Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Will Sonic Youth bother to sign a new label? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16962)

rapaz maldito 10.10.2007 09:53 AM

Will Sonic Youth bother to sign a new label?

n/a

Rob Instigator 10.10.2007 10:00 AM

they have their own labels they can use, Ecstatic Peace, Smells Like Records, but what is neede for a band as big as sonic youth is distribution. That distribution deal is the crucial one.

screamingskull 10.10.2007 10:03 AM

DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WUV YOUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

sonicl 10.10.2007 10:09 AM

I got the impression that Radiohead's "new trend" is simply an anti-leaking thing. Chasing Rainbows, or whatever it's called, is going to get a record company release some time in early 2008, isn't it?

Danny Himself 10.10.2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
they have their own labels they can use, Ecstatic Peace, Smells Like Records, but what is neede for a band as big as sonic youth is distribution. That distribution deal is the crucial one.

Ecstatic Peace has a sweet distribution deal... you can buy Awesome Color CDs in HMV.

screamingskull 10.10.2007 10:13 AM

don't shop in HMV, unless you absolutely have to. Its the devil.

Danny Himself 10.10.2007 10:14 AM

I know. I was just saying, thats how good the deal is.

scott v 10.10.2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I got the impression that Radiohead's "new trend" is simply an anti-leaking thing. Chasing Rainbows, or whatever it's called, is going to get a record company release some time in early 2008, isn't it?

From what I remember from a feature heard on NPR the "new Radiohead idea" is indeed an attempt to stop anti-leaking and free file sharing that is on the internet for their album. but to me is only a temporary solution and certainly not long term.

sarramkrop 10.10.2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapaz maldito
i dont think so.
they will probably opt for something similar to the new trend recently popularized by radiohead, dont you think?

No, they will put out records through Starbucks. How cool is that? And it's a trend too, so it's cool and trendy to match. Caramel-flavoured noise 7'' singles are on the way.

sonicl 10.10.2007 10:18 AM

Why is HMV the devil, s/skull? Explain yourself.

sarramkrop 10.10.2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapaz maldito
i dont care about cool and about trends. i dont speak english every fucking day, ever thought about that?
i tried to put things in a simple way. if you want to misinterpret things, fine idiot.

I beg your pardon???? What's that all about?

Rob Instigator 10.10.2007 10:33 AM

the radiohead album is being sold without any copy protection, so ayone can download it for a buck and make a million copies and sell them if they so wish.

screamingskull 10.10.2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Why is HMV the devil, s/skull? Explain yourself.

any large music store chain is the devil. i only shop in little independent places now.

SynthethicalY 10.10.2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
No, they will put out records through Starbucks. How cool is that? And it's a trend too, so it's cool and trendy to match. Caramel-flavoured noise 7'' singles are on the way.

And with shots of mp3's

pbradley 10.10.2007 10:55 AM

Doesn't sound like something Sonic Youth would do, their love of physical releases is well known. Nine Inch Nails, however, just fulfilled their contract obligations and seem exactly like the band to follow Radiohead's example but with probably more fanfare on their side as opposed to Radiohead's "oh, we finished it, here yah go."

sonicl 10.10.2007 10:57 AM

(to s/skull)
I'm not sure that there are any record shops that I would really think of as warm and fuzzy. The ones run by musicians (Boa Melody Bar and Mimaroglu, for instance), come fairly close, but, at the end of the day, no matter how good the intentions at the start, all record stores are there so that someone can make a living.

SynthethicalY 10.10.2007 10:59 AM

Yes agreed sonicl, I have no qualms at shopping at a regular store than an independent one. I usually go to the independent to find something I am looking for.

screamingskull 10.10.2007 11:01 AM

its just the independent places are cheaper, and they almost always have what you want. I'd rather keep them in business. i hate for them to close down.

sonicl 10.10.2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
its just the independent places are cheaper, and they almost always have what you want. I'd rather keep them in business. i hate for them to close down.

I agree with you on the point about not wanting small businesses to close down, but not the one about price. There's a lot of stuff that you still have to pay silly prices for at the independents.

Anyway, I'm off now. I'm going to see Cowboy Junkies play this evening - a band that has a remarkably good business model, selling it's "major" releases though "The Man", but also selling other releases exclusively through its own website at very reasonable prices.

sarramkrop 10.10.2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull

One name: Rough Trade. Not exactly a cheap record shop.