Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drug music for non-drug takers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40902)

GeneticKiss 08.10.2010 11:41 PM

Drug music for non-drug takers

I've found that some people look at me strangely when I tell them I like Pink Floyd and trippy/psychedelic music even though I never have taken and most likely never will take anything stronger than liquor, caffeine, and Red Bull (not all at once mind you) and medication when necessary.

Is it really that weird to be into crazy out there sounds even though I'm not into getting fucked up in the head?

And for those who must know, it's not so much a case I'm afraid of getting caught with illicit substances by the authorities or the possible metal/physical consequences as it is I have enough trouble with my head already...I have a tendency to mumble to myself and get easily distracted sometimes, to the point of almost losing focus on my surroundings completely...

jennthebenn 08.10.2010 11:50 PM

No, it's not weird. I've never done any illicit substance. Mind you, I've been
known to drink. And I mean known. That's why I don't drink very much and
I don't fuck with anything else. I'd overdo it like a dumb bitch. I know it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2010 11:56 PM

the music is not about tripping. sure tripping can add to the music, but I do believe the music is just the music, its like all art, its what you make it.

FreshChops 08.11.2010 12:04 AM

I used to be attracted to trippy music long before I ever tried any drugs. I didn't know why I was attracted to it until after I tried drugs. Once I experimented with drugs, all of my trippy favorites like Janet Jackson's "Black Cat" took on another whole dimension. Nunt, nunt, nu-nu-nunt, nunt, nunt, na....

hevusa 08.11.2010 12:08 AM

people that don't try drugs are lame. are you really going to live your whole life just curious? fuck that.

Murmer99 08.11.2010 12:16 AM

it isn't weird. what is weird is anyone who would think you have to take drugs to listen to a band.

Dead-Air 08.11.2010 12:16 AM

my wife has never particularly been into any drugs but alcohol but her tastes in music have always seemed stoned to oblivion. not just her own listening habits either, if I have on the Spacemen 3 or Hawkwind she'll always have to ask me who it is like she's never heard it before, but then say how incredibly good she thinks it is. she actually envies me for the pleasure I get from smoking weed, while I envy her for seemingly not needing to do so for the same effects.

Inhuman 08.11.2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
people that don't try drugs are lame. are you really going to live your whole life just curious? fuck that.

Music can evoke emotion that manifests as it's own inexpressible reaction on consciousness / perception similar to the consciousness shift when taking drugs. To me drugs are a more blatant yet not more valid way of shifting the way one reacts, as they can both be seen as valid ways of producing a shift in someone's reality tunnel beyond our Aristotelian school of thought.

FreshChops 08.11.2010 01:27 AM

My wife has never done any psychedelics and rarely alcohol. She is the complete opposite of me and we are pretty much have opposite taste in music. She has no tolerence for what is generally derived from and created by the influence of drug use, "noisy" stuff as she describes it.

I think everyone has different taste by default, but I often wonder how she would perceive the same noisy stuff if say smoking weed. I think she would actually appreciate it in a new way. We talk about it and she's willing to try it, I just never really follow through with it.

I am all about the power of music and it's at the essence of every ounce of my soul, but I will declare, music takes on a whole other dimension and to a whole other level experienced on psychedelics, even as simple as weed. I'm not turning this into a do-drug advocate, but everyone is kidding themselves if they think nothing is lacking without the influence of drugs.

To me, to put it very simply, without drugs music = 2 dimensional; with drugs music = 3 dimensional

interesting topic!

SpaceCadetHayden 08.11.2010 02:14 AM

There are people who don't get high?

_slavo_ 08.11.2010 02:26 AM

Yes, there are people like that.

SpaceCadetHayden 08.11.2010 02:28 AM

That shit is beyond me, yo.

Green_mind 08.11.2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Music can evoke emotion that manifests as it's own inexpressible reaction on consciousness / perception similar to the consciousness shift when taking drugs. To me drugs are a more blatant yet not more valid way of shifting the way one reacts, as they can both be seen as valid ways of producing a shift in someone's reality tunnel beyond our Aristotelian school of thought.

Yeah absolutely, I remember when getting into psych rock 'stoner' band Dead Meadow, reading a few comments from people that had gone to one of their shows sober as a cow and had said that their music actually made them feel like they were on smthing!

@ GeneticKiss, I say well done sir, you seem like a smart guy! I don't think it needs to be said, but never give into peer pressure or any of that bullshit.

FreshChops 08.11.2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
There are people who don't get high?

I remember during my high school daze.... always smoking weed throughout and the more high I was, the more convinced I was that all of my teachers were high too (seriously). I spent all my time explaining to peers how and why I thought certain teachers were high. Looking back, it was stupid.

Something about being under the influence always makes me think the next person is as well.... it's weird. I guess the higher I got, the weirder my outlook got, the weirder people appeared and more drugged up they appeared.

Kegmama 08.11.2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
No, it's not weird. I've never done any illicit substance. Mind you, I've been
known to drink. And I mean known. That's why I don't drink very much and
I don't fuck with anything else. I'd overdo it like a dumb bitch. I know it.

speaking from experience w/jenn, this is FACT. ^ ;)

batreleaser 08.11.2010 06:01 AM

Then there are records like Fugazi's "The Argument" that are totally drugged out yet created by a notoriously sober band.

batreleaser 08.11.2010 06:03 AM

I don't drug like I used to (I used to have an extremely unhealthy daily regiment of Oxycontin and Cocaine, took me about 15 months to flush that shit out of my system, been about three years since). I still drink 2-3 nights a week, smoke weed as much, and take the occasional E.

Genteel Death 08.11.2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa

What an idiot you are. There are more people who don't take drugs than people who do. Then you get people who shouldn't take any like yourself because they make you talk too much rubbish.

Derek 08.11.2010 07:14 AM

I've never done illicit substances and I probably listen to a lot more weird shit than a lot of people on this board.

Glice 08.11.2010 07:26 AM

I've done lots of drugs, and the only affect they've ever had is making me mildly sympathetic to some utterly shit music (Pink Floyd). Kids, just say no.