Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   songs that remind you of other songs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13246)

atsonicpark 06.01.2007 02:57 PM

pavement - two states / paul mccartney - helen wheels

raging_nelly 06.05.2007 03:22 AM

Sonic Youth - Stalker / Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up

terminal pharmacy 06.05.2007 04:53 AM

anything by jet (who suck ass) remind me of iggy pop (lust for life riff) and any stones and / or the beatles

ZEROpumpkins 06.05.2007 06:42 AM

Jet sound more like Oasis now.

andrei 06.05.2007 07:27 AM

Sonic Youth - Shaking Hell / DNA's Lionel

Kylerobert 06.05.2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
one of the oasis dudes was whining that green day stole the arrangement of "wonderwall" for uh... "boulevard of broken dreams" or something. by arrangement, i guess he means structure? and uh.. well, i dunno if it's far-fetched to say that, structurally, most pop songs are very similiar. but okay...

That's too much...Greenday uses a common cord progression (I believe its actually the same chords used in Pearl Jam's 'alive')...Like you said it's a pop song. When I think of songs that sound alike, they usually have similar riffs or developed basslines.

pokkeherrie 06.06.2007 10:35 AM

Ghost - Into the Alley / Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

Seriously, there's something about the vocals in that Ghost song that makes me think of the "I'm so in love with you..." lyrics from Frankie Goes to Hollywood every single time I hear it.

frades 06.21.2007 11:14 AM

stones on "sonic nurse" has reminded me of "gimme shelter" (rolling stones) for the guitar "up and down"

atsonicpark 06.21.2007 02:10 PM

there is a 4-5-4-6 riff in this one Sunn O))) song that reminds me of every other Sunn O))) song.. does that count?

king_buzzo 06.21.2007 02:13 PM

aruca-medicine and MBV's soon.

atsonicpark 06.21.2007 02:25 PM

this is stupid but there was a song about 6 years ago that was really popular and it had the EXACT SAME RIFF as korn - freak on a leash.. you know that riff, that "wan biiiiiiiiiiing wan TWEET TWEET" riff? IDENTICAL.

ridiculous.. but true.

GrungeMonkey 06.21.2007 03:12 PM

The little intro/bit before the verses bit to Disconnection Notice is used in the verse riff in doctor orders too...

Torn Curtain 06.22.2007 11:17 AM

Perry Blake - 1971 / Nick Drake - Day is done

Everyneurotic 06.22.2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
there is a 4-5-4-6 riff in this one Sunn O))) song that reminds me of every other Sunn O))) song.. does that count?

hahahahahahahahaha

but i prefer the ones that remind me of earth's teeth of the lion rule the divine more than the ones that sound like the first 20 minutes of boris' absolutego.

Torn Curtain 08.17.2007 03:22 PM

Gants - Wonder (song n° 21 on the 2nd disc of Nuggets) / The Beatles - In my life

Torn Curtain 09.10.2007 04:27 PM

Ben Harper - Fight Outta You / Neil Young - Don't cry no tears
Ben Harper - Diamonds on the inside / Bod Dylan - I shall be released

Visaforviolet 09.10.2007 06:37 PM

The Futurama Theme Song is stunningly similar to Pierre Henry, "Psyche Rock."

frades 11.09.2007 02:48 PM

could someone give a song comparing "helen lundeberg" (a thread is dedicated to this song in sonic gossip) ?

jetengine 11.09.2007 09:38 PM

The Stooges, 'No Fun' / Sonic Youth, 'Sleepin' Around'
The Pink Floyd, 'The Interstellar Overdrive' / Sonic Youth, 'Death To Our Friends'
The Doors, 'L.A. Woman' (intro.) / Sonic Youth, 'The World Looks Red' (intro.)
Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Saturday Night Special' + The Sex Pistols' 'Liar' + John Hinckley Jr. = Sonic Youth's 'Stalker'
The Kingsmen, 'Louie, Louie' / Zappa & The Mothers, 'Plastic People', 'The Son of Suzy Creamcheese'
Black Sabbath, 'Paranoid' / Soundgarden, 'Rusty Cage'
ZZ Top, 'Tush' / Motorhead, 'No Class'
T. Rex, 'Ride a White Swan' / The Jesus Lizard, 'More Beautiful Than Barbie' (Isn't this song a tribute to Marc Bolan, by the way?)

ZEROpumpkins 11.10.2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
Weezer-Undone (the Sweater Song)/ Pixies-I Bleed

Very glad that I am not the only one to notice this. You also might have realised that the verses in Weezer's "The Worl Has Turned And Left Me Here" sounds a lot like the chord progression from the Pixies "Gigantic". I still like Weezer's first two albums though.

Some other songs I've noticed, with the latter of the two being most recent:
Metalica - One (The intro)/Blink 182 - Adam's Song
Cat Stevens - Father and Son/Flaming Lips - Fight Test (Probably already mentioned)
Guided by Voices - Circus World (Guitar Solo)/Theme from Shrek (This has to be heard to be believed, most likely an accident on Dreamwork's behalf)
Beck - Pay No Mind (Snoozer)/Beck - Nitemare Hippy Girl (Both good songs)
Nine Inch Nails - The Good Soldier/Nine Inch Nails - God Given
Silver Jews - New Orleans/Pavement - Grounded (Not sure which one came first, as both songs were recorded at similar times)
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir/Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up (Riffs)
The Beatles - I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Radiohead - A Wolf at the Door

That's all for now but if I notice any more i'll post em.