Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Am I the only person who doesnt think Sister is that good? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35668)

the ikara cult 11.07.2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
your original point refers to the sound quality on the apparatus you were using. maybe you need to upgrade. on the other hand, sister has been canonized because of its lo-fi recording levels. i say, enjoy the warm fuzziness if you can.

Maybe i didnt make it clear, I have had the album for 5 odd years now and ive listened to it on much better sound systems.

cagedbird 11.07.2009 12:33 AM

you never get a second chance to make a first impression. anyway, i see what you are saying. it is not a top 5 for me. it's hit and miss. i guess we're better off with Hold That Tiger

The Earl Of Slander 11.07.2009 06:45 AM

See, while I'm kind of in the "Sister is overrated" camp, I have to say that the version of Schizophrenia is stunning! I love it over any live version I've heard. One of the best drum sounds ever.

the ikara cult 11.07.2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
this thread is bullshit

you might not like it, but bullshit it aint

cagedbird 11.07.2009 10:43 AM

Sonic Youth are not perfect.

Jeremy 11.07.2009 12:07 PM

Sister is a record that I rarely listen to these days, but whenever I do I always take out the CD afterwards thinking, "Now that's a fucking awesome record!".

One of the reasons I like it so much is the length. Every song serves its purpose without overstating it or going too long. It has a nice chunk of classics, like Schizophrenia obviously among your Cotton Crowns and Catholic Blocks.

That cover art is fantastic. It's a rare instance of actually giving you an idea of what the record is like, I think, with all the crazy pictures next to each other with no rhyme or reason.

I'll probably listen to this later today when I'm with the girlfriend.

~Jeremy~

[Sandbag] 11.07.2009 12:34 PM

I like all of the songs and I like it as a whole album, but sometimes it gets boring or bland... It always depends on my mood though..

Some songs, like schizophrenia, might seem overrated but general consensus doesnt affect my taste in music..

I like the way the guitars sound...

reginald 11.07.2009 04:19 PM

I like the Sister tunes better LIVE than the studio. I agree with an earlier poster about the production (being thin?) and also with others about the quality of the songs. GREAT STUFF !!

The studio production on it needs to be FATTER IMO.

SONIC GAIL 11.09.2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
Sister is amazing for the fact that it is very skronktified.

hey stereo stations
perfect image, kneel down
hey hyperstatic information
c'mon let's hear you turn it around

FUCK yeah!!!!!:)

Sister is the end all be all

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.06.2011 04:04 AM

Sister SHREDS!! My favorite SY release at the moment (w/ Daydream + Bad Moon tied for 2nd). It's very tight-sounding, and doesn't mind getting straight to the point. I like that.

Schizophrenia, Catholic Block, Beauty Lies in the Eye, Stereo Sanctity, Pipeline/Kill Time, Pacific Coast Highway, White Cross, and Master-Dik are all among their absolute best. Nearly every track is golden.

RanaldoNecro 04.06.2011 07:11 AM

Tuff Narl

SONIC GAIL 04.06.2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
FUCK yeah!!!!!:)

Sister is the end all be all

I still stand by this statement

SONIC GAIL 04.06.2011 08:48 AM

Sterio Sanctity

washer 04.06.2011 09:28 AM

Can't agree with you, ikara cult, as there's a lot of songs on Sister that I love. It has one of the SY tunes that I dislike the most, though... Hot Wire My Heart. I almost can't stand it, actually.

hevusa 04.06.2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
It sounds crazy, as I'm a fan of the band, but I've never listened to "Sister".

You are not a SY fan if you don't own sister.

Derek 04.06.2011 11:12 AM

'Sister' is boring. One of my least listened to SY records.

Pelle 04.06.2011 11:52 AM

Defenitly not their best album. It's one of the albums that I don't listen a lot to. So I do agree with you..

EVOLghost 04.06.2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by washer
Can't agree with you, ikara cult, as there's a lot of songs on Sister that I love. It has one of the SY tunes that I dislike the most, though... Hot Wire My Heart. I almost can't stand it, actually.

Hotwire my Heart is rather weak....but there are a lot of killer tunes on there.

stu666 04.06.2011 12:11 PM

probably the best...

Frosty 04.06.2011 01:05 PM

Yeah, come to think of it I don't play Sister all that much....

but always end up nabbing 3 or 4 songs when putting some SY tunes on my mp3 player. Beauty Lies in the Eye and Schizophrenia.

A friend of mine would totally disagree with this, saying "Sister is the best SY record!" and defend his opinion relentlessly, ruffled feathers and all. hahahaha.