Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 04.05.2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
it's not as bad as Bruce Hornsby's "The way it Is". I hate that song. reminds me of getting dropped off to school from my mom's car in the morning with that shitting song in my head.

Did you watch the fucking video bra?

I'm not talking about the song. I'm talking about that obscenely racist and utterly non-sensical video.

The chorus is infectious as HIV, even though it sucks... but damn those lyrics are fucking stupid.

"The wild dogs cry out in the night / as they grow restless, longing for some solitary company (WHAT????)
I know that I must do what's right / As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Seeeeerengetiiiiiiiii (REALLY???)

Also with the video in mind, the chorus doesn't work.
"it's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you / there's nothing a hundred men or more could ever do" ... should really be
"it's not going to take much to drag me away from you / there's nothing a hundred white guys without spears could ever do as-long-as-there-are-no-black-guys-with-spears-hanging-out-with-them"

Anyway it's the video that's the real insult to music, videos, music videos, libraries, Africa, Africans, black people, and honestly white people too.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.05.2016 09:47 AM

So in a mock election to simulate voter registration and voting my seniors elected Kanye West as "International Youth Ambassador"...

However take it with a grain of salt, a hand ful of them also voted for Bush II as greatest president ever. There was even one vote for Nixon

Severian 04.05.2016 10:21 AM

They're seniors in high school. They shouldn't even be able to even remember W. in any substantive way.

Severian 04.05.2016 10:22 AM

Was probably the only president they knew. Kids are so stupid. Or maybe they just liked writing "bush." Kids are so cool.

louder 04.05.2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
See, I think Stankonia is closer in spirit to the former.

And what about Southernplayalisticadilacmuzik?

Great album, but they really stepped it up on ATLiens. That was the beginning of their really amazing stuff in my opinion. I read that people in Atlanta used to call Andre "gay" and a "weirdo" when he switched up to an eccentric clothing style during the ATLiens era. He basically pulled a Young Thug 20 years earlier. Except he was actually what all those critics want Thugger to be. OutKast were so ahead of their time.

Rob Instigator 04.05.2016 10:42 AM

Dre 3000's change in style was all due to Erikah Badu.

she shaped his style away from sports jerseys and shit

louder 04.05.2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Yeah true. His subject matter got deeper and more philosphical accordingly too.

Severian 04.05.2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Erykah is an amazing force in music. It's surprising how much her public profile has shrunk in the years since Baduism (which is, like, her worst album by far). She's become an almost indie musician. Or at least a niche artist. Less prominent in popular media than D'angelo or even Lauryn Hill, who is God knows where doing god knows what.

I agree. I think she expanded Dre's horizons big time. Too bad they didn't work out. Glad they're still cool though.

Hey what ever happens to that Jim Hendrix bio-pic that Dre was supposed to be in? Not that I was looking forward to it. Biopics are mostly god awful, but the last thing I heard was the the Hendrix estate had beef about it. Is it not happening now?

louder 04.05.2016 12:21 PM

Drake's 2 new singles (one of them features Kanye and two lines from Jay Z) are really bad.. if they're on Views then it's already not as good as If You're Reading This. I'm starting to think Drake's career has ran its course..

louder 04.05.2016 12:23 PM

Not in terms of popularity of course, he'll continue to sell. In terms of quality though, he's probably done.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.05.2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Erykah is an amazing force in music. It's surprising how much her public profile has shrunk in the years since Baduism (which is, like, her worst album by far). She's become an almost indie musician. Or at least a niche artist. Less prominent in popular media than D'angelo or even Lauryn Hill, who is God knows where doing god knows what.

I agree. I think she expanded Dre's horizons big time. Too bad they didn't work out. Glad they're still cool though.

Hey what ever happens to that Jim Hendrix bio-pic that Dre was supposed to be in? Not that I was looking forward to it. Biopics are mostly god awful, but the last thing I heard was the the Hendrix estate had beef about it. Is it not happening now?

Badu isn't a fashionable brand because she is an authentic artist, actual human being, and the very definition of a bad bitch.

2010s can't handle real life like her..

Severian 04.05.2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Badu isn't a fashionable brand because she is an authentic artist, actual human being, and the very definition of a bad bitch.

2010s can't handle real life like her..

Agreed.

Severian 04.05.2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Not in terms of popularity of course, he'll continue to sell. In terms of quality though, he's probably done.

I don't even want to hear them. I don't know what happened. I thought I'd finally figured out how I feel about that guy when If You're Readung This came out... or rather, months later when I finally listened to it, like a LOT, and realized just how good it was.

But for some reason that feeling went away. I still like If You're Reading This... and several tunes from his other albums, but I don't give a shit about Views. I don't give a shit about Hotline Bling, or sweet 16. I don't even care that Kanye's a feature. I don't want to hear it.

Maybe it's just a phase. I tend to go through those with that punchable motherfucker. But right now, I just don't give a shit. He's really quite a lame dude.

pepper_green 04.05.2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

This kinda happened to me too. The very year that "California Love" dropped, I was being called a punk and a fag, by folks at my high school who wore oversized Pac shirts all the time.

For some reason, the phrase "skater fag" was thrown at me a lot by this very same group of assholes. I guess I used to spend some time on the half pipe in the summers, but I was never a skater kid, never wore the clothes or the beanies or anything. That fucking insult just baffled me. Felt lazy. Punk, I can understand, but these guys were grasping at straws.

the pharse "punk bitch boy" was very popular at the time. those assholes don't exist anymore for some reason I don't think. people where im from have become generally nicer. im mean, I ran into some very violent folks a.k.a rednecks back then. black guys would just joke the hell out of you while white boys would want to kick yr ass up to yr head. not no more. I think's its because of the pill epidemic. everyones a junky now plus no one wants to be a hater and hip hop has gotten less aggressive and homophobic.

pepper_green 04.05.2016 05:44 PM

Aquemini and Stankonia are the classics. they really put GA on the map with those. the vibe, the smells and the sounds of the south. Killer Mike still does it. they proved that hip hop is soul where's it from. it's that humidity and sweating all the time. it makes you crazy. I still listen to Outkast. one of the greats.

pepper_green 04.05.2016 06:04 PM

pretty sure Such neg repped or hates me because of what said of 2Pac.

Rob Instigator 04.06.2016 08:49 AM

if you listen to hotline bling, real loud, in your car, driving around late at night, it is fucking awesome. (musicwise, the way the tune comes goes, and then changes and then comes back) lyricwise? I think someone should make an answer song from the POV of a lady telling Drake "go fuck yourself, you aint all that, and I needed a bigger dick...."

louder 04.06.2016 09:02 AM

Yeah Hotline Bling sounds good but how much of it has to do with Drake? His producers don't get enough credit. 40 is a brilliant producer and he carried each and every one of his albums, he's the main reason Drake got this far.

louder 04.06.2016 09:02 AM

Some recent Drake lines:

"Just cause he got a heart don't mean he got heart"

"If you had a twin, I would still choose you"

"Got so many chains they call me Chaining Tatum"

Severian 04.06.2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Some recent Drake lines:

"Got so many chains they call me Chaining Tatum"

Aaaaaahhhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
No. Fucking. Way. No. No, you're fucking with me louder. You're using your knowledge of me and the things I find ridiculous and hilarious and you're digging deep into my psyche to create the perfect lyiric to send me into fits of laughter. Right?

There's no way this is really a song lyric. Please tell me you're just sitting around, writing fake Drake lyrics with the sole purpose of making me piss myself.

No fucking way. That makes "if I fuck this model/ and she just bleached her asshole/ and I get bleach on my t-shirt/ ima feel like an asshole" sound like the very cutting edge of satirical poetry. Makes it sound fucking profound.