Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

toxic johnny 06.14.2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Ok.I don't know much about them but you made me want to listen to that album now.Is the cover of 'Secret side' any good?I'm of the opinion that the version of this song that Nico does on the Peel sessions e.p. CAN'T be bettered by anyone.

Sorry Porkmarras the cover is 'Afraid' and not Secret Side... I got a bit overly excited and mixed up there, will you ever forgive me... and yes you are right the Peel session version of Secret side is perfect.

This is definitely worth checking out.

porkmarras 06.14.2006 08:00 AM

Thanks Toxic Johnny.I'm glad that i wont leave that record unlistened and on the shelf any longer.I'll track the above album down and let you know what i think of it.I'm also glad that they stayed away from 'Secret side' 'cause that would have certainly turned out to be musical blasphemy.It is virtually impossible to cover Nico.Period.

marleypumpkin 06.14.2006 09:32 AM

TooL- Live: 5/13/06

king_buzzo 06.14.2006 10:17 AM

rapeman - up beat

Savage Clone 06.14.2006 10:37 AM

I am listening to an ancient 10" with a handmade cover entitled "Rail Dynamics." Train sounds on one side; a storm on the other. The surface noise gives it the weight of years, and this is pretty cool. Handstamped labels too!

Everyneurotic 06.14.2006 10:41 AM

cccc - cosmic coincidence control center

marleypumpkin 06.14.2006 10:42 AM

Primus- "Pork Soda"

PAULYBEE2656 06.14.2006 01:33 PM

swell maps

jane from occupied europe......

umjammer atomsk 06.14.2006 01:35 PM

Some random Be Your Own Pet songs that I have on my computer.

porkmarras 06.14.2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
swell maps

jane from occupied europe......

Accidentally,did anyone mention the death of Nikki Sudden in march?

sonic sphere 06.14.2006 03:07 PM

rather ripped-i don't know about everyone else but it sounds ok to me! does anyone else think the drums on rats sounds like the song funhouse by the stooges or is it just me???????????????????

Hip Priest 06.14.2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere
rather ripped-i don't know about everyone else but it sounds ok to me! does anyone else think the drums on rats sounds like the song funhouse by the stooges or is it just me???????????????????

Don't know about that, but I know that the drummy bit from 'Sleepin Arouund' is stuck in my head - I find myself tapping it with my fingers on a regular basis.

I'm listening to the soundtrack LP from the film 'Betty Blue', by Gabriel Yared.

Pookie 06.14.2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I am listening to an ancient 10" with a handmade cover entitled "Rail Dynamics." Train sounds on one side; a storm on the other. The surface noise gives it the weight of years, and this is pretty cool. Handstamped labels too!

Used to sell LOADS of sound effects Lp's when I was working in record shops (late 80's-early 90's). I'm listening to Subtle's A New White. And then it'll be Thurston Moore's Please Just Leave Me.

HaydenAsche 06.14.2006 04:19 PM

Cat Power - Moon Pix

Everyday for the last 3 months I've listened to this album.

Joey 06.14.2006 04:50 PM

Do you believe in Rapture

Hip Priest 06.14.2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone

By a slight coincidence, today I bought, for the princely sum of 50p (@ 80cents) a 1970 LP called The Age of Steam. It's a BBC educational thing to accompany some old TV programme about the 19th century. It's on now.

Side one is songs about the time, but side two is readings from acts of law, speeches etc. Side two, track 8 is For and Against The Railroad, reading from a report into whether or not there should be a railway between Liverpool and Manchester (which turned out to be the first timetabled passenger railway in the world - Rainhill Trials, Stephensons Rocket etc - I travel what's left of that very route quite often as it happens). So sort of connected.

Of no interest to you at all probably, Savage, and I'm quite sure that you'll never read this missive anyway, but that's just life I suppose...

Iain 06.14.2006 05:49 PM

No Neck Blues Band - Qvaris.

I've probably mentioned this before but I have a 7" flexi from the RSPB which is a collection of bird sounds which is really nice. Also, yesterday I found a couple of learn-a-language type 7"'s in the pile. One narrated by Magnus Magnusson! About learning German or something. And a French one as well.

Pookie 06.14.2006 05:54 PM

Gustafsson & Stackenas - Blues.

I used to have a dance instruction flexi.

CHOUT 06.15.2006 12:54 AM

Wire-154
I've had it a while, hasn't grown on me much except for a few songs (The 15th is one of the best songs ever written!).

youthoftomorrow 06.15.2006 12:59 AM

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic

not as good as Transmissions From The Satellite Heart but still pretty good.