Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mulholland II (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39399)

nicfit 04.13.2010 04:45 AM

Mulholland II

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/w0002321.html

:eek:

TheFoxBen 04.13.2010 04:48 AM

worst idea ever.

atsonicpark 04.13.2010 05:09 AM

Well, it was originally going to be a television series anyway, so I could see how this would work.

Personally, I don't think it could be any worse than Inland Empire. I just wish he'd do something, y'know, DIFFERENT.. Inland, Mulholland, and Drive all felt like different versions of the same film.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.13.2010 05:25 AM

Make It 3-d!!!

noisereductions 04.13.2010 07:09 AM

I have the TV Pilot.

atsonicpark 04.13.2010 07:12 AM

Me 2.

noisereductions 04.13.2010 07:34 AM

it's not much different from the first half of the film really. But it's neat anyway.

DanielCarlson 04.13.2010 10:27 AM

While I can't say that I like the idea, as long as Lynch writes/directs it I think it'll turn out okay. I don't think he'd do a sequel just for the sake of it if he hasn't got any good ideas. Which I guess he have, since he wanted it to be a TV series.

noisereductions 04.13.2010 10:29 AM

a while back (like maybe 7 or 8 yrs ago) there was some talk about him and Mark Snow doing a Twin Peaks prequel. That could have been amazing.

cagedbird 04.13.2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Well, it was originally going to be a television series anyway, so I could see how this would work.

Personally, I don't think it could be any worse than Inland Empire. I just wish he'd do something, y'know, DIFFERENT.. Inland, Mulholland, and Drive all felt like different versions of the same film.

Are you kidding around? What is Mulholland and/or Drive? Sorry, I have a special place in my heart for post-9/11 film. And postmodernists.

jon boy 04.13.2010 08:11 PM

yes please and lynch 3d would be better than, well lets just say its really fucking good.

noisereductions 04.13.2010 08:12 PM

Inland Empire was really good. BUt yeah, he needs to do switch it up. Mulholland was already perfection...

automatic bzooty 04.13.2010 08:38 PM

make it 4d

noisereductions 04.13.2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
make it 4d

hey YOU"RE still here. Cool.

atsonicpark 04.13.2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
Are you kidding around? What is Mulholland and/or Drive? Sorry, I have a special place in my heart for post-9/11 film. And postmodernists.

I meant Highway.. (hah, even the titles are similiar!)

I've seen everything Lynch has done 500 times, I'm a pretty big fan of his, all his stuff lately has been extremely similar. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that all his latest films have followed the same pattern... double identities (or in Inland, um.. 5 or 6 identities), dream logic, non-sequential storytelling, plots that involve Hollywood and filmmaking in general (moreso the last two than in Highway). These are more than just "Themes", these are different versions of the same film. Strangely, one of his best movies, The Straight Story, none of his fans give a shit about!

Inland Empire, I've watched that one 6 times. I think it's actually sorta terrible, but it also sticks with me, and has intrigued me enough to keep watching it. But yeah, definitely his worst movie. I think Eraserhead, pretty obviously, is his best, though I also have a special place in my heart for Fire Walk With Me.

automatic bzooty 04.13.2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
hey YOU"RE still here. Cool.

yeah! ... wait, i was gone?

anyway scratch that i think lynch is capable of a minimum of 6d

floatingslowly 04.13.2010 10:16 PM

my sis teaches science up that way. I'll ask her of she'd like another way to work.

GeneticKiss 04.13.2010 11:13 PM

David Lynch must need money..."Hmm, how to pay for that new BMW...I know, I'll make a sequel to my most successful movie since Blue Velvet!"

Seriously, where else is there to go? The main character and entire point of Mulholland Drive blew her brains out at the end. She's DEAD. And if the hitman she hired to kill her lover did the job right (which is debatable if he's really anything like how he was in her dream), she's dead too.

The only thing left really open is how the weird guy behind the Winkie's figured into the story, beyond being a part of the one guy's nightmare (a clue to the fact that it was a dream).

atsonicpark 04.13.2010 11:51 PM

Actually, his most successful movie since Blue Velvet was Straight Story, I think.

But I think it has to do with Mulholland recently being called the best film of the decade by tons of top critics (who hadn't seen many movies, I'm guessing).

davenotdead 04.14.2010 12:05 AM

whoa.... i'm kind of intrigued at the thought of seeing what david lynch can do with a sequel.