Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Belle and Sebastian (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10190)

Lizzie 01.30.2007 09:40 AM

Belle and Sebastian

Any other Belle and Sebastian fans here?

soapbars 01.30.2007 09:50 AM

No. Ive always been put off by them because i read an interview once with their guitarist (stuart i think?) and he said sonic youth were too lo-fi without enough tunes, which i thought was bullshit.

Ive heard a few songs since and its clear theyre one dimensional, taking from one of the many sounds the velvet underground had and repackaging it poorly.

Toilet & Bowels 01.30.2007 10:36 AM

they were greatfor the first 4 albums, but then they turned rubbish when dear catastrophe waitress came out. i think it's unfair to call the a vu rip off, they had a wider array of influences than that, i think love are maybe a bigger influence on them than the vu anyway.

porkmarras 01.30.2007 10:48 AM

I haven't been listening to their last album as much as i thought that i would(and it's not too bad either) but i am a fan.I have all their records and their eps.I can't hear a prominent VU influence on them at all.Norther Soul and 80's scottish indie,yes,but not VU.

porkmarras 01.30.2007 10:53 AM

Bless.

The Vaselines weren't as good with lyrics as Belle And Sebastian,though.

Toilet & Bowels 01.30.2007 10:55 AM

and b&s have much more intricately arranged songs too.

porkmarras 01.30.2007 11:10 AM

No.They.Don't.Period.

Danny Himself 01.30.2007 11:17 AM

I have Belle and Sebastian's first two albums and I like them. Tigermilk is my favorite though. The trem-soaked guitar on 'I could be dreaming' is great.

porkmarras 01.30.2007 11:18 AM

Because i've had double thoughts after registering on it.Have you been googling me again?Stalker!!

jimbrim 01.30.2007 12:41 PM

I really Belle and Sebastian's music, well up to their latest record anyway, but i wouldnt say they are a complete Vaselines rip off.

k-krack 01.30.2007 12:51 PM

They're a fucking pop band. A fucking great one, at that. Shut up about their damn influences and listen.
I just listened to their Jeepster EP collection, and some of the songs are so fucking good.

hey alex 01.30.2007 01:05 PM

Their ok sometimes. I love 'if your feeling sinister' but only on occasional spins. I couldn't get into any of their other albums and that newish one, life pursuit, was a big ol' hunk of holey cheese. But sinister, *muah* magnifuseek.

!@#$%! 01.30.2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie
Any other Belle and Sebastian fans here?

i personally detest them, i think they are a bunch of overgrown sexless children, but i DO listen to their music on a regular basis. it's strangely pleasant, in spite of the irritating lyrics, and i quite like it.

porkmarras 01.30.2007 03:27 PM

There's very little that is sexless about the title track on this ep.

Savage Clone 01.30.2007 03:40 PM

The only thing I have ever been motivated to buy from B&S is the "Legal Man" single, which I like a lot when I am in the mood for something so upbeat. I hated them at first but certain tunes have grown on me.

sun city girl 01.30.2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
why listen to them when ya can listen to the vaselines who more or less did the same thing but 40 fuckin times better.

i agree that the vaselines were 40 times better but i don't really see the connection here...

i do like the early B&S ep's and 3 first lp's have their moments... so i kinda like them, but yeah, vaselines... they RULED!!!!!!!!1

nicfit 01.30.2007 03:50 PM

I was about to say " I only listen to "legal man", I put that on a party compilation a few years ago.". But I did not buy the single. I just have it. In a non-legal way. Ironic.

sun city girl 01.30.2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Ironic.

yeah!

porkmarras 01.30.2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sun city girl
i agree that the vaselines were 40 times better but i don't really see the connection here...

i do like the early B&S ep's and 3 first lp's have their moments... so i kinda like them, but yeah, vaselines... they RULED!!!!!!!!1

The Vaselines comparison doesn't make that much sense whichever way i look at it as Belle And Sebastian's muscianship is a tad more colourful than theirs and this is not to point out the the richer tapestry of their lyrics.I don't mind The Vaselines so much but i can't say i'm their number one fan either.

hotbutterknives 01.30.2007 06:00 PM

belle and sebastian are one of the best pop bands out there at the moment, fucking genius!
I must admit that Life Pursuit is my least favorite album of them, but its still think its a cool record, songs like To be myself Completly are pretty sweet