Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tristan da Cunha - the most isolated inhabited place on Earth (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31759)

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 03:49 AM

Tristan da Cunha - the most isolated inhabited place on Earth

I have stumbled upon this info while bored at work yesterday and I've grown really fascinated about this remote little island. The population there is so isolated they've even developed their own faux-english dialect.

Tristan da Cunha (pronounced /ˈtrɪstən də ˈkuːnə/) is a remote volcanic group of islands in the south Atlantic Ocean. It is the most remote inhabited archipelago in the world,[1] lying 2,816 kilometres (1,750 mi) from the nearest land, South Africa, and 3,360 kilometres (2,090 mi) from South America. It is a dependency of the British overseas territory of Saint Helena, 2,430 kilometres (1,510 mi) to the north.

The islands have a population of 271 people.[7] The main settlement is Edinburgh of the Seven Seas (known locally as "The Settlement"). The only religion is Christianity, with denominations of Anglican and Roman Catholic. There are instances of health problems attributed to endogamy, including asthma and glaucoma, largely because of the inevitable marriages among closely related couples, for example marriages between second degree cousins, that comes with having such a small gene pool.
The current population is thought to have descended from 15 ancestors, eight males and seven females who arrived on the island at various times between 1816 and 1908. The male founders originated from Scotland, England, Holland, the USA and Italy.[8] There is a very high incidence of asthma among the population and research by Dr. Noe Zamel of the University of Toronto has led to discoveries about the genetic nature of the disease.[9] Three of the original settlers of the island were sufferers.[10]
The remote location of the islands makes transport to the outside world difficult. There is no airport, so the islands can only be reached by boat. Fishing boats from South Africa regularly service the islands. The RMS Saint Helena formerly connected the islands to South Africa, and the United Kingdom via Saint Helena and Ascension Island, but she no longer calls at Tristan da Cunha.

On Tristan da Cunha the population of 271 people share just seven surnames: Glass, Green, Hagan, Lavarello (a typical Ligurian surname), Repetto (another typical Ligurian surname), Rogers and Swain. There are 80 families on the island.

Television did not arrive on the island until 2001, and the sole channel available is the British Forces Broadcasting Service from the Falkland Islands. Education is rudimentary; children leave school at fifteen, and although it is possible to take GCSEs a year later, results are poor.[11][12]
Tristan da Cunha's isolation has led to an unusual, patois-like dialect of English. Bill Bryson documents some examples of the island's dialect in his book, The Mother Tongue.

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 04:02 AM

Here's their official website - shitty and ugly, yet an interesting read.

http://www.tristandc.com/

al shabbray 06.03.2009 04:15 AM

really interesting. it stopped me from coding for a few minutes, will have a more deep read later

phoenix 06.03.2009 04:28 AM

I bet they eat people.

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
I bet they eat people.

I was counting minutes until you jump in this thread ;)

phoenix 06.03.2009 04:37 AM

but of course! I wanted to see the next island to visit.....

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 04:48 AM

That island actually looks like an old woman's nipple.
I've made up my mind - I don't want to go there anymore.

al shabbray 06.03.2009 04:50 AM

hahaha.
you ve never walked on an old mans nipple...maybe its great

phoenix 06.03.2009 04:56 AM

haha ! hmm it's a little too pointy and volcano like to be a nipple, I think :P

phoenix 06.03.2009 04:57 AM

So... we'll have to find another island then??

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

So... we'll have to find another island then??

Shhh...I've already booked a teepe at St. Helena for two people.

phoenix 06.03.2009 05:00 AM

I'm not coming until you are okay with skinny naked women.

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

I'm not coming until you are okay with skinny naked women.

(see Hot Girls thread for opinion adjustment)

chrome noise tape 06.03.2009 05:16 AM

i bet they're small people

phoenix 06.03.2009 05:25 AM

is that real? so cute if it is..

chrome noise tape 06.03.2009 06:07 AM

real

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 07:47 AM

When that volcano gets active, I guess the people there are pretty much fucked.

phoenix 06.03.2009 07:52 AM

yeh, I read on wiki (I think ) that they evacuated in the 60's because of a minor erruption.. and only came back a year or two later..

phoenix 06.03.2009 07:53 AM

Those little craters on the side look so awesome..

_slavo_ 06.03.2009 08:21 AM

not really an ideal place to hike around ..

(or do photoshoots, lol)

the people must be tearing their limbs off in boredom.