Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please take my survey regarding drug use and the creative arts! It's for school. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21862)

EMMAh 05.15.2008 01:03 PM

Gender (Please circle one): M / F
Location/Ethnicity: Canada/White
Are you an only child? (Please circle one)
Y / N

Are you parents separated? (Please circle one)
Y / N

Do you, or have you ever used illicit drugs? (Please circle one)
Y / N

Do you or have you ever abused other, legal substances? (E.g. alcohol, medication, huffing chemicals?) (Please circle one)

Y / N

If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices?
I used to drink but haven't for more than two years now (Since I was 15)

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs?
Because they are fun

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones?
Weed should at least be decriminalised.

Do your friends use similar drugs and/or share similar views to you? (Please circle one)
Yes No

Do you have a drug related mental condition? (Please circle one)
Yes No

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how?
Yes I do.

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to?
No, not really.

Have the attitudes presented in films towards drugs made you think about them in a different way? If so, please circle whether it positive or negative.
Positive Negative << both for this one

Do you feel that drug use is glorified in the world of creative arts? If so, please circle which aspect of the creative arts you feel glorifies drug use.
Film and Television Music Visual Art Literature Other (Please specify)
Sometimes

StevOK 05.15.2008 02:00 PM

Gender (Please circle one): M
Location/Ethnicity: Henrietta, TX / part white-part Hawaiian
N

N

Y

Do you or have you ever abused other, legal substances? (E.g. alcohol, medication, huffing chemicals?) (Please circle one)

Only a little.

If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices?

I've used marijuana on and off since high school. I tried coke once when I was 20 but I didn't like it. I drank a lot when I was 19-20, but I don't anymore. I enjoy the occasional pill from time to time, but I'm not hooked.

Weed makes me feel better. It helped me with my depression and anorexia. A combination of marijuana use and my amazing wife have helped me COMPLETELY overcome both.

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones?
Marijuana, definitely. It is the only drug I consider to be completely safe.

Do your friends use similar drugs and/or share similar views to you? (Please circle one)
Yes. Now, of course a lot of my friends use different drugs than I do, but I try not to get judgemental.

No

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how?
Of course. Drugs (especially psychadelics) have ways of altering your perception, oftentimes causing the user to see and create things that they otherwise could not.

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to?
I am not so easily told what to do. I do enjoy listening to music while I use marijuana, but the two are independent activities for me.

Have the attitudes presented in films towards drugs made you think about them in a different way? If so, please circle whether it positive or negative.
Negative, mostly.

Do you feel that drug use is glorified in the world of creative arts? If so, please circle which aspect of the creative arts you feel glorifies drug use.
Film and Television (Music) Visual Art (Literature) Other (Please specify)

Torn Curtain 05.15.2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevOK
Weed makes me feel better. It helped me with my depression and anorexia.

It's true that weed is said to stimulate appetite (hence its use by some cancer patients). I wouldn't recommend it against depression though (as it can decrease motivation), but if it helped you out well it's cool.

golden child 05.15.2008 02:58 PM

Gender (Please circle one): Male
Location/Ethnicity: Salem, Oregon, USA - WHITE
Are you an only child? No

No

Yes

Yes

First smoked weed like 12 or 13 years old but didnt really get into it until about 16
16 is about the first time I really got drunk also, don't really drink much unless its offered to me or around me which isnt much. Pretty much all 16,17ish

Experiencing new things, fun, to get high, mind expansion, boredom, fun

Weed, LSD, shrooms, I almost want to go as far to say all drugs should be decrimalized because of my libertarian political views but I don't have any eminent problems with hard drugs (heroin, meth etc) being illegal.

Yes, some atleast

No

no but I think they both attract the same types of people... so maybe thats a yes?

No, atleast not conciously. I listen to jazz, blues, rap, hardcore, noise etc.

Positive
I think they are often romantisized in film and literature, but not on a real wide scale.

I guess the previous answer is better for this one. I think it film and literature mostly and maybe a little in music

Trasher02 05.15.2008 03:12 PM

The aim of this questionnaire is to investigate why teenagers use drugs and also to see the creative arts (such as film, visual art and music) influences their attitudes about their decisions regarding drug use.

Location/Ethnicity: Diest - Belgium/white
Y / N

Y / N

Y / N

Y / N

If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices? Alcohol at the age of 11, Weed at the age of 15 and Mushrooms when I was 16

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs? I like the effect and it's fun to do with friends.

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones? Marihuana should be legalised fo sho

Yes No

Yes No

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how? Yeah

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to? Yes. Good music

Positive Negative

Film and Television Music Visual Art Literature Other (Please specify) Sorry I don't want to fill in this question

Thank you for taking this questionnaire

Sorry for this useless reply I'm just too stoned now.
KTHXBYE

Lurker 05.15.2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02

Sorry for this useless reply I'm just too stoned now.
KTHXBYE

Maybe that makes it more useful.

Trasher02 05.15.2008 03:19 PM

Haha yeah perhaps so

Rob Instigator 05.15.2008 03:21 PM

catholic school?

SYRFox 05.15.2008 03:28 PM

Location/Ethnicity: France
No

Yes

No

No

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs? I just don't see any interest.

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones? Maybe... some could, it may protect the user. I don't really have an opinion on that.

No

No

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how? Sometimes. Some artists are obviously influenced by their drugs experiences, while some make fantastic (and tripping) music without any drug. I think it depends on the artist

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to? No. Some of the artists I like are obviously over-druggies (see Ghost Exits faces for instance) but I don't care about what they take. I listen to what I like, whatever genre it may be tagged as. Generally I tend to prefer music that is somewhat experimental, but that doesn't forbid me to listen to noise, electronica, post-punk, noisy pop, or even techno/dance if I like what I hear

Nope

Music

Thank you for taking this questionnaire You're welcome

atsonicpark 05.15.2008 04:02 PM

Location/Ethnicity: Columbus, Indiana ... Caucasian
Are you an only child? (Please circle one) Y

Are you parents separated? (Please circle one) Y
Do you, or have you ever used illicit drugs? (Please circle one) Y
Do you or have you ever abused other, legal substances? (E.g. alcohol, medication, huffing chemicals?) (Please circle one) Y
If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices?: Pills, cough syrup - probably age 19

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs?: Creativity

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones?: Weed could very well be legal, though it should be regulated... if you could only smoke weed in bars or in your house and not operate a vehicle while doing it, what's the big deal? I don't even smoke weed.. I just don't see the harm behind it.

Do your friends use similar drugs and/or share similar views to you? (Please circle one)Yes

Do you have a drug related mental condition? (Please circle one) No

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how? Yes. Drugs make you disconnect from reality.. and make you more creative... or, rather, open your mind to things you wouldn't have otherwise thought of or done..

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to? No. And I listen to everything.

Neither.

Film and Television Music Visual Art Literature Other (Please specify) None. I don't think it's ever really "glorified" in art.... well, not any art that matters anyway.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.15.2008 04:20 PM

Gender (Please circle one): M / F
Location/Ethnicity: Pittsburgh suburb, white
Y / N

Y / N

Y / N

Y / N

alcohol- 18
benadryl-20 (I've stopped)

alcohol- most of the time just to relax, sometimes to get drunk
benadryl- anti-depressent/sleep aid/antihistimine

sure, all of them

Yes No

Yes No

To a certain extent. It's an experience, and art draws from experiences, but I don't think that being drunk or being doped on benadryl makes me a better artist.

No. I listen to a lot of different stuff.

Positive Negative

all of the above

you're welcome

Cantankerous 05.15.2008 04:28 PM

speaking of benadryl i did that once and it was SO WEIRD.

girlgun 05.15.2008 04:56 PM

Gender (Please circle one): F
Location/Ethnicity: Oklahoma/white
N

Y - divorced

Y

Y

alcohol- 11
cigs - 13
pot - 13
ecstasy - 17
random pain killers - antianxiety agents - 17
coke - 17
acid - 18
hash - 21?

i don't use drugs because i don't care to? i'm an adult. i smoked pot heavily for many years (20), but quit and now i don't enjoy it.

pot should be, yes.

Yes

no.. i don't use drugs anymore

not necessarily because it makes you more creative, but more because the art scene and the drug scene overlap. and there's an element of experimentation of course and i think that people who like to experiment with art also like to experiment in other aspects of their life.

hell no. although some music is better with whiskey. i listen to stuff that isn't gay.

Positive Negative
no. n/a.

i think it's all dependent on the person experiencing the "creative art". one person will find it great while another will find it a total turn off. person specific.

i left out some drugs i did accidentally or just did one time only. there was a period of time where i'd do anything you put in front of me.

✌➬ 05.15.2008 05:03 PM

The aim of this questionnaire is to investigate why teenagers use drugs and also to see the creative arts (such as film, visual art and music) influences their attitudes about their decisions regarding drug use.

Gender (Please circle one): M / Fm
Location/Ethnicity: Los Angeles, Hispanic
Y / NNo

Y / N No

Y / NY

Y / NNo

If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices? Weed

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs? My brother forced me

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones? Weed the only one. It is the same as alcohol.

Yes No I don't know

Yes No No

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how? No.

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to? Never.

Positive Negative Negative.

Film and Television Music Visual Art Literature Other (Please specify) All of them

I talked to my teacher and he said it would be fine if I posted this on a message board. Please reply seriously. Thanks!

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.15.2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
speaking of benadryl i did that once and it was SO WEIRD.

I've never taken enough to hallucinate. I was more of a misuser than an abuser. You're supposed to only take it as an anti-histamine and I didn't. Oh, and you're supposed to never take it with alcohol and I would.

Lurker 05.15.2008 06:01 PM

D E L E T E D

Lurker 05.15.2008 06:02 PM

D E L E T E D

!@#$%! 05.15.2008 06:10 PM

antihistamines are vasodilators so expect a significant drop in your blood pressure if you abuse it. normally they'd just make you drowsy.

you could get dizzy or faint and i suppose in extreme cases you could not deliver enough blood to your organs-- you can actually get a heart attack from LOW blood pressure, as well as kidney failure, and a bunch of other shit when you destroy your natural homeostasis.

i wish more people learned a bit of physiology before they start fucking with their body just for kicks.

Lurker 05.15.2008 06:17 PM

D E L E T E D

!@#$%! 05.15.2008 06:26 PM

try some wheat grass juice on an empty stomach & then let me know

if you're looking to fuck with your brain you could try peyote which is actually a great little plant with medicinal properties. but like all so-called entheogenics it's best used in a control environment.

you could also induce altered states with yoga, meditation, breathing & other such things that don't leave you permanently damaged in some stupid way.