Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43093)

Skuj 11.26.2010 09:44 PM

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Where's the thread on this magnificent release then?

noisereductions 11.26.2010 10:41 PM

I dont know. But I loved it from first listen. I think it's (almost) flawless.

Skuj 11.26.2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I dont know. But I loved it from first listen. I think it's (almost) flawless.

Track 6 could be SY, innit?

First spin I thought it was merely good. 4th spin I make this thread.

hevusa 11.26.2010 11:32 PM

love it!! best release of the year possibly???

noisereductions 11.27.2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
love it!! best release of the year possibly???

no. But I love it. It's in my top 10.

SpaceCadetHayden 11.27.2010 12:31 AM

The album was solid but it's not really my style, per se. Definitely made me stop asking 'why the fuck is everyone so hard about deerhunter'. I get the hype now.

hevusa 11.27.2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
no. But I love it. It's in my top 10.

(almost) flawless but not the best album of 2010??? interesting.

Skuj 11.27.2010 01:06 AM

I like it so much I got Cryptograms immediately. I was a Deerhunter virgin until this. ***Insert embarrassed emoticon here.***

The Earl Of Slander 11.27.2010 05:10 AM

This album is pretty amazing (especially Coronado), but Cryptograms is my real shit. Shockingly underrated record. Everything they've done is great, but that album is just on a whole other level for me. The way it develops perfectly from lush Kranky drone into just total widescreen indie pop across the record is done masterfully.

Derek 11.27.2010 06:42 AM

This isn't too great.

TheFoxBen 11.27.2010 07:11 AM

Perhaps my favorite album of the year so far.

Skuj 11.27.2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
This isn't too great.

Get the fuck off my thread you Halcyon Digest hatin' mutherfucker.

Kidding.

Derek 11.27.2010 12:19 PM

It sucks almost as much as Joanna Newsom.

(I like Joanna Newsom)

Skuj 11.27.2010 12:33 PM

Haha.....don't get me started on the Greatness That Is HOOM. SYG cannot handle the truth.

hevusa 11.27.2010 12:37 PM

Joanna Newsom is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Derek 11.27.2010 01:26 PM

You are like nails on a chalkboard to everyone here.

Bal 12.01.2010 07:57 AM

not this years best, but deffo a great album!

noisereductions 12.01.2010 08:24 AM

I've said this before but

Deerhunter is honestly one of my favorite younger bands. There's multiple reasons, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that b.cox gives a lot to fans. Like this past month we got 4 free albums of Atlas Sounds outtakes. So awesome. It keeps things fun and exicting and constant. I love that so much is put into the artwork and "liner notes" of these free releases.

anyway

Turn It Up is just ok as far as I'm concerned. It sounds like what it is, a band still looking for identity.

Cryptograms is amazing to me. I love that album. It reminds me of a very specific and optomistic time in my life. So there's an optomism in the ambience there -- intentional or associative. If I remember correctly, I called it my #1 album of 2007 on this very board.

Microcastle is brilliant pop. I love it. Think it was my #2 album of 2008.

Halcyon reminds me of the old girlgroups that spector produced. But creepier. I think it's great. Defiitely.

Skuj 12.01.2010 09:02 PM

I gave Cryptograms a couple of spins today, and although there are some very compelling instrumentals and song ideas, it just doesn't work as a cohesive album to me. Unlike Halcyon Digest. I think HD flows beautifully, with superb pacing and track organization.

Some tracks on HD are so...."normal".....Fountain Stairs is so simple, but Deerhunter have a way of putting a twist on songs. I love the short songs here....Deerhunter don't waste time. Say what needs to be said, then gtfo. They can ape other bands quite well too: Desire Lines is so Sonic Youth. Helicopter has something Pet Shop Boys about it. Basement Scene is almost Dream Dream Dream....Everly Bros.

The closer is so epic, on par with You Set The Scene. I adore that seamless morph into a different verse...the aching lyrics, shut your mouth, then....cut!

noisereductions 12.01.2010 09:20 PM

I figured "Basement Scene" WAS purposefully a ripoff of Everly? No?

Anyway HD rules. I love pretty much every moment. I still love Cryptograms though. Just makes sense in my head.