Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When was the last time you thought humanity made a step forward and why? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39731)

Genteel Death 05.06.2010 02:49 PM

When was the last time you thought humanity made a step forward and why?

When and why?

Glice 05.06.2010 02:52 PM

Sunday afternoon. One particular member of humanity. It made me go giddy. No more details. Oh, and the Sunday before that. Same person, different reasons.

space 05.06.2010 02:54 PM

July 9, 1984 - we evolved into beings of light.

Rob Instigator 05.06.2010 02:54 PM

the moment the Obama administration reversed Bush's ban on stem cell research.

pbradley 05.06.2010 02:58 PM

This morning, when I woke up.

Genteel Death 05.06.2010 03:01 PM

Why?

pbradley 05.06.2010 03:13 PM

Because I woke up. I almost didn't bother. One small step, etc. Humanity jitters along at the everydayness of humans.

However, for a less buggering answer, I would say the advent of social networking and the ubiquity of cell-phones is the most significant collective step forward of the civilized world towards whatever.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.06.2010 03:13 PM

never

I'd say social networking and the ubiquity of cell-phones makes communication such a commodity that it is extremely devalued and taken for granted. So much so that many of us have forgotten how to really communicate with others.

pbradley 05.06.2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I'd say social networking and the ubiquity of cell-phones makes communication such a commodity that it is extremely devalued and taken for granted. So much so that many of us have forgotten how to really communicate with others.

Which is a step forward.

atsonicpark 05.06.2010 03:28 PM

techno

Genteel Death 05.06.2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

never

I think we are more prone to try imposing our egos on random strangers on the internet, and that's alright, whatever, even though it will always feel like a mutilated form of communication without the phisycal presence of an audience in front of your thinking/doing. So, yeah, the internet- interesting and often stimulating thing, yet ultimately it doesn't exactly change people's immedite condition. Not the vast majority of them, anyway.

Lurker 05.06.2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

never

I agree with you. But there's been more damage than this.

space 05.06.2010 03:43 PM

splitting an atom can power yr home for eternity, or it can bomb yr neighbor until they glow.

it's all about what you do with it.

Genteel Death 05.06.2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I think we are more prone to try imposing our egos on random strangers on the internet, and that's alright, whatever, even though it will always feel like a mutilated form of communication without the phisycal presence of an audience in front of your thinking/doing. So, yeah, the internet- interesting and often stimulating thing, yet ultimately it doesn't exactly change people's immedite condition. Not the vast majority of them, anyway.

By no means an anti-internet post.

Lurker 05.06.2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space
splitting an atom can power yr home for eternity, or it can bomb yr neighbor until they glow.

it's all about what you do with it.

What if I want to glow?

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.06.2010 04:21 PM

Can anyone tell me how we're any better than ancient civilizations? Technologically we're more advanced, but as a society what more do we have to offer?

Pookie 05.06.2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me how we're any better than ancient civilizations? Technologically we're more advanced, but as a society what more do we have to offer?

Depends on your definition of "better". More advanced certainly.

We live longer for a start.

Lurker 05.06.2010 04:27 PM

Again, I'd mostly agree with you.

EDIT - Responding to SpectralJulian

Genteel Death 05.06.2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Depends on your definition of "better". More advanced certainly.

We live longer for a start.

We live longer, heating is more widespread a comodity etc. Thank you pookie.
Julian- you get the drift. I know what you're getting at though.

Satan 05.06.2010 04:34 PM

i walk with my feet in a forward motion every day