Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Let's massacre a band volume 4- Animal Collective. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38185)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.18.2010 07:19 PM

Let's massacre a band volume 4- Animal Collective.

They fucking blow.

Skuj 02.18.2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
They fucking blow.

NO!

Really, I cannot understand the lack of love for BSS at this forum. But, to each their own.

I can't fucking wait till May! The 2005 s/t was fucking epic and brilliant says I.

Skuj 02.18.2010 10:49 PM

Oh jesus fucking christ, I'm obv very tired or something. I read AC as BSS. WTF? I'm so embarrassed.

But anyway......AC 2009 was fucking great.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.19.2010 01:28 AM

Merriweather Post Pavillion is the music equivalent of Star Wars Attack of the Clones.

Who is BSS?

SuperCreep 02.19.2010 01:49 AM

^broken social scene.

anyway, i like animal collective in general (and i really like stuff like "spirit..." and "feels" and panda bear solo), but they're basically a clusterfuck of plagiarisation of a lot of other shit. it's kinda baffling how people taut them as the most innovative shit ever. whatever, though. innovation isn't everything. more often than not, they're good at what they do.

hevusa 02.19.2010 02:25 AM

*REVERB* drugs *REVERB* drugs synth

atsonicpark 02.19.2010 02:34 AM

They've got some alright stuff, some of their solo stuff is not bad. For a popular band, they're not too bad. Some decent melodies. I find it interesting how popular they are, though, when you consider that about half their output is pretty much unlistenable (and I mean.. unlistenable to anybody, not singling out hipsters or music snobs). Just get more and more boring with every release. Ultimately, they're probably a good gateway drug band, as I can see them getting people into better music. They're not great, they're not even very good, and most of their material is shit. But they've got enough alright stuff to make me not completely hate them.

nowideau 02.19.2010 09:19 AM

Peace Bone is an amazing song, with a fucking great chorus (that octave leap!). Catchy and memorable in the best possible way.

Trasher02 02.19.2010 09:40 AM

Don't hate them but right now I'm not really that psyched about them either. I think they're the type of band you LOVE for about a month and completely forget about them afterwards. Good stuff, just not very memorable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I find it interesting how popular they are, though, when you consider that about half their output is pretty much unlistenable.

I like to think it's because their music is "cute" or something, which (to me) seems to be the latest music succes-formule. I mean, look at Vampire Weekend. Same shit, Shittier band.

Rob Instigator 02.19.2010 10:29 AM

HATE THEM and their boring wank so MUCH

automatic bzooty 02.19.2010 10:34 AM

here comes the indian is one of the worst albums i've ever listened to.

dionysusundone 02.19.2010 03:31 PM

The weird thing about this band for me is that I always hate their stuff at first, then when I go back to it a few months later realize I love it.

finding nobody 02.28.2010 12:19 AM

They blow as much as peanut butter and jelly
which does not blow. at all.

pbradley 02.28.2010 12:26 AM

Too similar to the Beach Bores.

HaydenAsche 02.28.2010 04:11 PM

Animal Collective puts out some amazing things. Some less so. But who gives a fuck? They make some super groovy shit.

TheMadcapLaughs 02.28.2010 04:44 PM

hate them

dazedcola 02.28.2010 05:54 PM

I really enjoyed sung tongs with its warmth in the acoustic tracks and theyre spectacular sense of harmonies but i hate that new merriweather one. They go all electronic and use these shitty synths and keyboards from the 80s. What is it vogue now to think those cheesy 80s sounds were cool?

noisereductions 02.28.2010 06:02 PM

these are the worst fucking threads on this board. And I mean it. They're counter-intuitive to who we are as a forum. We used to be board that was open-minded and shared things. So why would we want to be a bunch of fucking snarky elistist douchebags that draw lines in the sands of what is cool and what bands the rest of us should be embarrassed to listen to? Unless y'all are planning to send yr resumes to Pitchfork, I suggest we bury these fucking Let's Massacre A Band threads and pretend they never happened. Who's with me?

pbradley 02.28.2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Unless y'all are planning to send yr resumes to Pitchfork

Wouldn't we need to love Animal Collective?

HaydenAsche 02.28.2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
these are the worst fucking threads on this board. And I mean it. They're counter-intuitive to who we are as a forum. We used to be board that was open-minded and shared things. So why would we want to be a bunch of fucking snarky elistist douchebags that draw lines in the sands of what is cool and what bands the rest of us should be embarrassed to listen to? Unless y'all are planning to send yr resumes to Pitchfork, I suggest we bury these fucking Let's Massacre A Band threads and pretend they never happened. Who's with me?

Amen, brother.