Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

greenlight 01.14.2017 04:45 PM

today i have spent lots of money on vinyl again

Glenn Branca / Lesson 1
Steve Reich / Berkley University Museum 1970
Rhys Chatham / Harmonie Du Soir
Jim O Rourke / Simple Songs
Jeff Mills / Alpha Centauri
Elizabeth Dixon / ?
Oto Hiax / s/t
Vincente Bianchi's Orchestra / Music Of Peru
VA (Editions Mego) / Charles Clapaud / Janez Maticic / Servio Tulio Marin / Eugeniusz Rudnik
Rolf Julius / Lullaby For The Fishes
Skudge / Ballancing Point
Kompakt Total 16 compilation
Kassel Jaeger / Stephan Mathieu / Akira Rabelais - Zauberberb
Virile Games / Wounded Laurel
Silent Servant / Negative Fascination
The Caretaker / Everywhere At The End Of The Time
Kevin Drum / Kitchen
Dark Pool / Black Rain
Vatican Shadow / Media In The Service Of Terror
Simon Fisher Turner / Giraffe
Andy Kaufman / Andy And His Grandmother

Severian 01.27.2017 05:53 PM

Actually I finally bought the remastered version of 20 Jazz Funk Greats with the bonus disc after a recent discussion in one of these threads reminded me that In still didn't have it. Good old Throbbing Gristle man.

Then I bought the new Emptyset today, Border. Haven't had a listen yet, but soon. Soon.

The Soup Nazi 02.08.2017 06:53 PM

Not my pics though. My hand is prettier.

betweenthebars 02.11.2017 07:15 PM

Afghan Whigs - Black Love (20th Anniversary Edition)
Guided By Voices - Cool Planet
Wilco - Schmilco

Severian 02.11.2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betweenthebars
Afghan Whigs - Black Love (20th Anniversary Edition)

Oooh! Cool! I forgot about this one.

pony 02.21.2017 12:31 PM

The Soup Nazi 02.21.2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony

I dunno what else is in your collection, but these could be the most extraordinary purchases you've ever made. :)

pony 02.22.2017 12:06 PM

Almost nothing's in my collection anymore, my apartment got flooded last summer and 90% of my stuff ended ruined in shit water.

Call The Doctor is a repurchase, many things I will post here in the future will be.

Severian 02.22.2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Almost nothing's in my collection anymore, my apartment got flooded last summer and 90% of my stuff ended ruined in shit water.

Call The Doctor is a repurchase, many things I will post here in the future will be.

That's fucking awful. I'm sorry to hear it.

I lost my collection about 12 years ago. Most of it anyway. Almost all the tapes, CD's and vinyl I'd collected over the first 20-something years of my life gone. Luckily I kept my "best of the best" collection separate, as that's all I was able to keep. I'm still playing catch-up, still re-buying albums.

I also lost my entire SY collection once in a separate incident. That stung.

The Soup Nazi 02.22.2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Oh man, that's HORRIBLE. Just this morning I accidentally spilled some Coca-Cola on a couple of magazines and I went apeshit. If I lost a portion of my music collection like you did I would SHOOT myself in the HEAD.

Bytor Peltor 02.22.2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, Pony......curious about the album you miss the most?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I would SHOOT myself in the HEAD.

Are You Sure About That (scroll down for video with sound)

The Soup Nazi 02.22.2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Are You Sure About That (scroll down for video with sound)

Christ on a STICK... :eek::(:mad: Well, I'd be dead, so it's not like I would be able to care about the mess...

Bytor Peltor 02.22.2017 07:25 PM

Some recent purchases that I've been enjoying:

Dull Knife - Dull Knife

Rest - LA Lungs

Tile III - Luciernaga

The Soup Nazi 02.22.2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Some recent purchases that I've been enjoying:

Dull Knife - Dull Knife

Rest - LA Lungs

Tile III - Luciernaga

I plead guilty of illiteracy.
:confused:

pony 02.23.2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
That's fucking awful. I'm sorry to hear it.

I lost my collection about 12 years ago. Most of it anyway. Almost all the tapes, CD's and vinyl I'd collected over the first 20-something years of my life gone. Luckily I kept my "best of the best" collection separate, as that's all I was able to keep. I'm still playing catch-up, still re-buying albums.

I also lost my entire SY collection once in a separate incident. That stung.

It does suck, but in the end it's only things and almost everything can be replaced. It was also kind of freeing, losing almost everything I owned. It just really sucked that I didn't have a place for a few weeks and that I have to live rather far out of the center of town now. But it's cheap and I can use the money. So that's that.

I do get sad every now and then when I think "OH, I should put on record XY!" and realize that I don't have it anymore. But that's what spotify is for, I guess...

My Sonic Youth collection is basically non-existent anymore. Have some records, was able to save my Psychic Hearts Vinyl.. but all the shirts, the rare trinkets, VHS', cassettes,... gone.

BUT! it could be worse.

Quote:

Oh man, that's HORRIBLE. Just this morning I accidentally spilled some Coca-Cola on a couple of magazines and I went apeshit. If I lost a portion of my music collection like you did I would SHOOT myself in the HEAD.

I only cried, like, 3 times after it happened. Life goes on and now I don't have so much stuff to carry whenever I decide to move houses again. My friends are really lazy haha

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, Pony......curious about the album you miss the most?

I don't think I *really* miss any of my records. Every now and then when I get into the mood to listen to a certain band and won't stop listening to them for a few days/weeks I sometimes think "Oh man, I used to own the record" and get sad. Most of the time, if the bank account allows for it, I just go out and get the record and the problem is solved. Right now I have this with Sweater-Kinney, which is why I bought the two albums this week. But there is still a lot missing.

But it's okay. I have to learn to be patient, for now I have all the SK music files saved on my phone and listen to them on heavy rotation. Such a great band, makes me wanna jump around and do stuff! :)

Bytor Peltor 02.23.2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

I plead guilty of illiteracy.
:confused:

Here are two more I forgot about:

The Hired Hands: A Tribute To Bruce Langhorn

Naked Future - Gigantomachia

Severian 02.23.2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

My Sonic Youth collection is basically non-existent anymore. Have some records, was able to save my Psychic Hearts Vinyl.. but all the shirts, the rare trinkets, VHS', cassettes,... gone.

:eek: FUCK.

I feel like we should start a GoFundMe campaign for you. That's fucking devastating. I'm so so sorry.

When I lost my SY albums, I didn't have a ton of money, and was inching my way through school. I did the least responsible thing possible and used my paycheck and a chunk of savings to go out and at least replace all the studio albums, like, as soon as I physically could. Now I probably wouldn't make the same call, but then it felt imparitive. Also, the SY stuff was stolen, so that made it worse. I never fully rebuilt my vinyl collection. :(

I'm giving you rep because you're a fucking trooper.

The Soup Nazi 02.23.2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

I do get sad every now and then when I think "OH, I should put on record XY!" and realize that I don't have it anymore.

Isn't that a fuckin' Coldplay album? ...No, wait, that piece of shit is called X&Y. Phew! :D

The Soup Nazi 02.23.2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Oh, well, this one I do have. I'm not that illiterate. :)

betweenthebars 02.25.2017 04:28 PM

Two new releases I picked up yesterday

Sun Kil Moon - Common as Light and Love are Red Valleys of Blood
* w/ Steve Shelley on drums

The Feelies - In Between

Enjoying both so far