Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CD's are dead. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8338)

Pookie 11.23.2006 07:35 AM

CD's are dead.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/20...e_downloa.html

screamingskull 11.23.2006 07:36 AM

poppy cock

Pookie 11.23.2006 07:38 AM

More cocky pop I'd say.

whorefrost 11.23.2006 07:49 AM

I guess CDs really were the yuppie's 8-track.

porkmarras 11.23.2006 07:51 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to whorefrost again.

whorefrost 11.23.2006 08:06 AM

Hey gimme hollow stimulation
Its so sleazy to be free
Lets invest in dull creation
Thrill city cheap legacy
What a waste
Yr so chaste
I can't wait
To taste yr face
vapid signals lead me to you
a sublime spectacular dud
safe and sound from chatter confusion
get the picture yes it's clear as mud

lyrics: thurston moore/kim gordon 2006

LittlePuppetBoy 11.23.2006 12:48 PM

that is so stupid

atari 2600 11.23.2006 01:43 PM

CD's are dead.

yet more apostrophe issues

HaydenAsche 11.23.2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
CD's are dead.

yet more apostrophe issues

A+.

atari 2600 11.23.2006 01:47 PM

I guess many here were home-schooled; as we already know, many were raised in a barn teehee.

HaydenAsche 11.23.2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
I guess many here were home-schooled; as we already know, many were raised in a barn teehee.

Home-schoolers are the downfall of society.

atari 2600 11.23.2006 01:56 PM

The article does highlight a few valid points...obvious ones, but valid nonetheless.

Glice 11.23.2006 02:05 PM

The reason for the apostrophe, albeit wrong, is that many of us were taught that the apostrophe tells us when things have been omitted - like the 'o' in 'haven't'. In the case of CDs, the logic is that the 'isc' of 'disc' has been omitted prior to its pluralisation. It's a very common mistake, but I feel it's a little remiss to criticise it. I'm all for the onward-thrust of grammatical-Nazism via internet message boards, but please people, let's head for the grave offenders rather than the odd typo/ forgivable mistake.

*EDIT: I <3 HYPHENS. MORE PLEASE.

HaydenAsche 11.23.2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
The reason for the apostrophe, albeit wrong, is that many of us were taught that the apostrophe tells us when things have been omitted - like the 'o' in 'haven't'. In the case of CDs, the logic is that the 'isc' of 'disc' has been omitted prior to its pluralisation. It's a very common mistake, but I feel it's a little remiss to criticise it. I'm all for the onward-thrust of grammatical-Nazism via internet message boards, but please people, let's head for the grave offenders rather than the odd typo/ forgivable mistake.

Can-do.

jon boy 11.23.2006 02:39 PM

hurray for everything.

atari 2600 11.23.2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice

By no means does internet messageboard grammar have to pass a fucking English professor's inspection or be held up to undue scrutiny.

But, on the other hand, I am just trying to assist the writer and those reading by informing them of the improper usage because I see otherwise good writers (people that are attempting to write well, and for that I'm glad) making these types of grammatical mistakes all the time on this board.

It's good to do away with bad writing habits and not reinforce them. Your parents might have had to break their backs to send you to a good school at some point or to move to an area with highly regarded public schools, for instance, and to pay that back with poor grammar is an insult to them and displays a lack of respect for yourself as well.
Just try and submit a resume for a real position that's riddled with such errors. People hiring see goofs like that and immediately toss your shit as a result.

Glice 11.23.2006 07:29 PM

Fair enough.

Cantankerous 11.24.2006 12:41 AM

i like how it says "pixes" instead of "pixies" on the CD display.

CDs suck ass.

nomowish 11.24.2006 12:44 AM

I'm so illiterate about downloading music and I plan on staying that way. Maybe if records didn't come with art I wouldn't care. Yeah, I don't think I would. In fact I've thought about getting into vinyl simply because the cover art is bigger.

k-krack 11.24.2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
It's a big lie from the pit of hell! SURE - groups / artist that release crap are probably seeing their product not move at all. There are too many artist / new labels popping up now days to prove that article wrong. Granted, the labels that are successful are so due to them specializing in a certain type of music / sound......but they are making money!

One thing that I have NEVER understood and I hope someone here has a good answer for me: how can DVD's & books cost just about the same as new cd's when they first come out and after just a few months, end up costing next to nothing? Take the movie 'The Wedding Singer.' You can pick up the DVD now for $7.50 - $9 at Wal-Mart or other such stores......or you might find it in a bundle with two other DVD's and the total cost is $15 for all three. However, the 'Wedding Singer' soundtrack is still something like $15 - $17 bucks......WHY? The same is true for most books. Brand new they can cost $20 or more and six months later, you can pick them up for close to half-price......WHY?

Here, new cds are almost always cheaper than normal, and then the prices skyrocket up to around $21.99, (from ~$10-15) after a couple of months.