Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Polvo? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1858)

PunkerViolence 05.14.2006 10:27 AM

Polvo?

Has anyone heared of these guys? Theyre pretty good man, sorta like pavement and a SY kinda sound to it, thats my first impressions anyhow.....does anyone know more about em?

Alex's Trip 05.14.2006 10:33 AM

They are awsome! Very underrated. I only have Today's Active Lifestyle. They aren't a band anymore but they have a myspace. Maybe they are still doing things together. Hopefully they will release some stuff or something.

Flen flyys 05.14.2006 01:36 PM

I just recently got Cor-Crane Secret and I love it. I also hear a slight similarity to Love Battery there, mostly with the vocals. I've discovered that their records are harder to find than I was expecting, but there is always Amazon.

Everyneurotic 05.14.2006 01:41 PM

rad band!!! i have today's active lifestyles too, very original and cool. often lumped into the math rock genre.

apparently, any album by them is great except for their last one called shapes, which sucks for most people. i can't really say, though

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.14.2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
They are awsome! Very underrated. I only have Today's Active Lifestyle.

same here

Dan 05.14.2006 02:45 PM

I only have Shapes. I bought it on vinyl a year ago or so because it had an OOP sticker on it and I knew they were lumped in with Pavement and Superchunk, etc. I like it a lot. I can tell that it's probably different from most of their other stuff without having heard anything else, so I can see why other people might not enjoy the album so much.

Trasher02 05.14.2006 03:02 PM

sounds great from the things i've heared.
I don't own an album though... yet.

Magublafix 05.14.2006 03:11 PM

where can i find some stuff of them?

Phlegmscope 05.14.2006 03:27 PM

1. today's active lifestyles
2. celebrate the new dark age
3. cor-crane secret
4. exploded drawing
5. s/t
6. this eclipse

I dunno... I haven't heard those in a couple of months so not that order necessarily, but along those lines anyway.
Tremendously great band, but you knew it already.

Dan 05.14.2006 03:27 PM

"Feathers of Forgiveness" from Exploded Drawing
"Enemy Insects" from Shapes

The 97th Hammer 05.14.2006 03:29 PM

Cor Crane Secret and Exploded Drawing are both faves of mine.

_slavo_ 05.15.2006 02:11 AM

EXPLODED DRAWING rules!

I remember being in USA in Colorado in Summer 2001 and playing this record while selling tickets at a go-cart race track. The people waiting for the tickets kept asking if there's something wrong with my stereo.

crappydrummer 05.15.2006 05:24 AM

today's active lifestyles is one of the best rock records ever recorded. if you, dear sy forum reader, are unfamiliar with this pice of work, do your self a favour and instantly get it.

i don't really hear a lot of pavement in their songs.. i once described them as shellac meets mudhoney.. anyways, they were totally great.

whorefrost 05.15.2006 06:20 AM

i've got corcrane secret and shapes... pretty underwhelmed by them to be honest... think they're a bit overrated... the music sounds like it hasn't aged that well... they always seem to be lumped together with unwound who i think are far superior

Rob Instigator 05.15.2006 08:55 AM

everything polvo did is fantastic. I love it all
get it all
the EP's, like Pavement's EP's had some of their greatest songs on them.
This Eclipse EP, is genius

My favoirite is CELEBREATE THE NEW DARK AGE EP.
that is the fucking best thing ever.

POLVO FOREVER!

Rob Instigator 05.15.2006 08:57 AM

and to me Polvo just took off where sonic youth started, and did their own thing. I fucking LOVE THEM

the trinity of noisy rock bands for me is thus

SONIC YOUTH
UNWOUND
POLVO, with sonic youth as the godhead and polvo and unwound being amnifest examples of the godhead.

SubSonicPumpAction 05.15.2006 09:14 AM

overrated? This band is extremely underrated. I love them.

s

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 05.15.2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
1. today's active lifestyles
2. celebrate the new dark age
3. cor-crane secret
4. exploded drawing
5. s/t
6. this eclipse

I would say:

1.Today's Active Lifestyles
2.Celebrate the New Dark Age EP
3.Exploded Drawing
4.Shapes
5.Cor-Crane Secret
6.This Eclipse EP
7.Polvo EP

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 05.15.2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
i've got corcrane secret and shapes... pretty underwhelmed by them to be honest... think they're a bit overrated... the music sounds like it hasn't aged that well... they always seem to be lumped together with unwound who i think are far superior

I like Polvo a lot more than Unwound's early stuff. I can't say I like Polvo more than something like Leaves Turn Inside You, but I've never been all that impressed with Repetition or The Future of What.

golden child 05.15.2006 03:19 PM

only heard todays active lifestyles, i have it on my computer.
its really great, id love to hear more by them

i saw some of their boots on slsk the other day but they were ginormous!