Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The band you've tried hardest to like but never got there? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23731)

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:11 PM

The band you've tried hardest to like but never got there?

the ones you keep having another bite at, but never quite like the taste.

atsonicpark 07.24.2008 03:14 PM

None. If I don't enjoy it, I don't enjoy it, move along. There's plenty of great bands out there, no point wasting time trying to like a band.

The only band I can remember consistently trying to listen to years ago to figure out why people liked 'em was Queens of the Stone Age. I got to a point where I liked a few of their songs but still don't really see the big deal, especially compared to Kyuss.

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:24 PM

Led Zeppelin. I keep trying but no, nothing.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.24.2008 03:25 PM

Why does anybody like TOOL?

gmku 07.24.2008 03:25 PM

This thread doesn't make sense to me. Why would I try so hard to like something that I don't like?

MellySingsDoom 07.24.2008 03:29 PM

Good point well made, gmku. But still...is it wrong to admit tha I've never really "got" either the Smiths or the Stone Roses? To be honest, I find both bands as boring as hell.

Rob Instigator 07.24.2008 03:31 PM

I have tried (meaning repeated listens to various records by them) and never goten into

The SWans - they bore the living shit out of me

Radiohead - I like one song for a bit then I get fed up with their wankery

smashing pumpkins - so many people stand by them, I listen to all their albus, the only one I am close to digging is Gish, while all the others leave me feeling cold, like I am listening to one of the several SHITTY Peter Gabriel solo records...

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:31 PM

^^no, but did you just listen to the smiths once and then right them off?

MellySingsDoom 07.24.2008 03:33 PM

demonrail - I've listened to them loads of times, but come up blank, as it were. I will say that "How Soon Is Now" is a great tune, but the rest of their oeuvre leaves me scratching my head and going "Duh..."

MellySingsDoom 07.24.2008 03:34 PM

Rob - Smashing Pumpkins are Gash Central. They are truly a borefest to my ears.

gmku 07.24.2008 03:34 PM

I think if you've not warmed to something after a couple listens, it's not worth your time to keep at it.

On the other hand, I have come around to like things after not liking them. That's why I believe in keeping everything you buy. For example, I had given up on Love's Forever Changes, and then one day on a whim after not listening to it for about 6 months, I put it on again and fell in love with it immediately.

Music should be fun, not hard work.

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:34 PM

But that's the point. Whether we like it or not, we do give some bands more of a go, so to speak, than others.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 07.24.2008 03:34 PM

i think that in order to really really get there then its not enough to simply want to like a band but you should listen to the whole way to ensure that your first impression isnt your ultimate account of said bands.

try this: if you agree then its a lot more fulfilling and indeed necessary when it comes to agreeing and necessitating the things that are there.

if that doesn't work then try this: dont try too hard to think that.

MellySingsDoom 07.24.2008 03:35 PM

Tis true. I don't hate Oasis, as you know, but I never thought them to be anything but a re-hash of other shit I've heard before.

Rob Instigator 07.24.2008 03:36 PM

some bands, like devandra barnhard, are only going to get one listen from me

I do not need to smell a turd twice to know it is shit.

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:38 PM

Well yes, clearly Barnhard warrants just the slightest of tastes before absolute rejection can ensue. But, I dunno, Pink Floyd?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.24.2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The SWans - they bore the living shit out of me

I feel the same way about many of the bands mentioned on these boards, many of them just seem to be a little too pretentious or intelligent (perhaps, a little bit of both) for their own good.

However, I must disagree and say that SWANS are excellent. Have you given Angels of Light a try? Although, the band features Gira, they are a bit more melody focused than SWANS.

Rob Instigator 07.24.2008 03:47 PM

I will give angels of Gira a few listens.

The swans just do not make my brain or ears sparkle.
It is like the early melvins without a sense of humor.

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:49 PM

I will keep buying whatever Jon Spencer puts out, fully aware that it'll be dreadful, but somehow still hoping that it might be utterly amazing.

demonrail666 07.24.2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I will give angels of Gira a few listens.

The swans just do not make my brain or ears sparkle.
It is like the early melvins without a sense of humor.

I used to like them alot but recently have found myself unable to listen to them, for very much those reasons.