Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   (actual) world cup thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40145)

SonicBebs 06.14.2010 02:35 AM

(actual) world cup thread

so as not to interfere or piss off anyone doing the fantasy league thing, discuss any world cup stuff here

can't wait for Holland today, and then Japan later

and the vuvuzelas haven't been as anoying as i thought they would

demonrail666 06.14.2010 03:30 AM

On the TV the vuvuzelas sound great. I'm not sure I'd wanna stand in a stadium full of them though.

Yeah, really looking forward to the Holland game. And Italy tonight, too.

Beautiful Plateau 06.14.2010 04:17 AM

The referees have set a high standard in the matches so far.
I think we'll see much more exciting football in the second and third round of the group stages, at least I hope we will.

pokkeherrie 06.14.2010 04:28 AM

Well done Germany! Finally a team that's brought goals galore.... this world cup really needs more goals.

Anyone else notice how the vast majority of free kicks and distance shots so far have gone well over the goal? Hopefully Sneijder and Van Persie can do it better today.

I'm really excited for the Holland game (and also for Brazil and Spain's first games).

SonicBebs 06.14.2010 05:42 AM

one of the commentators mentioned that too. If the ball is supposed to be so bad for keepers i'd have expected shots to be coming in from everywhere. most of the long range shots have gone well over or wide. I guess there bad for keepers and strikers too

Keeping It Simple 06.14.2010 06:10 AM

It's only a problem for the keepers who let in loads of goals and the strikers who miss the goal with their "hit and hope" shots. They're masking how shit they've been. A bad workman always blames his tools.

terminal pharmacy 06.14.2010 06:35 AM

Our boys played like shit last night and the red card on Cahill was bullshit, however Germany kicked our asses badly and way out classed us.

pokkeherrie 06.14.2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I'm really excited for the Holland game

That was AWFUL!

Rob Instigator 06.14.2010 09:26 AM

Very glad and happy to see the butterfingers keeper from the UK allow the US to draw that match! YAY!
very exciting. The Brits seemed to know the americans start off too emotional and without precision and they took advantage of it for their goal.

Love all the matches, even the boring ones.

LOVE EM!

ni'k 06.14.2010 09:36 AM

what's this? world cup? is it that kickyball thing? load of shite if you ask me.

Lurker 06.14.2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The Brits seemed to know the americans start off too emotional and without precision and they took advantage of it for their goal.

LOVE EM!

You mean the English.

Rob Instigator 06.14.2010 09:56 AM

english, british, whatever.

Derek 06.14.2010 10:01 AM

They are two very different things Rob :)

ni'k 06.14.2010 10:03 AM

ban all kickyball

space 06.14.2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k

related.

space 06.14.2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space

better than kickyball.

chicka 06.14.2010 10:37 AM

The Germans looked very good nice spacing, nice passing, great teamwork.
Argentina looked good and should have scored 4 goals themselves.
Yes USA was lucky but so weren't the English. The English certainly looked more potent offensively but the Americans were much better defensively as the backers and Howard proved themselves equal to the test. Slovenia and Algeria very boring match but Slovenia earn the victory with better play and have now put the pressure on the English and the Americans to play better and win their next two games if they hope to advance.

Rob Instigator 06.14.2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
They are two very different things Rob :)

and "yanks" are purely northeastern USA, but Brits call all of us that. No big deal.

Lurker 06.14.2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and "yanks" are purely northeastern USA, but Brits call all of us that. No big deal.

No. The equivalent would be referring to the USA team as the North American team, or the French as the Western European team.

SonicBebs 06.14.2010 11:06 AM

it's like calling Canadians Yanks

anyway

JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love it