Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth in Paris - La Vilette Jazz festival (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13038)

lalie 05.09.2007 05:37 AM

Sonic Youth in Paris - La Vilette Jazz festival

with Guests Mats Gustafson, Michel Doneda and Jean-Marc Monterra.
Sounds nice!
Tickets are 30 euros, seems they're not on sale yet though...
Anyone thinking about going ?

sonicl 05.09.2007 05:40 AM

Bloody hell! Yes, I am! It'll probably mean not going to the DDN show in London, but, fuck it, I love Paris.

EDIT - And it's at Cite de la Musique. The show there in the autumn of 2005 was one of the best SY shows I've been to, and the quality of the venue played a major part in that. I'll be there, somehow.

EDIT 2 - Oh, it's not at Cite de la Musique, or at least not the same hall as in 2005, it's in the Grande Halle.

pbradley 05.09.2007 05:54 AM

I'm so jealous that going to france is just a hop over the channel.

I should move to england when I get my shit together.

sonicl 05.09.2007 07:39 AM

I've booked through fnac. I don't know if I'm actually going to be able to go, as my girlfriend's birthday is the next day, but I've booked anyway.

greenlight 05.10.2007 02:45 AM

this sounds hell of an interesting show. thinking to go.

do you think it's going to be whole impro. set?

sonicl 05.10.2007 03:57 AM

I've no idea what to expect, but, after I begged and grovelled a decent amount, my girlfriend has given me permission to go, despite the fact that it means that I'll be out of the country for much of her birthday. She's a good lass, that one.

lalie 05.10.2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I've no idea what to expect, but, after I begged and grovelled a decent amount, my girlfriend has given me permission to go, despite the fact that it means that I'll be out of the country for much of her birthday. She's a good lass, that one.

And are you still going to the Daydream Nation show?

sonicl 05.10.2007 10:37 AM

I don't know if I'll go to the Daydream Nation show yet. I'm hoping to go, but I did say to my girlfriend that I wouldn't go to both if she didn't want me to.

I'm very excited about the Paris show - I've spent most of today checking out possible places to stay.

whorefrost 05.10.2007 03:14 PM

I could imagine em doing an SYR6 style imrpov set.. would be glorious... half tempted to go myself...

Bertrand 05.10.2007 03:51 PM

I've got a ticket.
The prospect of seeing them twice in a couple days span showing two rather different aspect of their music is quite motivating.

greenlight 05.11.2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
The prospect of seeing them twice in a couple days span showing two rather different aspect of their music is quite motivating.

and add something more ;-)...., yeah definitelly.

whorefrost 05.11.2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

I've got a ticket.

where'd you get the ticket, chief?

HECKLER SPRAY 05.11.2007 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
where'd you get the ticket, chief?

try this :
http://www.fnacspectacles.com/recher...h&categorie=-7
33 euros

king_buzzo 05.11.2007 07:38 AM

No fast ways of getting there...

HECKLER SPRAY 05.11.2007 07:41 AM

You can also take your bike, cross the Channel, go to Paris and find a good record store...

lalie 05.11.2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

I'm very excited about the Paris show - I've spent most of today checking out possible places to stay.

I don't know what kind of place you're looking for, but Ibis hotel all over Paris have that "Happy 30" offer, you get half price when you book more than one month in advance. Rather interesting. :)

Will you take Eurostar to go to London Bertrand? I must check for tickets.

sonicl 05.11.2007 07:50 AM

Thank you, Lalie. I'll have a look at that. I've booked somewhere else, but I can cancel that booking easily.

Bertrand 05.11.2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalie
I don't know what kind of place you're looking for, but Ibis hotel all over Paris have that "Happy 30" offer, you get half price when you book more than one month in advance. Rather interesting. :)

Will you take Eurostar to go to London Bertrand? I must check for tickets.

I will take the Eurostar, yes.
I'll leave friday in the morning (if I'm still umeployed, that is), to be back on sunday.
I haven't bought any tickets yet. I tried to got some when I booked for the Roundhouse but wasn't given any answer for it was too far ahead in time for the Eurostar/SNCF site to drop schedules (and good prices too maybe).

racehorse 05.14.2007 05:41 PM

well that's my ticket & eurostar up to london booked! i'm getting the eurostar train on the 30th after la villette. maybe i'll actually say hi to you this time bertrand!
ps. peter brotzmann and han bennick have been added! i'm hoping they won't be playing DDN, although it's a jazz fest so i'm pretty sure they will be doing some more experimental stuff. looking forward to it in a big way!

Bertrand 05.15.2007 08:02 AM

I guess I'll be hanging at l'Horloge (Métro Porte de Pantin line 5, direction Bobigny, exit Sente des Dorées, n° 210 avenue Jean Jaurès) before the gig. I'll try to find a seat by the windows, close to the door, and I'll grab the ones I recognize.

racehorse 05.15.2007 10:28 AM

l'horloge... is that the one near le zenith?

lalie 05.15.2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

I will take the Eurostar, yes.
I'll leave friday in the morning (if I'm still umeployed, that is), to be back on sunday.
I haven't bought any tickets yet. I tried to got some when I booked for the Roundhouse but wasn't given any answer for it was too far ahead in time for the Eurostar/SNCF site to drop schedules (and good prices too maybe).

Apparently you can get a return ticket for 77 euros, which is not too bad.

sonicl 05.15.2007 03:23 PM

I've just booked my Eurostar crossing. I'll be arriving at Gare du Nord at 11.00 am on 29th August, and I'll be very disappointed if I don't get some sort of a welcoming committee.

Bertrand 05.16.2007 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
l'horloge... is that the one near le zenith?

That's the same. Sonic Youth will play la halle, which was being repaired in December. The big building very slightly on the left, behind the fountain.

Quote:

I've just booked my Eurostar crossing. I'll be arriving at Gare du Nord at 11.00 am on 29th August, and I'll be very disappointed if I don't get some sort of a welcoming committee.

I might try to be there. What would you like to see that you haven't already seen?

sonicl 05.16.2007 04:44 AM

I have to catch an early train back to London the next day, so I won't have time for sightseeing. As long as I know where to find Paris' decent music shops, I'll be happy :)

I can't beleive I'm visiting Paris for one afternoon. What a waste... :(

greenlight 05.16.2007 01:20 PM

can't wait. looking forward. so how long is it, 15 weeks to go?

greenlight 05.17.2007 05:02 AM

so who else is going? tapers? Trirs?

sonicl 05.17.2007 05:08 AM

^
The only people I know are going for sure are you, Lalie, Bertrand, racehorse and me. He hasn't expressly said he is, but I'm assuming that HECKLER SPRAY will be, seeing as he is near Paris. There are a couple of other people who I know are thinking about it, but I don't know if they've decided one way or the other yet.

whorefrost 05.17.2007 05:27 AM

I'm going. Still haven't organised tickets but I will do that tonight. Just need to see if my friend has a credit card that will be accepted on the ticket site. If not, will need to borrow my old man's card and bite the extortionate shipping cost bullet.

sonicl 05.17.2007 05:34 AM

Splendid!

whorefrost 05.17.2007 05:47 AM

It's going to be excellent seeing them perform DDN in Glasgow on the 22nd and then some improv-jazz thing a week later in Paris on the 29th...

my only dillema is whether or not to hang on to my Roundhouse tickets and see DDN a second time in London..

sonicl 05.17.2007 05:57 AM

I think a few people have a London vs other cities decision to make. There are other DDN shows coming up next month aren't there? I may make a decision on whether to go the London show based on what people say about those.

I can't help thinking that there may be a fair few board members offloading their tickets for the London shows now that other dates have been announced. A lot of London tickets got bought on the basis that it was going to be a one-off, I reckon, and, now that other dates have been announced, people don't need/want to go to the London ones after all.

whorefrost 05.17.2007 06:01 AM

sage advice as ever, sonicl.. I'll wait for a few initial reviews to make a more informed decision..

HECKLER SPRAY 05.17.2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

^
. He hasn't expressly said he is, but I'm assuming that HECKLER SPRAY will be, seeing as he is near Paris.

Well, I 'm gonna try to, I don't know precisely if I work this day, I can't check at once. But I really want to, the last time I saw them was in december with Dino Jr, and this new show looks to be excellent. It's not so far away from my home, I'm in south suburb and La Villette is in the northern district of Paris. I can't miss this occasion.

greenlight 05.17.2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

I think a few people have a London vs other cities decision to make.

I had to forget about Ireland show. 220 euro for 3day festival, but can't buy one day ticket. sorry, but no. it would be too expensive. Rather London. i'd like to see them here tho. aghrr.

lalie 05.17.2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

A lot of London tickets got bought on the basis that it was going to be a one-off, I reckon, and, now that other dates have been announced, people don't need/want to go to the London ones after all.

If I had knew they were to play DDN in Roma in july, I would have booked ticket for it instead of London! I've never been there and I'd like to go so much! The SY show would have been a nice occasion.

But going to London is nice too...

farmhouse 05.17.2007 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
It's going to be excellent seeing them perform DDN in Glasgow on the 22nd and then some improv-jazz thing a week later in Paris on the 29th...

my only dillema is whether or not to hang on to my Roundhouse tickets and see DDN a second time in London..

yeah man! fuck it. me and a friend have decided to do a youth road trip.

Leave on the wednesday and head north to terneuzen for supplies . . .
Come down to Paris and do the Jazz fest . . . staying in Paris wednesday and thursday night . . .
Friday morning head back across the channel . . . maybe stopping home for a wash but probably not . . . then straight to London for two nights of DDN shows at the roundhouse! Staying at my little sister's pad in primrose hill in the process . . .

C'mon now . . . that sounds a bit sweet don't it??

sonicl 08.08.2007 05:42 AM

Three weeks to go....

farmhouse 08.08.2007 05:56 AM

i still haven't got tickets/a ticket for this. worry is my only friend.

whorefrost 08.08.2007 05:58 AM

just been organising transport.. i'm seeing SY twice in glasgow, once in paris, once in london..
my dad: "bit keen, yeah?"