Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My Own Private Idaho... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9518)

afterthefact 01.02.2007 10:45 AM

My Own Private Idaho...

...sucks.

jon boy 01.02.2007 10:48 AM

how exactly?

i really liked it. amazing imagery and great storyline. one of van sants best along with drugstore cowboy.

afterthefact 01.02.2007 11:04 AM

Drugstore Cowboy was great, along with most of his other stuff. But MOPI was so bloody boring, and most of the dialogue sounded extremely forced and unnatural. I felt nothing through the whole thing, and could have turned it off at any point and not wondered what happened through the rest of the film.

jon boy 01.02.2007 11:07 AM

maybe you should have.

ALIEN ANAL 01.02.2007 11:13 AM

you know whats fucked up
Beauty and the beast. its fucked up that he turns into a babe in the end. it just blows the moral up
fucken stupid good looking people

afterthefact 01.02.2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
you know whats fucked up
Beauty and the beast. its fucked up that he turns into a babe in the end. it just blows the moral up
fucken stupid good looking people

I agree. I mean, I guess she did fall in love with him as a beast, but still, the true happy ending of the movie was that he didn't have to be ugly anymore. Personally, I would want to stay as the beast. I mean, if you already have the girl, who cares if you look good anyway, and then you get to be a cool beast also.

afterthefact 01.02.2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
maybe you should have.

The only reason I didn't had nothing to do with interest in the plot, but instead the fact that a friend recommended it, and I needed to see the whole thing so I could tell him it was crap. If I only saw half of it, my argument wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

ALIEN ANAL 01.02.2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I agree. I mean, I guess she did fall in love with him as a beast, but still, the true happy ending of the movie was that he didn't have to be ugly anymore. Personally, I would want to stay as the beast. I mean, if you already have the girl, who cares if you look good anyway, and then you get to be a cool beast also.

Yeh, i really think he should of stayed as a beast. Its what she fell in love with, it really wasnt needed that he turn into a hunky model. He learnt to accept what he looked like and she learnt that its whats on the inside that counts. I bet in beautys head at the end she said "thank fuck for that"

!@#$%! 01.02.2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

...sucks.

what? i've always thought it was quite good.

maybe you just got paranoid that your friend is trying to send you invisible signals that he wants to kiss you? :D

afterthefact 01.02.2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what? i've always thought it was quite good.

maybe you just got paranoid that your friend is trying to send you invisible signals that he wants to kiss you? :D

haha, no, he is about at hetro as they come, although the thought crossed my mind when I started watching it :)

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.02.2007 03:36 PM

I've got a feeling people in Idaho are feeling quite good today. Private or not...

pulsar 01.02.2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

...sucks.

o rly?

afterthefact 01.02.2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
That's Keanu's fault. Worst actor ever.

I totally agree. Still though, it is possible for an actor to ruin a movie, especially when -in my opinion- the story isn't that interesting in the first place.

pulsar 01.02.2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

I totally agree. Still though, it is possible for an actor to ruin a movie, especially when -in my opinion- the story isn't that interesting in the first place.

*door rings

Bigchested Blonde: "Hello?"
Bearded Dude: "I came to repair your refridgerator"
Bigchested Blonde: "But it's running"

*bearded dude enters room
*bigchested girl lifts shirt
*sexual interaction starts

Now that's a movie!

!@#$%! 01.02.2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

well, no. tom cruise is the worst actor ever. keanu's range is limited and he's often miscast-- as a british XIX-century "doood" in "dracula"? preposterous! however, he was born to play bill, from bill & ted's excellent adventure, yes? in fact i do believe him to BE bill. but anyway, he was ok in my own private idaho, he was ok in johnny mnemonic, he was adequate in constantine as well. in the matrix, well, he sucked big, but the whole "trilogy" sucked diseased anus... the 1st one was ok though.

afterthefact 01.02.2007 05:20 PM

no, worst actor ever is (drum roll, please):

Paul Walker!

!@#$%! 01.02.2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

no, worst actor ever is (drum roll, please):

Paul Walker!

who the fuck is that? never heard of it.

atari 2600 01.02.2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

...and most of the dialogue sounded extremely forced and unnatural...

The dialogue is based on Shakespeare's Henry IV.
Drugstore Cowboy is definitely Van Sant's best. It's in my top 30-40 or so.
My Own Private Idaho probably is his second best movie, but that's by virtue of Phoenix and of his others being just that bad. Elephant is good too though, I suppose.
Van Sant has been a big disappointment.

Quote:

Drugstore Cowboy is one of my fav movies. I love it.

He was great as a kid when he was in River's Edge. I agree with the general consensus though that pretty much all of his other roles Keanu has done haven't been too good and that he gives new meaning to turning in a wooden/emotionally dead performance.

Norma J 01.02.2007 09:11 PM

^^ Hey! Point Break was great.

atari 2600 01.02.2007 09:15 PM

It's a good action movie. A young Keanu is better in that one that most of his others. I just about mentioned it, but since Swayze is even good in that, I thought better of it for that reason.

That was a movie where both of those horrible actors had a character that they could each play convincingly.