Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starbucks to Release Sonic Youth Celebrity Compilation? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13961)

pantophobia 06.15.2007 06:52 PM

Starbucks to Release Sonic Youth Celebrity Compilation?

this is on pitchfork, and it ain't april 1st, so i don't know what the fuck this is
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ty-compilation

Starbucks to Release Sonic Youth Celebrity Compilation
Thurston: "We asked all these different people to choose their favorite Sonic Youth song. Jeff Tweedy, Beck, Marc Jacobs, Portia de Rossi, Michelle Williams ... Starbucks is the new record store, right?"

When Pitchfork called up Thurston Moore for an interview, we expected to chat about his forthcoming solo record, as well as Sonic Youth's legendary 1988 album Daydream Nation, recently reissued and being taken on tour this summer (including, as you know, a stop at the Pitchfork Music Festival).
And we did chat about that-- a whole lot-- and we can't wait to let you know everything Thurston said. But you're just going to have to wait until Monday, because in the middle of our interview, Thurston dropped a bomb...

Pitchfork: Is Sonic Youth working on any new material right now?

Thurston Moore: No, no. We kind of need to record a song for this Starbucks record that's coming out.

Pitchfork: For, uh, Starbucks?!

Thurston Moore: Yeah. We sort of devised this idea of a Sonic Youth record where we asked all these different people to choose their favorite song, people like artists and actors and other musicians and what have you. So all these people, from Jeff Tweedy to Beck to Marc Jacobs to Portia de Rossi to Michelle Williams [laughs], they all chose their favorite songs and wrote a little thing about it. So it's a compilation record of artists choosing songs of Sonic Youth. There's going to be one exclusive song of ours that we'll record, so that's something we have to record.

Pitchfork: So it's going to be one of those things up at the counter along with the biscotti and the disc of Elton John's favorite Christmas songs?

Thurston Moore: [laughs] Yeah, something like that. I wish Starbucks would ask me to compile a mixtape record.

Pitchfork: That would be ... interesting.

Thurston Moore: I love doing that stuff. But you know, it's so funny, because Starbucks is the new record store, right? [laughs]

Pitchfork: Yeah. I guess if you're in there buying a four dollar cup of coffee, the idea of throwing down a few more for the CD seems like no big deal.

Thurston Moore: Exactly, or getting the Paul McCartney gift card, you know. It's attractive, in a way [laughs]. I like these underground bands that only make records and stuff that they sell only at gigs, and it's only available if you go to the gig to their merch table and they advertise it on their site and at different blogs and they'll list all these things like "edition of 50, only available on this little tour we're doing." So if you're a fan you kind of got to go to get the merch.

Well, there you have it. A Sonic Youth album... for Starbucks.

We'll give you the weekend to think that over. Stay tuned for much, much more from Thurston on Monday, when we'll run the full interview.

screamingskull 06.15.2007 06:55 PM

Oh My God.

HECKLER SPRAY 06.15.2007 06:58 PM

It must be a joke...

Danny Himself 06.15.2007 06:59 PM

Wowza.

screamingskull 06.15.2007 06:59 PM

It can't be true.

Danny Himself 06.15.2007 07:15 PM

Oh babez, if pitchfork says so..

HECKLER SPRAY 06.15.2007 07:22 PM

Yeah, but Thurston doesn't look to be serious.

Danny Himself 06.15.2007 07:31 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yo7liMsVb40

Thurston on AOL DL. Yet another flirtation with the corporationz.

sarramkrop 06.15.2007 07:33 PM

Hot water.

Everyneurotic 06.15.2007 07:34 PM

sellouts!!!! i hate them!!!!

hirsute_biped 06.15.2007 07:43 PM

oh man, if it's true that would be lame to have to go there and shell out for a bunch of tracks we already have for one exclusive cut. i expect someone will up it to the international free-box though...

sarramkrop 06.15.2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
oh man, if it's true that would be lame to have to go there and shell out for a bunch of tracks we already have for one exclusive cut. i expect someone will up it to the international free-box though...

you're probably the sort of idiot who would, anyway.

Richard Pryor on Fire 06.15.2007 07:52 PM

I don't know if I really believe this, even if they wanted to do you think Sonic Youth has a big enough following for it to have a presence at Starbucks? Paul Macartney vs Lee Ranaldo?

demonrail666 06.15.2007 07:55 PM

Awww, Thurston's boring, Sonic Youth are boring, the Sonic Gossip section is boring.

pokkeherrie 06.15.2007 08:10 PM

I predict there's going to be at least half a dozen more threads about this in the next few weeks:

"So I was getting a medium-sized-no-foam-extra-hot-soy-latte at my local Starbucks this morning..."

demonrail666 06.15.2007 08:17 PM

Starbucks make better coffee these days than SY make records

sarramkrop 06.15.2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
I don't know if I really believe this, even if they wanted to do you think Sonic Youth has a big enough following for it to have a presence at Starbucks? Paul Macartney vs Lee Ranaldo?

THOSE mACCATNEEE phone cards got me a nice chat with my mum. sonic Yoof on it, who cares?

pokkeherrie 06.15.2007 08:36 PM

i don't. if they're good enough for HSBC then they're good enough for starbucks.
anyway, how's your mum?

sarramkrop 06.15.2007 08:48 PM

She seems alright, thanks. One leg is giving her a little trouble, but the woman doesn't like the rest she deserves.

pokkeherrie 06.15.2007 08:52 PM

ever busy, eh?
send her my best wishes.