Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Italy shows? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26673)

neptuneg 10.11.2008 11:57 PM

Italy shows?

Hey guys,

Did anyone here go to these? How were they? Did the yoof play anymore new songs?

stadtgorilla 10.12.2008 03:00 AM

no time

need to go to sleep now. been at the show in bolzano last night. a blast. and they played 2 new songs. one was called 'no way' and was pretty straightforward, melodic, rather ripped-stylee, sung by thurston. the other one was more dissonant and ddn-like. kim sang it. both very cool. most of the rest rather ripped/ddn. 100%. shaking hell. burning spear as an opener. i'll post more when i'm better, only slept 4 hours and drove to munich from there.

skipvacuum 10.12.2008 04:00 AM

get some sleep..thanks for reporting..i was starting to think noone here went

mil_pl 10.12.2008 04:02 AM

they played new songs ?

pao-lino 10.12.2008 05:28 AM

hi everybody
Bolzano/Bozen... what an amazing show... 1.45h circa of energy and sensuality.
They were in great shape, especially lee I was right in front of him and he was POWERFUL.
And so was everybody else.
The location was very nice, in this factory in the industrial zone of Bozen, right outside the autobahn exit. This huge hangar full of machines and offices and, in the garden, an oktoberfest like atmosphere with bier and Bratwurst... Cos Bozen is in Italy, but is Sud-tirol, very similar to austria and most of the people speak german... But there were people from austria too, though noone seemed sad for Haider's death.
This nice set was perfect for the opening group (jokklo...)... It's psychedelic free jazz with voice and effects. its a 3 people band and two of them, David and Virginia, are are nice loving couple from my same hometown, Este! they're nice now. I remember years ago, when I was 14 and they were 2 or 3 years older and they very cool, very "particular" for my small town reality.
They played 3 jam sessions, it was nice. As usual, Sonic youth chooses nice supporters.

Then sonic youth:

burning spear
the sprawl
Cross the breeze
Incinerate
Reena
Eric's trip
Schizophrenia
Jams run free
Pink steam
Hyperstation
the wonder
Skip tracer
----
No way
mars
100%
----
SHAKING HELL

an amazing show. sonic youth never disappoints, as usual. The price was good, they played 1.45h, in the end we all were exhausted.
Lee was in great shape I was right in front of him, he was powerful.
the new songs... Don't know, no way sounds like a Thurston solo song, and in kim's mars the audio was not good so cant say if appreciated it or not, but I remember in one of the two there's a nice drumline, steve is really a percussion engineer, he perfectly underlines all the songs. When the drums started schizophrenia I was very emotional.
What to say? sounds like the new album will be a rather ripped 2, and next tour, as habit, they'll play most of their new songs...
but last night they've been very generous, probably also in occasion of sensational fix exhibition, playing all those oldies.
Shaking hell was amazing. In that one there was no Mark Ibold, and, honestly, but probably of Thurston's bass, the sound was much cleaner, drier. But there is kim messing a little all up with bass... she's now wearing tutor gloves fir her tendinitis (?), but she's wonderful.
Let's not talk about kim's beauty, but about the way she moves (as in jams run free, like she says and does). All her attitude was at the aphex in the second encore, in shaking hell, with that glenn branca like intro and those erotic tension, hormones are in her brain not in the ovary. And thurston is still a sacred dinosaur.
what to say? wonderful.

mil_pl 10.12.2008 05:32 AM

^ thanks for the review pao-lino!

greedrex 10.12.2008 05:33 AM

thx for the report doood

stu666 10.12.2008 05:42 AM

thanks pao-lino :)

neptuneg 10.12.2008 02:05 PM

I didn't get a Rather Ripped 2 impression from the new songs. No Way sounds sort of like a Dirty 2008 as someone pointed out, and Mars kind of reminds me of ATL

mil_pl 10.12.2008 04:22 PM

no way is brilliant, this guitar line, and catchy lyrics.

whole day in my head.

cuz it's no way, hey hey hey.

Derek 10.12.2008 06:08 PM

They played Skip Tracer? holy fuck

blunderbuss 10.13.2008 05:06 AM

A question for those that were there:

During Eric's Trip, I thought that Lee changed the lyric:

This is Eric's trip
We've all come to watch him slip
He's slipping all the way to Texas
Can you dig it?

To:

This is Eric's trip
From Bolzano all the way to Texas
Can you dig it?

Did he do that, or was it my imagination? And he did do it, does he always do that sort of thing when he sings the song live?

Grete 10.13.2008 05:09 AM

oh I don't remember...
in anyway great show, even if between the audience there were some idiots...
I realli enjoied meeting you Blunderbuss, Nicfit and friends!!
thank you ;)
me and Lee
ahhhh geezus I met Lee in Museion and the Steve at the end of the concert!!!!

nicfit 10.13.2008 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
A question for those that were there:

During Eric's Trip, I thought that Lee changed the lyric:

This is Eric's trip
Can you dig it?

To:

This is Eric's trip
From Bolzano all the way to Texas
Can you dig it?

Did he do that, or was it my imagination? And he did do it, does he always do that sort of thing when he sings the song live?

He goes:
"This is Eric's trip
and (or is it "in"?not 100% sure) Bolzano!"

guitar7080 10.13.2008 06:52 AM

Cool picture w/ Lee. Any others?

Grete 10.13.2008 08:37 AM

max 10.13.2008 08:41 AM

hey Grete! :D gran foto... :P

Grete 10.13.2008 08:44 AM

che momenti....

guitar7080 10.13.2008 08:44 AM

Again, the pictures or awesome. Wish I was in Italy. Minnesota is just all gray and rainy now. I would like to drink some coffee in Italy, outside at a cafe.

Grete 10.13.2008 08:52 AM

thanks to the great photographer Nicola!!! :D