Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sport (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35064)

Keeping It Simple 10.03.2009 03:22 PM

Sport

Is there a reason why the beer drinkers fave thing to watch on TV is hardly mentioned on this board? :)

Savage Clone 10.03.2009 03:33 PM

There are many threads about the ridiculous and sub-moronic world of Spectator Team Sports all over this board.
I still come here anyway.

floatingslowly 10.03.2009 03:35 PM

I play murderball.

Savage Clone 10.03.2009 03:37 PM

When they finally bring back the Circus Maximus (it's only a matter of time), maybe then I'll tune in.

nicfit 10.03.2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I still come here anyway.

Hi!
Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I play with my meatballs.

Gross.

Keeping It Simple 10.03.2009 03:38 PM

Are Sonic Youth Mets or Yankees fans?

gualbert 10.03.2009 03:42 PM

I drink beer, and I watch almost anything on TV.

Keeping It Simple 10.03.2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
I drink beer, and I watch almost anything on TV.

Do you drink beer whilst watching "Murder, She Wrote"?

gualbert 10.03.2009 04:10 PM

No. What's that?
Is it any good?

phoenix 10.04.2009 07:35 AM

To be honest, the majority of people I've met who are sonic youth fans are not really into sports. A couple are, but for there to be sports threads here, they would need to be into sonic youth, sports, AND the internet. Which is quite a niche group....

so, that's probably why.

pbradley 10.04.2009 07:37 AM

Cricket gets some mentioning from time to time.

Soccer, I mean football, too.

wellcharge 10.04.2009 07:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

phoenix 10.04.2009 07:38 AM

and there is that 'motorsport' thread//...

phoenix 10.04.2009 07:38 AM

^^
I'm not sure what's in it though, I've never looked. :)

Glice 10.04.2009 07:48 AM

I tend to find that sport is something people do in the real world rather than on the internet. I do quite a bit of sport, and watch a fair bit as well, but... I just don't feel the need to talk about it. Especially as most indie kids are usually scared of a bit of exercise.

Drone: you're a cyclist. Categorically the most sanctimonious of all sporting people.

phoenix 10.04.2009 07:57 AM

I'm not scared of exercise, I went for a half hour run today. Just.. watching team sports. No.

so many other things I'd rather be doing.

Glice 10.04.2009 07:59 AM

Watching team sports is a different thing to partaking. But I honestly don't see how watching people competing at the top of their game is any different to watching someone be very good at playing an instrument. The latter isn't competitive (necessarily) but it's really not that different.

I've seen some of the best classical musicians in the world, but none of them amaze me in quite the way, say, Ntini does.

phoenix 10.04.2009 08:02 AM

I'm not sure I often go to watch people play instruments, I usually go to listen.

But when I go to watch/hear that, for me it is a very different experience because there is no competition involved. There is a high from it, probably the end result for people who go to see different things is the same. It just depends on what your body likes, no?

wellcharge 10.04.2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Watching team sports is a different thing to partaking. But I honestly don't see how watching people competing at the top of their game is any different to watching someone be very good at playing an instrument. The latter isn't competitive (necessarily) but it's really not that different.

i completely agree. people make it sound like watching athletes is for idiots but watching some guy play with with his fuzz pedal is the best possible thing to do.

if people like music then obviously they're going to watch it, i don't see the need to act like a very similar activity is moronic, admittedly if you go to bar and watch sports there will most certainly be a large amount of morons present

phoenix 10.04.2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
watching athletes is for idiots

if people like music then obviously they're going to watch it

:) heh