Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pop and Noise (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21735)

✌➬ 05.08.2008 01:12 AM

Pop and Noise

I don't think I can differentiate the two. Every time I listen to Sy I can see their pop melodies, especially their 90's output. This is also with other noise artist or those along the same lines. Magik Markers, Bardo Pond, Arab on Radar etc.

Every time I listen to pop albums, be Madonna or Britney Spears I find it that they could be the most noise artist than any one that claims to be a noise artist. I also think that pop and noise can be intertwined, as it has been with the Raveonettes, Jesus and Mary Chain, Late SY.

Are any of you in the same situation?

batreleaser 05.08.2008 01:17 AM

none of those bands you mentioned are pure noise, arab on radar is noise rock/punk, magik markers noise rock, bardo pond is psych rock with feedback and distortion but in no way "noise".

merzbow, violent onsen geisha, masonna, aube, aaron dilloway, daniel menche, panicsville, incapacitiants, and a shit load of others have nothing to do with noise.

i do love though when artists can make pop songs using elements of noise like sonic youth, deerhoof, early flaming lips, thinking fellers union local 282, butthole surfers, shit like that.

jonathan 05.08.2008 02:59 AM

I've never heard anything more abrasive than Masonna. If you would please enlighten me on how Masonna is not noise, I'd really appreciate it.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.08.2008 03:09 AM

Madonna is noisy 'cause her music is unlistenable.

ZEROpumpkins 05.08.2008 03:11 AM

Surely this thread is a joke.

sarramkrop 05.08.2008 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
I don't think I can differentiate the two. Every time I listen to Sy I can see their pop melodies, especially their 90's output. This is also with other noise artist or those along the same lines. Magik Markers, Bardo Pond, Arab on Radar etc.

Every time I listen to pop albums, be Madonna or Britney Spears I find it that they could be the most noise artist than any one that claims to be a noise artist. I also think that pop and noise can be intertwined, as it has been with the Raveonettes, Jesus and Mary Chain, Late SY.

I'm not sure of what you mean.

Is it the fact that, say, Madonna or Britney might tackle subjects on their songs that you then find on the music of your Jesus and Mary Chain etc but without the pop glee that you're after?

ZEROpumpkins 05.08.2008 03:59 AM

Perhaps he's implying that Spears' music is so horrible that it sounds like noise, whereas SY are considered noise buy sound lovely.

sarramkrop 05.08.2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Perhaps he's implying that Spears' music is so horrible that it sounds like noise, whereas SY are considered noise buy sound lovely.

I like Britney Spears, the last album being her ultimate triumph. She's pop not noise.

atsonicpark 05.08.2008 07:22 AM

No. This just sounds like an expanded version of that classic Merzbow quote. Of the bands you mentioned, Magik Markers don't know what a melody or a hook or even structure is, usually ("Boss" barely counts because it has a bit of structure on a few songs and Body Rot has an awesome riff -- played by Lee, of course). So, I don't know how you can hear hooks or melodies in their music. The other bands you mentioned at least have constant riffs and stuff.

I don't really understand this thread.

Anyway, the best mix of noise and pop is probably Swirlies "Blonder Tongue Audio Baton".

Everyneurotic 05.08.2008 10:38 AM

*belch*

batreleaser 05.08.2008 11:01 AM

i fucked up, i meant to say have nothing to do with pop*

sarramkrop 05.08.2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i fucked up, i meant to say have nothing to do with pop*

Are you aware of what you've written, EH? You do know that now it's too late and you don't stand a chance anymore, EH? You should be ashamed of yourself, seriously.

Glice 05.08.2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬

Noise as a genre, no.

Noise as an adjective, yes. One definition of noise (the definition pursued/ developed by your Cages and your concréte types who laid the foundations for your Merzbows, Reeds, Whitehouses etc) suggests that 'noise' is anything which falls outside of 'conventional' notation. Most percussion is, on some level, noise. The hyper-production on pop records (following the tradition set by Sgt Peppers/ Pet Sounds) uses a lot of 'noises'. They're not often at the forefront of the mix, but they're definitely there. Incidentally to this post, I'd like to mention here that while I can't stand the Beatles as songwriters, their records do make fascinating studies for their production (the later stuff at least).

There's quite a common technique in 'sexy pop', commonly used by Prince/ Madonna/ Britney (but found all over 'popular' music in the 20th Century), whereby the vocals are either miked very close or without one of those vocal baffle things, whereby you get the sound of the closing of salivaed lips, or the rushed intake of breath. This is a noise. The plectrum attack on garage records, and the pop equivalent in the Kinks/ the Who, which is often cleaned out in 70s pop - that's a noise. Pick slides - noise. Feedback - noise.

'Noises' are all over popular music, but they're not often emphasised - except, perhaps, in early hip-hop.

Is that what you mean?

✌➬ 05.08.2008 01:27 PM

Sorry if I didn't worded correctly. What porky, and glice said.

batreleaser 05.08.2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Are you aware of what you've written, EH? You do know that now it's too late and you don't stand a chance anymore, EH? You should be ashamed of yourself, seriously.

dude, chill, i wrote that before i went to bed so i didnt have a chance to correct myself, obviously i know that masonna and merzbow have no relation to pop whatsoever.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.08.2008 01:33 PM

noise has a lack of polyphonic melody.

Glice 05.08.2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
noise has a lack of polyphonic melody.

So does the majority of pop. Let's find a point, ja?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.08.2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
So does the majority of pop. Let's find a point, ja?

but it's the melody and hooks of pop music that make people like it. all pop songs are polyphonic.

batreleaser 05.08.2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
but it's the melody and hooks of pop music that make people like it. all pop songs are polyphonic.

hes right

polyphony-a musical texture involving two or more simultaneously sounding lines; the lines are often often independent and and create counterpoint.

sounds like most pop to me.

sarramkrop 05.09.2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
hes right

polyphony-a musical texture involving two or more simultaneously sounding lines; the lines are often often independent and and create counterpoint.

sounds like most pop to me.

Wrong on many accounts.

I was succesfully teasing you earlier on in this thread.