Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Top 10 albums of 2016 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114297)

noisereductions 12.23.2016 03:15 PM

Top 10 albums of 2016

we ready to do this?

Severian 12.23.2016 10:00 PM

Apparently I'm not, or I would have made this topic by now. Was kinda thinking today would be the day, but then I saw this. :(

What about you? You made the topic. Kinda seems like you should have a list to go with it.

d.sound 12.24.2016 11:28 AM

i've edited this list a few times, hence the numbers are a bit off.

1 m geddes gengras - interior architecture
2 fennesz & o'rourke - it's hard for me to say i'm sorry
3 kaitlyn aurelia smith - ears
4 patten - Ψ
5 deakin - sleep cycle
6 tim hecker - love streams
7 sean mccann - music for public ensemble
7 jan st werner - felder
8 qluster - Echtzeit
9 suzanne ciani - buchla concerts 1975
10 john chantler - which way to leave?
11 apex twin - cheetah
12 venetian snares - traditional synthesizer music
13 tyondai braxton - oranged out
14 matt carlson - view from nowhere
15 suzanne ciani & kaitlyn smith -sunergy
15 bracken - high passes
17 biosphere - departed glories
17 m geddes gengras - two variations
18 julianna barwick - will
19 pita - get in
21 jefre cantu-ledesma - in summer
21 v/vm - between nothingness and eternity
22 bat for lashes - the bride
23 battle trance - blade of love
24 lolina - live in paris
25 lonely island - popstar: never stop never stopping soundtrack

of course there are more things to check out before the year is up. i always go through tinymixtapes list. the new aphex twin ep is sweet but i've only listened to it once. sarah davachi's vergers might be good but i haven't had a chance to listen to it.

louder 12.24.2016 12:05 PM

1. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
2. Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night
3. Anderson .Paak - Malibu / NxWorries - Yes Lawd!
4. Solange - A Seat at the Table
5. KING - We Are KING
6. A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
7. David Bowie - Blackstar
8. Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
9. Common - Black America Again
10. Frank Ocean - Blonde

pepper_green 12.24.2016 03:26 PM

meh, you mean the top boring hip hop/pop and boring indie avant rock/electronic albums of 2016.

1. Tribe - Thanks, got it from here
2. Kendrick - Untitled

_
10. Kanye-Pablo aka. pottymouth boring shit talker about himself Adderall eating out of his mind middle aged man with some interesting samples Pablo.

are albums a thing anymore? if so, what a weak farewell it is.

dead_battery 12.24.2016 04:16 PM

is music even a thing anymore, all i hear is tinnitus and voices

pepper_green 12.24.2016 04:22 PM

hell if I know, I don't like answering questions when im asking questions myself.

though, by yr post I feel I should check if I have tinnitus. since I caught a hot air balloon full of sarcasm, I haven't cared about new music since..... do yr thing man, enjoy. I don't have time to get excited about records anymore. family, kids concern me much more. of course people make albums. I just like to come off as jaded but, that doesn't mean I don't find it all leftover tributes .

pepper_green 12.24.2016 04:39 PM

thing is, where's yr top of 2016 dead_battery? you could help out. everyone here is hip hop like expected then, there is d.sound with all the fluukey dookie obscure stuff. and that will be just about it. end of thread.

it all goes along with you not really talking about music on here. what do you like?

Kanye and political gossip is all anyone gets from this place anymore. talking about drawing lines.

Severian 12.24.2016 06:26 PM

Not sure it's done. There are a lot of albums I want to recognize, but very few that I played over and over and over. Anyway, the year was basically all Pablo, sonits really unfair to even pretend to list anything else except for Nicolas Jaar's SIRENS, which was strong enough to steal the attention from Kanye for a little while.

So as of now...
2. Nicolas Jaar - SIRENS
3. Kornél Kovács - The Bells
4. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
5. David Bowie - Blackstar
6. Thought Forms - Songs About Drowning
7. Holy Fuck - Congrats
8. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
9. ANOHNI - HOPELESSNESS
10. Kaytranada - 99.9%

pepper_green 12.24.2016 06:37 PM

boring. blah blah same old electronic/avant shit that's been done before.

Severian 12.24.2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
boring. blah blah same old electronic/avant shit that's been done before.

According to you, hip-hip, indie, rock, electronic and avant-garde music is ALL boring shit that's all been done before. Do you even recognize the linguistic contradiction that sentiment contains?

All you do is bitch like a whiny little pantywaist. At least in the past you peppered your shit talking with the occasional humorous WTF-ism, but now you're just a constant fucking naggy cunt. You don't even try to be friendly.

YOU are the most boring thing in this thread or on this board. Shut the fuck up.

pepper_green 12.24.2016 07:12 PM

no. im not going to argue with that. hot damn boy. again, it's like I've insulted you.

have fun with yr post internet music. my passive aggressive reply should tell you I don't give a damn.

fuck it boring all.

Severian 12.24.2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

no. im not going to argue with that. hot damn boy. again, it's like I've insulted you.

have fun with yr post internet music. my passive aggressive reply should tell you I don't give a damn.

fuck it boring all.

Ok great bye!

pepper_green 12.24.2016 08:09 PM

uh, bye. guess I see you later.dafuc?

Severian 12.24.2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
2. Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night
3. Anderson .Paak - Malibu / NxWorries - Yes Lawd!
4. Solange - A Seat at the Table
5. KING - We Are KING
6. A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
7. David Bowie - Blackstar
8. Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
9. Common - Black America Again
10. Frank Ocean - Blonde

Nice. I still haven't really listened to King at all.

d.sound 12.24.2016 11:58 PM

Quote:

post internet music

what the fuck does this even mean? you don't have the enthusiasm and love for music to actually seek it out? this has been the best year for new music since 2011. there has been plenty of bad shit, but you toss it aside and try something else. i find lots of records i love because i love music. enough to try new things. there were a couple years where i was severely depressed that i only listened to like 5 albums the whole year. maybe that's what's up? are you depressed? my love of music is what brought me to a sonic youth board, a board for sharing the love of music. (i thought?)

that said, what's up with sonic youth fans only listening to kanye west albums and other mainstream hip hop? that's like the farthest thing from sonic youth. at least to me it seemed like rock and roll hit a peak in the late 90s and has been pure shit ever since. i'm pretty sure rock and roll has died. so i guess the alternative is mainstream hip hop?

i would think people who are open minded enough to enjoy sonic youth so much they join a message board for them would be more adventurous in their taste in music. i mean when i got into sy when washing machine came out, the only way to find new music in a rural area was mtv and magazines. with the internet i've found so much different music than i ever thought i could. i don't see how that's a bad thing at all. more music. always more music.

d.sound 12.24.2016 11:58 PM

oh noes i doubly posted

Severian 12.25.2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound
what the fuck does this even mean? you don't have the enthusiasm and love for music to actually seek it out? this has been the best year for new music since 2011. there has been plenty of bad shit, but you toss it aside and try something else. i find lots of records i love because i love music. enough to try new things. there were a couple years where i was severely depressed that i only listened to like 5 albums the whole year. maybe that's what's up? are you depressed? my love of music is what brought me to a sonic youth board, a board for sharing the love of music. (i thought?)

Agreed.

Quote:

that said, what's up with sonic youth fans only listening to kanye west albums and other mainstream hip hop? that's like the farthest thing from sonic youth. at least to me it seemed like rock and roll hit a peak in the late 90s and has been pure shit ever since. i'm pretty sure rock and roll has died. so i guess the alternative is mainstream hip hop?

i would think people who are open minded enough to enjoy sonic youth so much they join a message board for them would be more adventurous in their taste in music. i mean when i got into sy when washing machine came out, the only way to find new music in a rural area was mtv and magazines. with the internet i've found so much different music than i ever thought i could. i don't see how that's a bad thing at all. more music. always more music.

Disagree.
First of all, Kanye may be a major figure in hip hop, but his music is anything but "mainstream" on a sonic level. You talk about it like Kanye is the same as whoever the fuck has a radio hit this month. Not so. He's one of the most adventurous musicians around.

Also, I don't think my list has any mainstream hip-hop on it unless you want to count Tribe. But so what if it did? Good music is good music, mainstream or not.

These are some of the records I'd include if I had more than 10 spots:

Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Jessy Lanza - Oh No
DJ Earl - Open Your Eyes
G.L.O.S.S. - Trans Day of Revenge
Aphex Twin - CHEETAH EP
DJ Koze Presents - Pampa Vol. 1
Autechre - Elseq 1-5
Swans - The Glowing Man
Pantha Du Prince - The Triad
Patten - Ψ
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker
Bonnie "Prince" Billy & Bitchin Bajas - Epic Jammers and Fortunate Little Ditties
The Body - No One Deserves Happiness
Not Waving - Animals
Christian Fennesz & Jim O'Rourke - It's Hard For Me to Say I'm Sorry
PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
Babyfather - "BBF" Hosted by DJ Escrow
Big Ups - Before a Million Universes
Glenn Jones - Fleeting

All great records, but I just don't have the time to sort them out in order.

Severian 12.25.2016 12:40 AM

You're coming off a little high and mighty man. I've heard all but a couple of the albums on your list, and honestly it's probably less diverse than mine. Yes I enjoy hip-hop (even *gasp* mainstream type stuff!!!) but I keep my ears open and have a vested interest in any and all genres and styles of music that interests me.

Tell me again more how I'm not musically adventurous though. Fascinating stuff.

Yeah, Kanye held my attention more than anyone else this year, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to a lot of different music. Also, like, 80% of the conversation in Non-Sonic Sounds takes place in the hip hop thread, so ... do something about that. Get people talking about other music.

God knows I'd love an electronic/ambient thread, but whenever I bring up that stuff (which I listen to far more than hip-hop) nobody gives a shit, or people insult me for listening to bleeps and bloops.

louder 12.25.2016 01:06 AM

Shit, if I wasn't adventerous in my music taste I'd still be stuck listening to the same old Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead, Pavement, MBV etc albums every day.

Tribe is alternative hip-hop. Kanye and maybe Frank are the only "mainstream" artists in my list but even they made some weird and polarizing records.

Those who frequent the hip hop thread will be able to testify on how it took me 8 months to come around to the Kanye album, one that initially sounded to me like everything I hate about music, but ended up making me cry.

I think of myself as a very open minded guy, and out of sheer curiousity I actually streamed some tracks off a few albums d.sound listed, before he even made that post. Not my cup of tea but I can respect his knowledge and passion.

I listen to a whole fucking lot of R&B, funk and soul music, so writing it all off as "mainstream hip hop" is silly and makes no sense. By the way I could've listed maybe 50 albums, I just decided to pick the ones that matter to me the most.

I really appreciate criticism, but d.sound's just came off as lazy. ;)