Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   These Arms Are Snakes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19755)

Norma J 02.15.2008 09:11 PM

These Arms Are Snakes

Are one great band.

I think I've started one of these before.
Anyone else a fan of their great tunes?

http://www.myspace.com/thesearmsaresnakes

pbradley 02.15.2008 09:58 PM

Why do post-hardcore guys always look the same?

Anyways, I'll look into them. Any particular album?

Norma J 02.15.2008 10:21 PM

You've not heard them yet you're calling them 'post-hardcore'?

Get either of their albums. they're both great.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 02.15.2008 10:21 PM

I dig em'. Haven't listened to any of their albums just yet however.

avantgarde1 02.15.2008 10:42 PM

i thought this was gonna be about the character from xavier renegade angle lol.

pbradley 02.15.2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
You've not heard them yet you're calling them 'post-hardcore'?

Get either of their albums. they're both great.

iWikipedia

gmku 02.15.2008 10:51 PM

Probably the worst name I've heard yet for a band.

Norma J 02.15.2008 10:55 PM

That's 'cause you're old and have no concept of common day reality.

Norma J 02.15.2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
iWikipedia

I would not call them that. I don't know any band that sounds like Them. It'd be like calling Shellac or... some other band that may have elements of other forms of sounds, but is pretty stuck by themselves. to call them 'post-hardcore' is a major misjustice for them guys.

gmku 02.15.2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

That's 'cause you're old and have no concept of common day reality.

Prove it.

Norma J 02.15.2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Prove it.

Quote:

Probably the worst name I've heard yet for a band.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 02.15.2008 11:01 PM

haha,
I think it's a great band name.

Norma J 02.15.2008 11:13 PM

Yeah, so do I.

They write some of my favourite lyrics too:

When the sun came up on the small block of the city, we needed to find somewhere to drink. Through five days of working and two left to our person, we all needed sometime to breathe. So use your body as the engine for your weekend because this is no time to sleep. I want to create, I don't want to be constricted. I'm sick of working all of the time for someone else's needs. So give me some kind of section for my protection. What is this doing to me? I've got a life and desires, and it's more than to retire. I trust there's more in a life to lead. I want a minute with my woman and an hour outside of this city, and I don't care what you expect of me. No, I don't care what you expect of me. I want to detach this from me. If life is a movement, and I feel like I'm not moving, then what is the sense of giving all of your time away? When I want to go out into the streets, I want to drown myself in the mights touch. I'm never going to sleep again, till the day comes to collect my sin "Just take me home. It's not worth the effort. Just take me home." I've spent many nights in this very cty. It was worthless last time, and it will be this evening. Thank you and goodnight.

Everyneurotic 02.15.2008 11:18 PM

ok band.

botch were much much better.

Norma J 02.15.2008 11:23 PM

No way. They don't sound anything like Botch. You mights of well have just said Sonic Youth.

Ok, I see you were referring to former members now being in TAAS

pbradley 02.15.2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

I would not call them that. I don't know any band that sounds like Them. It'd be like calling Shellac or... some other band that may have elements of other forms of sounds, but is pretty stuck by themselves. to call them 'post-hardcore' is a major misjustice for them guys.

Cool.

batreleaser 02.16.2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
ok band.

botch were much much better.

botch is better than 99.9 percent of any bands that came out from 97-02. the best of the artsy fartsy metal core band, which is pretty fuckin good, considering dillinger escape plan, converge, and coalesce.

Norma J 02.16.2008 01:31 AM

Botch aren't bad. I haven't heard a great deal of them though, not much at all really.

But they're not comparable to These Arms Are Snakes, other than a member or two.

Cantankerous 02.16.2008 01:48 AM

not into it.

PAULYBEE2656 02.16.2008 05:26 AM

i have easter and to be honest i havent really given it much listen. i bought it a while back and was underwhelmed by my first listen. it went on the shelf and never got played again but i am not dismissing them as shit. far from it, i just read so much about how great they were and they didnt live up to it for me, a good band, not a great one.... i could say that for most stuff ive bought from the jade tree label tho....

ill put it on again later in the car tho..........its in my hand now