Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thoughts on Ann Coulter's stupidity regarding Soccer/Football (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=107210)

Rob Instigator 06.27.2014 11:12 AM

Thoughts on Ann Coulter's stupidity regarding Soccer/Football

fart

Rob Instigator 06.27.2014 11:12 AM

fart

EVOLghost 06.27.2014 11:35 AM

She really struck a nerve with that piece huh?

Simply ignorant.

Rob Instigator 06.27.2014 11:46 AM

I sent in a reply to it to Cracked.com's editors to see if they will post it.

Savage Clone 06.27.2014 01:30 PM

Being ignorant about sports is the least of her problems.
Plus sports can suck it, especially big money team sport spectator stadium bullshit.

LifeDistortion 06.27.2014 01:35 PM

Thoughts on Ann Coulter's stupidity regarding *fill in the blank with any topic*

demonrail666 06.27.2014 01:38 PM

Rob Instigator 06.27.2014 01:41 PM

One of her main points is that it is "foreign."

those damn foreigners and their contributions to our society

dead_battery 06.27.2014 02:55 PM

whatever these "sports" are, they should all be banned and their fans and participants arrested.

dead_battery 06.27.2014 03:30 PM

ann coulter is the greatest intellectual force of our times, a genius and an inspiration to all lesser minds. she will be remembered as the most fascinating and rigorous thinker of our era for her angry nonsensical opinions which she has for money.

!@#$%! 06.27.2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
big money team sport spectator stadium bullshit.

Hey! Not everyone can enjoy watersports like you do.

Some of us are just ordinary mortals.

dead_battery 06.27.2014 03:34 PM

someday i dream of turning to someone who asks me about sports and pretending ive never heard of them, which would be my revenge for every conversation where i bring up a book or film or something that noone else has ever heard of.

close down all the sports and execute all the sporters.

Savage Clone 06.27.2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Hey! Not everyone can enjoy watersports like you do.

Some of us are just ordinary mortals.

Fuck this shit for real. Fuck tax dollars supporting billionaires who can fund their own jock bullshit empires. And fuck people who fuel this garbage.

Savage Clone 06.27.2014 11:53 PM

Seriously. There was once a time when anyone remotely cool would never sympathize with shit Culture. Fuck you guys.

!@#$%! 06.28.2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
There was once a time when anyone remotely cool would never sympathize with shit Culture.

your fundamentalism is perplexing.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.28.2014 12:46 AM

_tunic_ 06.28.2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
those damn foreigners and their contributions to our society

keep poppin pimples 06.28.2014 04:39 PM

i don't think coulter is saying foreign things are bad per se. i think the idea is that 'liberals' are so 'unpatriotic' that they like anything as long as it's foreign which is the reason they choose to watch soccer over superior american sports

tw2113 06.28.2014 04:52 PM

heaven forbid some people prefer world football over something like american football.

!@#$%! 06.28.2014 05:27 PM

dead_battery 06.28.2014 05:50 PM

coulter is junk food for dumb amerinazis who cant cope with their place in the world. there's a conflict between being SPECIAL little american narcissists who are just great and then having the expectations of the rest of the world that you supposedly rule to live up to.

so she gives a little pressure release with this sneering at cartoons of weak liberals. noone calls her out for the lost war she cheerleaded cos its all liberals fault for losing it. even though thats bullshit.

she's like englands laurie penny who is another talentless media star only on the left and writing articles about how sports suck.

may china nuke us all.

demonrail666 06.28.2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery

she's like englands laurie penny

She reminds me more of David Starkey, not just politically. There's a shared wit there. Laurie Penny's just a humourless, overly earnest chain of slogans. Almost as excruciating as that Owen Jones.

Genteel Death 06.28.2014 08:15 PM

I'm ok with football as long as people stop associating it with creativity. It's a boring ass sport.

!@#$%! 06.28.2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I'm ok with football as long as people stop associating it with creativity. It's a boring ass sport.

Nefeli 06.29.2014 01:10 AM

i have no idea who this lady is.

didnt connect the telly, but i ll go to watch the game tonight with my parents. if only to do smth with them, other then go to eat or get food, or the other things that depress me, for a change.

what is surely annoying is the sexist 'jokes' that surface in social media, during soccer times. its a miracle i havent replied with fuck off to all of them.

foreverasskiss 06.29.2014 02:05 AM

not to seem like an angry drunk bitter suicidal turd like everyone thinks i am.

but

fuck this bitch!!!

real doe:rolleyes:

and its soccer not football!! goddamn it!!!! stop confusing me

Bertrand 06.29.2014 03:44 AM

Why do Americans call soccer a game where you kick the ball with your feet and football a game in which the ball is thrown by someone's hand and carried over a line in someone else's arms most of the time?

Nefeli 06.29.2014 03:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SKbVCOAt8E

Pookie 06.29.2014 05:45 AM

My thoughts?

She said it so that a bunch of humourless football fans would get all inarticulate with rage.

Mission accomplished.

!@#$%! 06.29.2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
i have no idea who this lady is.

didnt connect the telly, but i ll go to watch the game tonight with my parents. if only to do smth with them, other then go to eat or get food, or the other things that depress me, for a change.

what is surely annoying is the sexist 'jokes' that surface in social media, during soccer times. its a miracle i havent replied with fuck off to all of them.

hey, i'm sorry i won't be cheering for your country, but best wishes!

----------

speaking of nationalisms, etc., yesterday before brasil-chile they were showing the players waiting to enter the pitch, standing in 2 rows, in the tunnel looking all nervous.

and there's neymar with alexis (they both play at barcelona) and they are giving each other hugs, and neymar grabbed alexis's head most affectionally, almost like a girlfriend. it was quite moving.

better this than global war. i love the world cup.

Nefeli 06.30.2014 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Why do Americans call soccer a game where you kick the ball with your feet and football a game in which the ball is thrown by someone's hand and carried over a line in someone else's arms most of the time?

we have the same question about why people in the 2nd capital call certain foods (cheese pie and souvlaki) different names. it can be really confusing if you first order those. and you know food is important.

football is 'normally' called american football.
and 'soccer' just football.
as i reckon, football was first invented, but became popular in the USA after their 'football'. i think, sometimes they do kick it with the foot? not sure now.
there is also the other sport..hand-ball. invented much later i guess(?), took the right name though.

anyhoo. dunno why i typed all that known shit now.

Rob Instigator 06.30.2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
My thoughts?

She said it so that a bunch of humourless football fans would get all inarticulate with rage.

Mission accomplished.

thewiorst parts are not about football, but about the racism aimed at "new" american immigrants

Rob Instigator 06.30.2014 08:25 AM

"soccer" was a name created by the British, Association football as opposed to Rugby Football.

Rugby Football was tweaked by USA coal mining teams and then by college teams in the late 1800's and it became American Football.

!@#$%! 06.30.2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

thewiorst parts are not about football, but about the racism aimed at "new" american immigrants

that's not pookie's problem -- his grandfather was born in britain and he's not "foreign." he votes for the BNP!

Johnny "Magic Fingers" 06.30.2014 11:34 AM

Yawn... Why get upset over what some repetitious conservative is crapping on about?
You always know what yr gonna get with people like Ann Coulter..

This time she spews her ignorance about soccer (sorry, "futball" - el juego del mundo! :D ). Last time it woulda been about something else - but the agenda is always the same - cartoonish right-wing one upmanship over the left..

It's the same boring tune, only in a different key...

Of course she's offensive and hateful, but what're you gonna do?

Fuck her! (um.. as in 'ignore her' not engage in actual coitus)

Rob Instigator 06.30.2014 11:47 AM

she is not just a lone nut ranting. she very much speaks exactly what a LOT of the white folks in power in the USA feel and talk about within their own groups.

Pookie 06.30.2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that's not pookie's problem -- his grandfather was born in britain and he's not "foreign." he votes for the BNP!

My grandfather (and father) weren't born in Britain. But otherwise right.

demonrail666 06.30.2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

"soccer" was a name created by the British, Association football as opposed to Rugby Football.

Rugby Football was tweaked by USA coal mining teams and then by college teams in the late 1800's and it became American Football.

Exactly. I get so bored with the whole soccer/football debate. I've heard perfectly credible european players and managers call it both. Roy Hodgson tends to say 'soccer' more than he does 'football', and a popular English tv show is called Soccer AM. It seems that a lot of the resentment is just nit picking because it's the standard term used in the US. It's totally irrelevant and no more than snobbery on the part of those who try to make it an issue.

MellySingsDoom 06.30.2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
She reminds me more of David Starkey, not just politically. There's a shared wit there. Laurie Penny's just a humourless, overly earnest chain of slogans. Almost as excruciating as that Owen Jones.

There was a very long-running thread at the other place I frequent about Laurie Penny and her words of "wisdom" - pure uncut Facepalm, though I did laugh at the bits where she was caught out blatantly fabricating stuff.

I always had Coulter down as more of a golf fan, myself.

!@#$%! 06.30.2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
My grandfather (and father) weren't born in Britain. But otherwise right.

then you can't be truly british, per ann coulter's tirades.

you should read her rants, though mostly as a medical curiosity.