Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   the 3 remastered releases (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23)

sy2004 03.21.2006 10:35 AM

the 3 remastered releases

Just ordered Sonic Youth's eponymous record in the local store.

Not sure about the 2 other ones, namely Ciccone Youth & Thurston's solo album. I have the originals of both of these and the new version appears to have the same tracklist and a mid-price of 12.5€.
So I wonder what will be different about these last 2?

Quote:

...feature an updated mastering supervised by the band
What does is really mean?

Hip Priest 03.21.2006 10:39 AM

It should basically sound cleaner and fresh, and if it's been supervised by the band then itshould represent the sound that they hoped to achieve.

whorefrost 03.21.2006 10:39 AM

it basically means if you have the originals don't bother... they were reissued for widespread domestic consumption as they are somewhat rare...

fishmonkey 03.21.2006 10:47 AM

i've got Thurston's solo album, i'm gonna get the whitey album now cuz i could never get it, well lookin forward to it

Inhuman 03.21.2006 10:55 AM

I have yet to get The Whitey Album as well, I'll just order the 3 together once I get the chance. It's nice to see new SY stuff out every few months.

krastian 03.21.2006 02:45 PM

I only bought the EP.....It's great and dirt cheap.

DoubleNickels 03.21.2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sy2004

What does is really mean?

Mastering is basically (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) taking the songs after they'll done in the mixing stage, and making sure that all of the songs sound basically the same in 4 stages: A good pair of headphones, a bad pair of headphones, a good pair of speakers, a bad pair of speakers. The room is acoustically "tuned" so that no added bass or treble is put to the music.

Fox 03.21.2006 03:36 PM

The website of FNAC, a big disc seller here in France, notes that Ciccone Youth White(y) Album's is coming with bonus tracks, is it true ?

noisemachine 03.21.2006 04:47 PM

I picked up all 3 rereleases the day they came out and I've been loving them so much ever since. I keep wondering why Geffen didn't just reissue the EP when they reissued everything else...definitely a classic! And sounds very different than their other stuff.

As for the whitey album...I dont think it has bonus tracks, but I could be wrong.

IntoTheGroovey 03.22.2006 01:08 AM

The store I go to only had the EP in so I picked that up. Gunna get the other two tommorow.

It's nice that they're really F'in cheap.

sy2004 03.22.2006 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox
The website of FNAC, a big disc seller here in France, notes that Ciccone Youth White(y) Album's is coming with bonus tracks, is it true ?

No information about extra's can be found.

Richard Pryor on Fire 03.22.2006 04:12 AM

I have Psychic Hearts and but the copy of the first EP I have is bootlegged with the master dik single on it, plus the orginal songs played backwards, but I swore I saw something about the first EP having extra songs, if that is the case I'll get that and the whitey because I don't have the whitey.

doctor dan 03.22.2006 07:45 AM

cant wait to get the self titled. i ordered it on amazon,a nd it should be wingin its way to me impendingly soon. itll be the first itme ive heard half the tracks...anyone know how good the quality of the live tracks is?

toxic johnny 03.22.2006 07:50 AM

The live tracks sound great in a 'not recorded on very sophisticated equipment kinda way'... which is fine by me.
Sonic Death is one of my all time favourites of theirs.

Hip Priest 03.22.2006 08:22 AM

Still haven't seen any in the shops over here. Nor the FOur Guitars relese, which I really want to hear.

Isoflurane 03.22.2006 10:18 AM

Yo.
The thing that sucks is that for someone who already has those releases, I'd have to buy the whole thing over again in order to get the bonus tracks. If I come across a lot of money, I'll probably buy the vinyl versions, but until them, I'm not too concerned.

space cake 03.22.2006 10:35 AM

i picked up the ep last friday for $10, hah!
and its glorious and yea. but i do find myself listening mainly to the bonus stuff, for now.

Fox 03.22.2006 03:14 PM

Today I ordered EP and White(y) Album, I'll normally received them around the 31, I can't wait...

pantophobia 03.22.2006 10:18 PM

the ep sounds great,

cosmopolitan girl is the best live track on there

IntoTheGroovey 03.22.2006 10:23 PM

I found and bought Psychic Hearts & the Whitey Album today so now I have all three. Wohoo.