:41 AM

I hear pbradley secretly listens to a very un-indie band. Fellow hipsters, we must discuss this at the next meeting.

pbradley 02.16.2008 03:48 AM

I only love people that are exactly like me.

Death & the Maiden 02.16.2008 03:58 AM

Yes, but they would probably have to be very interested in music. Not exactly the same music as me, but it'd be good if we could turn each other onto different music.

uhler 02.16.2008 03:58 AM

yes. now if it was minor threat then i don't know. actually, i prefer them to have somewhat similar interests but i don't care that much.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.16.2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I only love people that are exactly like me.

How dull.

I don't want someone just like me, but I have this philosophy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioiv2IGRcVY

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.16.2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
yes. now if it was minor threat then i don't know. actually, i prefer them to have somewhat similar interests but i don't care that much.

I could understand if a girl wasn't a big fan of hardcore punk that I liked.

But I pretty much consider people who feel nothing when listening to Sister and Evol to be inhuman. (no, not you Rob!)

pbradley 02.16.2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

How dull.

I agree wholly.

king_buzzo 02.16.2008 04:22 AM

yes.

uhler 02.16.2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

I could understand if a girl wasn't a big fan of hardcore punk that I liked.

But I pretty much consider people who feel nothing when listening to Sister and Evol to be inhuman. (no, not you Rob!)

well, i can see them not liking anything before daydream nation or goo as much as hardcore punk. evol and sister are still pretty abrasive to the "normal" music listener.