Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Abortion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=307)

noumenal 03.26.2006 06:30 PM

Abortion

I thought it'd be nice to start a thread on a light topic - there's been too much seriousness on the board lately.

Ok, really, anybody want to discuss how they feel about abortion? I have a lot of opinions. Has this been beat into the ground? Seems like a good debating topic. I don't know...

HaydenAsche 03.26.2006 06:32 PM

I dunno. I don't think its right but there are many different reasons that would make it reasonable to me.

Hip Priest 03.26.2006 06:33 PM

I'm broadly in favour of the individual's right to choose.

I also feel that moral responsibility is an inherent obligation in all things.

samuel 03.26.2006 06:33 PM

I'm a guy, so I feel that I don't have the right to tell a woman that they can't have an abortion. It's their choice. Also, I don't think that it's wrong.

schizophrenicroom 03.26.2006 06:35 PM

It depends on the individual case. What one of the Dakota states did, outlawing it totally, is disgusting. What if a twelve-year-old was raped, and became pregnant? Having a kid that age carry a child could seriously harm you, physically and inside. Even though it's viewed as murder and you can say "just put it up for adoption once it's born", it's still a kid who was the parent.

If you're just someone that fucks around a lot, and get abortions in place of using contraceptives, then it's wrong, though.

noumenal 03.26.2006 06:36 PM

I don't like the labels Pro-Choice and Pro-Life. Pro-Life is dumb, period. Pro-Choice makes it about rights, which is not how I like to look at it.

HaydenAsche 03.26.2006 06:37 PM

South Dakota said that if it endangered a woman it would be legal to have an abortion.

Hip Priest 03.26.2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
I don't like the labels Pro-Choice and Pro-Life. Pro-Life is dumb, period. Pro-Choice makes it about rights, which is not how I like to look at it.

In every moral or political debate, the public is essentially presented with biases views that do nothing to offer a balanced understanding. My own view is that we need to dump the general trend of government nannying and control and encourage people to behave morally, with a sense of personal responsibility. It won't be perfect, but it's ultimately the only way for society to be free.

Flen flyys 03.26.2006 06:43 PM

Since you can be personally against abortion (valid stance) and still be Pro-Choice I don't think it's acceptable for there to be any "Pro-Life/Anti-Choice" side. Too many pro-life people seem to be going about it with a "you made your bed, now sleep in it" attitude and that is fucking bullshit because you don't fucking joke around with creating lives. Using babies as punishment for having sex is disgusting.

noumenal 03.26.2006 06:44 PM

My view, in detail:

Life begins at conception - the glob of cells is human and alive. However, it isn't a person. Personhood requires more than simply being alive and human, clearly. When does personhood start? Impossible to answer, but in my opinion, well after birth.

I don't think that killing a fetus or unborn baby is morally wrong in any case. Infanticide is wrong if it's not your baby. If it's your baby, it's more complicated. In modern western culture, kiling your own baby is REALLY looked down upon.

However, I think that the laws should reflect the values of the majority of people - they should be a reflection of the average view, not my personal view. So, in America, I think abortion should be legal, but only through the second trimester (or maybe the first) - seems like a good compromise. That's pretty much how it works now - third trimester abortions are really rare.

Also, the term partial-birth abortion is a bullshit term made up by politicians.

finding nobody 03.26.2006 07:45 PM

i dont think its right for sluts to go around and get abortions any time they choose. but if a woman were to get raped. that would be some shit for someone force her to give brith to that child? ya know?
good topic. btw

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.26.2006 07:47 PM

If it legal to kill millions over an ideal such as government why can't we use abortions to keep a child from living an unhappy life.

Hip Priest 03.26.2006 07:49 PM

The total anti-abortionist stance is just cruel, the thought that there are people in power who would have raped women forced to cary the baby, that's a worrying thing.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.26.2006 07:50 PM

Indeed.

golden child 03.26.2006 09:17 PM

i think abortions are wrong, under any circumstances

HaydenAsche 03.26.2006 09:19 PM

I kind of agree with you. I think that Adoption is always an option. However, I feel less people should get pregnant. I want the world population to even out but not with the help of abortion.

pussygold5000 03.26.2006 09:27 PM

I think the real problem is people/institutions getting in the way and speaking on behalf of others. Noone has the right to tell a woman whether she should or shouldn't have the baby. Frankly, it's nobody's business but hers.

golden child 03.26.2006 09:33 PM

and i hate how all the feminists turn it around and make it an issue of their rights. give them an inch, they take a mile.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.26.2006 09:34 PM

What if a guy gets raped by a women and she gets pregnant. The woman doesn't want an abortion so the guy has to pay child support for a kid he made while being raped.

HaydenAsche 03.26.2006 09:35 PM

More like give 'em an inch and they refuse to shave their legs and decide that dyke hair-cuts and flannel is 'in'.