Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dinosaur Jr. - I'll make the trip when I'm more stable (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14414)

Rob Instigator 07.02.2007 02:17 PM

Dinosaur Jr. - I'll make the trip when I'm more stable

fuck I love this band. I wish Sonic Youth would tour a double bill with the Dinosaur opening up for them. I die everytime I see the Year Punk Broke and realize that european festival audiences were lucky enough to catch Dinosaur Jr before Sonic Youth. or Mudhoney or Nirvana. fuck that is great.

I wonder how the crowd members who did not like sonic youth put up with their skronk.

Glice 07.02.2007 02:22 PM

I think the general convention is to say they 'suck' to the person next to you. If, in turn, that person disagrees, he (and let's not fool ourselves, it's always a he) turns and says 'no way dude, they rock/rule'. If he agrees, he says 'yeah man, they really suck'.

THENEVERYONEFINALLYDIESTHEEND.

Pookie 07.02.2007 03:02 PM

I saw Dinosaur at Reading Festival, as seen in TYPB. They were shit.

screamingskull 07.02.2007 03:06 PM

ive seen them twice, they were great both times, but they don't deserve like 10 threads about them everyday on here.

Danny Himself 07.02.2007 03:08 PM

blah blah blah blah blah mascis blah blah blah

screamingskull 07.02.2007 03:08 PM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

king_buzzo 07.02.2007 03:09 PM

And I hardly go outside Let's take a little ride I don't know, man, you decide How'd you pin that one on me? Haven't even done it yet How can that be?!!!!!

nicfit 07.02.2007 03:14 PM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14395 this doesn't work :(

Pookie 07.02.2007 03:17 PM

But Dino bashing is such fun:o .

Rob Instigator 07.02.2007 03:43 PM

I have proven that you fuckers just want to bash on dino. if you were to actually READ my post you would have seen that I was talking about the great line-ups of the european fests detailed in YPB1991, and wondering about crowd reaction at these festivals. (I have never seen sonic youth play for festival type audience)

Pookie 07.02.2007 04:00 PM

I was at Reading festival in 1991, and if you look at the bands who played, it's clear just how much festivals have changed.

The line up on the main stage Friday:

Iggy Pop
Sonic Youth
Pop Will Eat Itself
Dinosaur Jr
Chapterhouse
Nirvana
Silverfish
Babes in Toyland
The Honeythieves

And SY were never a huge band by any means. Babes In Toyland were fantastic, Nirvana were a revelation (pre world wide fame remember), Silverfish were a great (virtually forgotten now?), the rest of the bands ranged from mediocre to shit.

The really odd thing is that when I watch TYPB, I remember Reading as being some great grungefest, but it was more an indiefest with a few good bands on that one day. Take a look at the pile of pants that was the Saturday line up:
James
Carter USM
The Fall
De La Soul
Blur
Teenage Fanclub
Flowered Up
The Fat Lady Sings
Kingmaker
Mercury Rev

And as for Sunday (Jesus wept!):
Sisters of Mercy
Neds Atomic Dustbin
The Godfathers
Gang Starr
Nitzer Ebb
Senseless Things
Kitchens of Distinction
Swervedriver
Screaming Target
The Family Cat

Everyneurotic 07.02.2007 04:06 PM

festivals suck.

you go to festivals to get wasted or to laugh at people, there's no way you can really enjoy music unless you are there to see one or two bands, tops.

GrungeMonkey 07.02.2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
festivals suck.

you go to festivals to get wasted or to laugh at people, there's no way you can really enjoy music unless you are there to see one or two bands, tops.

Yeah festivals are carp. A complete waste of money. How many bands can you see (and I mean actually SEE) for the price of a festival ticket?

A lot. Lots and many lots indeed.

Rob Instigator 07.02.2007 05:01 PM

older music festivals (monsters of rock original lollapalooza, original donnington etc) all had consecutive acts, so you DID see all acts back to back. The newer wave of fests has three stages, and several side stages, and it is a fucking JOKE.

cater to everyone ad you please noone.

ZEROpumpkins 07.02.2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
fuck I love this band. I wish Sonic Youth would tour a double bill with the Dinosaur opening up for them. I die everytime I see the Year Punk Broke and realize that european festival audiences were lucky enough to catch Dinosaur Jr before Sonic Youth. or Mudhoney or Nirvana. fuck that is great.

I wonder how the crowd members who did not like sonic youth put up with their skronk.

There are people that hate Sonic Youth? I've never met anyone, online or offline, who hates them.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.03.2007 02:36 AM

yesss