Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Love them or Hate them? The Smashing Pumpkins (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11565)

GrungeMonkey 03.22.2007 05:22 PM

Love them or Hate them? The Smashing Pumpkins

There seems to be quite a split opinion on the Pumpkins on these boards... I thought I'd see where the majority lies, out of interest and also because I like making polls. :)

screamingskull 03.22.2007 06:07 PM

Love them.

jakeonguitar 03.22.2007 06:18 PM

Indifferent. Some stuff is good, some stuff is bad.

fishmonkey 03.22.2007 06:18 PM

hate

luxinterior 03.22.2007 06:20 PM

They are one of those very popular groups that I've just never tried listening to. So who knows.

Toilet & Bowels 03.22.2007 07:17 PM

i don't care about them, i haven't heard their music in about 8 or 9 years, i can only vaguely remember what they were like.

Everyneurotic 03.22.2007 07:43 PM

i don't love them or hate them, i like them alright but they are not my favorite band or they have ever been.

!@#$%! 03.22.2007 08:27 PM

annoying, perhaps even laughable. hate? who has the time??

afterthefact 03.22.2007 09:52 PM

Yeah, we need more options. I don't LOVE them, and I know this because I know people who love them, and I'm not like them. But I don't hate them either. I thought they were good in their heyday, then they went way down hill, then Billy Corgan did even more disappointing stuff with Zwan and eventually far more disappointing stuff on his own, and now they are planning a comeback where I'm sure they will reach a new level of disappointment. But I still like listening to Siamese Dream.

Alex's Trip 03.22.2007 10:28 PM

I love them. They are one of the first bands that I listened too. I originally thought that they would be some heavy metal band or something (I guess their name was misleading to a 12 year old). So I wanted to listen to that to get away from the crap that my mom and sister listened to. I really owe them a lot, because if I hadn't originally began listening to them, I might not be here on the Sonic Youth board.

Sonic Youth 37 03.22.2007 10:49 PM

Love them.
I have no love for Melissa Auf Der Maur though.

Reasons:
James was the greatest.
Their heavy tone was great.
They were (in my opinion) one of the last "classic" rock bands, from the golden age of drugs and ego-driven lifestyle.
Billy Corgan is one of my guitar idols.
"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" was one of the first songs I actively debated.

StevOK 03.22.2007 11:18 PM

They're my third favorite band.

NEW ALBUM 7-7-07!!

EMMAh 03.22.2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeonguitar
Indifferent. Some stuff is good, some stuff is bad.

Agreed. I'm going to vote love though, cause I definitely don't hate them.

Pax Americana 03.22.2007 11:35 PM

Don't hate them. In fact, I like a lot of their stuff.

Billy Corgan is a douche bag though, and I'd be willing to bet this new 'reunion' album is gonna suck.

Cantankerous 03.22.2007 11:40 PM

i am not a fan. they did, however, have some super cool threads back in the day.

Cantankerous 03.23.2007 12:07 AM

do you mean stone temple pilots with that douchebag scott weiland or do you mean STP with julie cafritz?

SynthethicalY 03.23.2007 12:11 AM

What happened to the Eh? option.

fluxequalsrad 03.23.2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatherskite
They had some good hits, but what do you do with the rest of the album tracks? Toss 'em. Sorry, Billy, I hate SP. I don't think they're worse than STP, though.

Siamese Dream - Is a quintessential album that if held away from billy's big-bald ego, (his antics now are even worse), is an amazing album with top notch production and is a completely original perfect blend of shoegazey-prog-pop.

Even though I know most people here have heard the pumpkins and the majority of those people have also probably heard alot of album tracks too, just give the pumpkins a chance with the songs "Hummer" + "Rocket", both of them have incredible guitar playing, top notch fuzz, Billy's lyrics at his best (at best being uplifting, we're not talking Idioteque or anything obtuse)

Hummer- this song showcases everything the pumpkins can do in an epic two-parter. The guitar solo (3:09-3:36) is the best guitar solo ever and rolls right off perfectly into the climax of the song. After that the song drifts into an unbelievable quiet-drifty coda with another amazing but subtle guitar solo. (I hold this song up to the same level as Karenology or any other Sonic Epic.)

Rocket
- An unbelievable layering of an endless number of perfect guitar leads that all could have been the highlight of the song occurs at (3:22-3:35), on top of that this song is perfect pop and doesn't have any pretentious Billy Corgan crap but instead is as huge as he thinks his music is.

I really would like to hear any objective criticisms of these songs because they're just so fucking good.

Norma J 03.23.2007 01:39 AM

I don't have either of them emotions for the Smashing Pumpkins. But I do like them therefore I shall vote 'love'.

Green Magnesium 03.23.2007 01:41 AM

I wouldn't call them one of my favorite bands, but 'Rhinoceros' is probably one of my favorite songs.

If you take about half of the songs from each disc of the Mellon Collie album, you get one great full-length album.