Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Calming the Snake" (Live in Chile) Video (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30052)

Moshe 04.03.2009 12:26 AM

"Calming the Snake" (Live in Chile) Video

Sonic Youth

"Calming the Snake" (Live in Chile) (Video)

April 2, 2009 3:47 p.m. by Andrew Winistorfer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK3C4...layer_embedded

Under normal circumstances, a fan-made video of a new song performed in Chile by an indie rock band won't get written up, but the video above is from some upstart outfit (kidding) named Sonic Youth, who have a new album out in June, that apart from a Newsweek sampler , we haven't heard anything off of. Sonic Youth played in Chile last weekend, and among their set of mostly greatest hits, they busted out "Calming the Snake" a ripping and roaring new track from The Eternal . The video leaves much to be desired in terms of what Lee Ranaldo is up to on this song, but we know Kim and Thurston totally wail on this one. I can't speak for the rest of the album, but if it sounds like this, I'm definitely interested.

pbradley 04.03.2009 01:09 AM

Calming the Snake and Sacred Trickster are really short songs. Almost disappointingly so. Needs more sonic break down sprawling.

Still enjoy what there is, of course.

greenlight 04.03.2009 01:33 AM

thanks!

Dead-Air 04.03.2009 02:08 AM

That was a pretty damn good song despite the poor recording quality. Definitely seems they're rocking it a bit more than RR, and with some neat bursts of noise. I'm definitely excited.

nicfit 04.03.2009 03:40 AM

Dunno, I don't think it's much of a big deal to see a video of a song we get to know months ago as "Mars" :D, still it's quite nice and cool, too bad the camera is fixed on T+K.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 04:13 AM

From what I can tell, this song is cool.

Jazzmasters make me cum.

nicfit 04.03.2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Jazzmasters make me cum.

Jizzmasters

Death & the Maiden 04.03.2009 05:33 AM

It sounds alright.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 05:36 AM

You know what would be amazing, in all seriousness? A Malice Mizer/Sonic Youth collab.

_slavo_ 04.03.2009 05:50 AM

The song's good.

Death & the Maiden 04.03.2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
You know what would be amazing, in all seriousness? A Malice Mizer/Sonic Youth collab.

Yeah, Sonic Youth with harpsichords, pipe organs, choirs and music boxes would be pretty amazing.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 06:25 AM

yes.

Kosako 04.03.2009 09:44 AM

I can't understand why people in this forum are making a big deal about SY recording their next album in a couple of month. I just saw "calming the snake" in YouTube.com and I think it's quite raw rock and roll, I miss the Confusion Is Next or Bad Moon Rising era, or even Evol era. They were like don't worrying about chords or tunes, or stuff. That song, for me, is really good, and I will be looking forward to get the next album soon.

[Sandbag] 04.03.2009 09:52 AM

sounds good. kim's melody at 1:10 or somethings seems worked. it was just a horrible mumbling in earlier versions

btw..whats this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gt265l6XYg

[Sandbag] 04.03.2009 10:35 AM

sounds..good

SYRFox 04.03.2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosako
I can't understand why people in this forum are making a big deal about SY recording their next album in a couple of month. I just saw "calming the snake" in YouTube.com and I think it's quite raw rock and roll, I miss the Confusion Is Next or Bad Moon Rising era, or even Evol era. They were like don't worrying about chords or tunes, or stuff. That song, for me, is really good, and I will be looking forward to get the next album soon.

wait... what?

mil_pl 04.03.2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
wait... what?

exactly.

greedrex 04.03.2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosako

:confused::confused::confused:

Kosako 04.03.2009 12:08 PM

There is a post from some guy who is saying that he has his doubt about a record being produced in a couple of month; ok? Get it? Well, I'm saying I don't care if Sonic Youth take 20 years or 2 month, the song "calming... " sounds pretty power and raw to me. Still waiting for "The Eternal" with the same anxiousness (is that word right?) as before.

greedrex 04.03.2009 12:15 PM

^^ anxiety

actually i get yr post now.
everything back to normal again.