Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   destroy 2 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26112)

batreleaser 09.26.2008 01:23 PM

destroy 2

this is the one off collab between eye and chew hassegawa of corrputed. ive never heard this, but it sounds like something id love. i generally get really excited when avant garde artists get together with people from the extreme metal world (painkiller, naked city, shit like that).

wikipedia says this about it;
Destroy 2 (sometimes called Eye & Chew) was a short-lived Japanese noise rock band. Consisting of only two members, Yamantaka Eye of Boredoms (vocals) and Chew Hasegawa of Corrupted (drums), they released one infamous recording in 1996 called We Are Voice and Rhythm Only. This was actually a live recording of a concert in Osaka done as a support for Brutal Truth on their Japanese tour in February 1995. Running for little over 10 minutes, it nevertheless features 48 songs, the longest of which is "24H?" (39 seconds). Note that the song running times also include audience cheering and an introduction ("Next song is...") by Eye at the beginning and Eye's obligatory cry of "Fuck off!" at the end. Apart from that, the songs consist mostly of Chew attacking his drum set and Eye screaming the track titles in Engrish at the top of his lungs, generally creating a lot of feedback (which is sometimes mistaken for guitars). The album also includes two cover versions: "Beastie Boys" (from the early Beastie Boys EP Pollywog Stew) and "Nazi Punks Fuck Off!" (originally by Dead Kennedys), although the vocals of these have been sped up somewhat to fit into 18 and 17 seconds, respectively.Destroy 2 (sometimes called Eye & Chew) was a short-lived Japanese noise rock band. Consisting of only two members, Yamantaka Eye of Boredoms (vocals) and Chew Hasegawa of Corrupted (drums), they released one infamous recording in 1996 called We Are Voice and Rhythm Only. This was actually a live recording of a concert in Osaka done as a support for Brutal Truth on their Japanese tour in February 1995. Running for little over 10 minutes, it nevertheless features 48 songs, the longest of which is "24H?" (39 seconds). Note that the song running times also include audience cheering and an introduction ("Next song is...") by Eye at the beginning and Eye's obligatory cry of "Fuck off!" at the end. Apart from that, the songs consist mostly of Chew attacking his drum set and Eye screaming the track titles in Engrish at the top of his lungs, generally creating a lot of feedback (which is sometimes mistaken for guitars). The album also includes two cover versions: "Beastie Boys" (from the early Beastie Boys EP Pollywog Stew) and "Nazi Punks Fuck Off!" (originally by Dead Kennedys), although the vocals of these have been sped up somewhat to fit into 18 and 17 seconds, respectively.

if anyone knows where the fuck i can find this record, or if you can upload it, i will be of undying service to you.

atsonicpark 09.26.2008 02:30 PM

Yeah, I heard this a while back. It's um pretty funny/interesting, just yelling and beating on things. Nothing special. I'll look for a link for you.

atsonicpark 09.26.2008 02:32 PM

enjoy.

http://experimentaletc.blogspot.com/...destroy-2.html

Everyneurotic 09.26.2008 04:47 PM

chew was one of the boredoms' drummers around the time of chocolate synthetizer.

eye fired him after a few tours.

batreleaser 09.26.2008 05:02 PM

youre the fucking man.

corrputed is prolly my nomination for world's best doom band. they kinda have that khanate, like super slow, wierd slowed down black metal vocals, tribalistic drums, and really fucking scary, but more japanese and more wierd.

Everyneurotic 09.26.2008 05:05 PM

extra points for being pre-khanate and khanate influencing.

plus their older shit was more eyehategodesque but nastier and noisier.

batreleaser 09.26.2008 05:47 PM

yeah amazing band.

anyways, this record, destroy 2 'we are voice and rhythm only' is fucking crazy. im pretty sure when eye "fired" chew he just said, "listen my friend, your style isnt quite right for boredoms, but we should start the most primitive stripped down noise rock band with just me on random vocal noise and you on destruction drums, and were gonna smplify the shit out of everything and record a show opening up for brutal truth, then well be done, sound good? chew agreed. seriously though, its hard to believe this sounds good. its the most primitive thing ive ever heard. it pretty much makes the godz sound like kraftwerk. the aplification is great, it sounds like there's a guitar in there, but they were just making so much noise that night eye's voice and chew's drums left feedback. fucking sick. this is just total noise destruction, freaking out the audience, sick shit.

batreleaser 09.26.2008 05:49 PM

o and the covers of lee perry's 'super ape' and the dks' 'nazi punks fuck off' are whacked.