Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My Mudhoney/Buzzcocks live experience in short (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2263)

shentov 05.27.2006 06:55 AM

My Mudhoney/Buzzcocks live experience in short

bee baa. so i saw mudhoney and buzzcocks [20/21 may] in athens greece. in short-it was an amazing experience for a boy who didn't see much good gigs around. so, after seeing sonic youth the mudhoney show was the best ever to have seen. the boys are still very tight, great sounding. the vibe is there, they are not 3000 yo dinosaurs as some of my friends expected. they play as in 1992 ( i mean tight and fresh, and hard). they played much of under a billion suns as well as from their early stuff. playing sweet young thing was a kick ass thing to me, i loved it so much. most of superfuzzbigmuff was on. mark cranked his fender amp an had to finish the show with a marshall he obviously didnt like, but he actually did the sound right after the first song with it. the only song that was a bit bad was 'if i think'- it was the last, after two 'extra' sets, and it was mark's singing, so it may be becuz he was tired or had the bowl upstairs already [kiddin].
after the show we caught them on the exit, had the usual fan stuff and took pics [hope they turned out, shooting film is so uh oh. . .retro]. my friend alex told mark 'hey i like mr. epp & the calculations and thrown ups and he was like my god, where did you get these. also people seem to be amazed every time we say we travelled so much just to see a band. same with mudhoney.
the buzzcocks- i saw them myself [my pal was drinking with some fellow basque (sp?) people and missed the show]. now they are dinos, but still sound tight. but pete shelley's belly makes me laugh. they are still good after the reunion but their stage appearance is a bit static and cold. [well, they ARE like 3000 yo, so it's normal i guess] only steve diggle fucks here and there with his guitar. he was actually drunk on champagne after the show.
they were even more friendly, took endless pics with fans, gave us beers, talked a lot, signed my bag, etc.
the other great thing that happened in greece was i met saoq from this board. he was very very kind to let us leave our stuff at his place, take us to bars all night and give us like half bottle of cutty sark so we got drunk. also he gave me great music! thanks saoq!!!
now i am going to take my films from the photo shop, and then see the fellow basque/spanish people who let us stay @ their place in athens for a week. now they are in bulgaria, so there is lots of drinking and fun around.
cheers.

fishmonkey 05.27.2006 09:10 AM

good i'm glad you liked it.i remember you were pretty psyched about going, you were posting about where the venue is and that.
good review too man.

toxic johnny 05.27.2006 11:49 AM

I second Fishmonkey's sentiments...
I saw Mudhoney the other week at ATP and really enjoyed them... actually the last time I saw them was in the 80's when they supported SY so it was really interesting to see them again after all of this time... it sounds like you really enjoyed your trip... big respect for the amount of miles travelled to see the gigs.
I used to do the same sort of shit when I was 16 - 27.

DemonBox 05.27.2006 11:49 AM

Sounds great man! Good review too.

atari 2600 05.27.2006 12:34 PM

My mind was blown by them the one time I saw them when they came to Athens, Georgia to play the 40 watt in the '90s.

They were the kind of band that was so amazingly great live that it pissed you off to see the majority of the crowd just standing there staring.

Noteworthy was that they covered Styx's Renegade. I googled to see if they played that song on that tour or whatever, & found nothing.

Mudride 05.27.2006 12:45 PM

HEY ! shentov nice review ! would be cool to see some of the pics that you took ! kudos to you !
I saw the muds last year when they played with Pearl Jam and they totally kick PJ's ass ! viva Mudhoney ! :D

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 05.27.2006 03:00 PM

Yeah, Mudhoney and Buzzcocks are two of my favorite live shows... it was almost unreal how much fun I had at both.

I am always fonder of a fun show than a technically sound show.

Their classics never get old and they never seem tired of playing them.

Kim C Not G 05.27.2006 04:40 PM

I'm glad you had a good experience and had the privelege to see such cool bands. Eh, I hope I'm not bothering you but I'm still curious to see how your interview with Steve Diggle came out.

Andrés 05.27.2006 06:48 PM

Wow!! Mudhoney and The Buzzcocks, two days in a row! you lucky bastard! ;)