Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what is your favorite album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11955)

iskandertime 06.14.2007 06:51 AM

Ah, you are correct! That's a good idea about the CD.. I have a cd singles collection by the band Slug that does the same thing..

fab_wave 06.15.2007 01:22 PM

The Velvet Underground & Nico
Daydream Nation
Sister

fuentes 06.15.2007 02:32 PM

Ataxia - Automatic Writing

zedius 08.13.2007 03:38 PM

My favorite is Nurse, for consistency. Fuck I love how everyone has such different opinions, but you all love them the same. Everyone loves a different album best because everyone is looking for something different out of sonic youth, and sonic youth delivers. It's really amazing.

I just got 1000 leaves, and I'm not that into it yet. But I know I will be because some of you love it so much, and so legitimately, and I just have to try to see it through your eyes :)

yumopal 08.14.2007 10:28 PM

this moment i want to choose evol
and my favorite... star power
lovethe drumming, vocal, guitar, lyrics
feel like dreaming

from syr1,2,3,4,6 what would you choose to recommand ? i'm looking forward to buy one

Cantankerous 08.14.2007 10:30 PM

daydream

SynthethicalY 08.14.2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumopal
this moment i want to choose evol
and my favorite... star power
lovethe drumming, vocal, guitar, lyrics
feel like dreaming

from syr1,2,3,4,6 what would you choose to recommand ? i'm looking forward to buy one

I have heard marvellous thing about syr4

Savage Clone 08.14.2007 10:33 PM

Bad Moon Rising

Neongod 08.17.2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumopal

Definitely start with SYR1 and go sequentially from there. Anagrama (the song) is brilliant.

Derek 08.17.2007 03:52 PM

DAYDREAM NATION

My favourite SY album and my favourite album ever.

lovesonicevol 08.17.2007 04:51 PM

Syr 1 and 2 are more structured jams with familiar sounds of mille feuille in the making. Syr 3 has Jim Orourke's hand in making 20, even 30 minute noise jams come true. XXth Century is a high water mark of that century's composers done sonicly. Syr 5 is Japanese sampling madness with kim singing on every song save the first. ok, maybe not singing but verbalizing. possibly my favorite behind...SYR 6: if you like Text of Light, this is the syr to get. 65 minutes split into three parts. Brakhage in the background. steve with all sorts of percussive tricks and everyone else doing what they do sonicly. I suggest buying them all...be brave and be rewarded. Get them on vinyl if you want the fancy wax.

BAD MOON RISING OR NYC G&F for my favorite sonic releases.

Phaniebangs 08.17.2007 10:19 PM

Just bought s/t debut EP, and im very impressed. Id herd it was crap, and lx compared to other early re;eases, and i guess it is a little less harsh on the ears, but still brilliant in a differnt way 'Idreamed..' is my fave song, kinda reminds me of Macbeth drom the whitey Album

terminal pharmacy 08.17.2007 10:44 PM

my favourite album at the moment is not a sonic youth one but still associated as it was produced by leel ranaldo - you am i - sound as ever

Dead-Air 08.18.2007 01:33 AM

Bad Moon Rising. Also my favorite Sonic Youth album.

andrei 08.18.2007 03:10 AM

Bad Moon / NYC Ghosts.

yumopal 08.18.2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
Syr 1 and 2 are more structured jams with familiar sounds of mille feuille in the making. Syr 3 has Jim Orourke's hand in making 20, even 30 minute noise jams come true. XXth Century is a high water mark of that century's composers done sonicly. Syr 5 is Japanese sampling madness with kim singing on every song save the first. ok, maybe not singing but verbalizing. possibly my favorite behind...SYR 6: if you like Text of Light, this is the syr to get. 65 minutes split into three parts. Brakhage in the background. steve with all sorts of percussive tricks and everyone else doing what they do sonicly. I suggest buying them all...be brave and be rewarded. Get them on vinyl if you want the fancy wax.

BAD MOON RISING OR NYC G&F for my favorite sonic releases.

thanks! and i also like tom violence announcement in your information

nomowish 11.02.2007 11:48 PM

Of the 5 albums I've bought more than once over the years, my favorite is EVOL. It's definitely one of my favorite albums of all-time. It has some of my favorite melodies.

The other four albums I like in this order:

2. A THOUSAND LEAVES
3. GOO
4. DAYDREAM NATION - I'm sure if I listened to this in my mom's car I'd love the hell out of it
5. MURRAY STREET

I must revisit - BAD MOON RISING, SONIC NURSE, & maybe SISTER, too

oh, and I have to check out the SYRs. I haven't heard a single one of them.

suez 11.03.2007 09:25 AM

anyone likes Sonic Youth? i think that's great.

clever name 11.04.2007 11:21 PM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers

To all those who think it's pretentious, irritating, mediocre, meandering, or whatever else... you may be right on all counts, but it's even better for all of those reasons!

I'm not in a really proper position to make this call of "best album" because SY albums are best appreciated at the time of their publishing, and I'm only a newbie. Nurse made the most sense when experienced amidst the indie-rock world of the early 2000's. Dirty works best when considered as an adaptation to the grunge aesthetic. I really enjoy the earliest records, but it's still hard for me recognize how extraordinary they were back in the 80's. I was 5 years old then.

sound_world 11.16.2007 03:14 AM

mine would have be,

1. Bad moon Rising
2. Dirty
3. Goo
4. Evol
5. Sister